Moving without them

(2 posts)
  1. sadcanadian

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 27 2016 22:23:57
    #

Login to Send PM

So I discovered a live adult confirmed bedbug (it looked male and the PCO agreed) and after hearing from our PCO that he had inspected an apartment on the floor above us (not directly above I don't think) which had a pretty bad infestation, about a month ago, I'm convinced that the building (10 units) is infested and since I was going to move at the end of April anyway, I figure that I should just do that ASAP because I'm stressed out living out of plastic bags and don't want to spend any time in the place. I'm moving at the end of February (didn't want to pick up and abandon my roommate without notice, and can't afford to pay rent for two places), and want some advice on how to treat my things and move without bringing them.

I was planning on buying a larger bed anyway, so I'm just going to wrap and dispose of my mattress and futon (futon is where I found the bug) and buy new when I actually move so they aren't really a concern for me.

I'm laundering all my clothes and fabrics and keeping them in sealed ziploc bags and will probably wash and reseal them all again before I go - for now I'm basically wearing the same 3 outfits repeatedly, with a pair of shoes that I'm 99% sure are clear and am keeping them in ziploc bags while not wearing them. All my dishes will go through the dishwasher and put in clear plastic garbage bags and sealed up right before the move. Everything that can be washed in hot water and detergent will be (bottles of makeup/nail polish/jewelry/etc).

I guess I should mention that the PCO treated my bedroom (baseboards and furniture excluding mattress which had no signs) and the walls surrounding it, with Tempo dust and Drione spray, but there are so many gaps under baseboards and so many other hiding places that I don't feel like it would be effective for long if they're inhabiting the walls. My roommate is clearly not as concerned as me and neither is my landlord or property manager.

For the time being I am sealing all things I take outside of the apartment (I do spend a few nights a week away from this place) - so in the morning I wake up, run naked to the bathroom and shower, then dress in clothes and shoes from sealed bags, and put any necessary things (from sealed bags) in my purse that I wash in hot water every week or so and also keep sealed when at home. My school stuff (just a folder and a notebook) I keep on the kitchen table and am now also sealing while here just in case. The only possibilities I can see for spreading anything to friends/work is inside my phone or on my shoes when I walk from the bathroom to the door (about 6 ft).

I'm just worried about the other stuff - namely, my laptop, TV (40ish inch flatscreen that I'm borrowing from my parents), PS3, books, games, dvds, guitar, harp+wooden case (that was under my futon when I found the bb), sewing machine, picture frames, 3'x4' unpainted canvas, expensive camera and recording equipment, and 3 smallish plants.

I don't have enough money to pay for a moving truck to heat my stuff, and since I live in Canada Vikane is not an option. I can't have my laptop and camera in storage for 18 months because I'm a student with photography jobs on the side.

After reading up on these forums, I feel like Nuvan (or other DDVP strips) are my best bet. I was thinking, 2 weeks before the move, I would place the stuff in thick garbage bags (I'll see if I can get thick contractor bags), very loosely packed, with a strip in each, and knot then fold over and tape the ends and place in another bag or plastic bin (i have a few bins). I would leave them sealed for 2-3 weeks just to make sure all possible hatched eggs are killed, and everything is treated, in my current bedroom with the heat on so that it isn't too cold (I read that room temperature is best for dispersal of the vapour).

My question is, does this sound like a good plan? I was a bit scared when I read that 2011 study about how ddvp wasn't effective against bed bugs but others seem to think it is. I'm terrified that I might bring some with me (bed bug infestations have been my worst fear for a long time now) or that the treatment won't work.

How would I best go about treating, packing, and unpacking? Should I have ddvp treatment finished before I move? Or should I treat and then air out when I get there (I can stay elsewhere and leave a window open to air out)? I would most likely be using my dad's work van (used to transport wooden cabinetry that he makes - I wouldn't want to infest any of that) to move my things, so should I double bag the items immediately after putting the ddvp in then remove the outer bag when I leave this apartment so that no possible bugs/eggs are stuck to them? What about the clothes I wear while carrying this stuff out to the car?

Has anyone had ddvp fail? Why would it fail? I can't exactly check for them thoroughly inside my laptop or tv or other electronics so I'm worried I wouldn't even know if it was effective.

What should I do with my plants? I'm worried that a visual inspection and plant insecticide wouldn't feel effective enough for me. Should I just leave them behind?

Am I being thorough enough? I can't stand the thought of bringing them with me, even though I haven't seen any signs they're here other than the one live bug....which almost scares me more because I read that a lot of people never see them and they might just live in the walls.....

2. thisisanightmare

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 28 2016 19:03:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm moving too! They won't admit to us that a neighbor had a bad infestation but we saw the woman below us having her carpets torn out..weird right? Just afraid of bringing them to new place. Good luck to you I wish you the best

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,846 posts in 49,561 topics over 153 months by 21,714 of 22,159 members. Latest: Guardian4, bughelpplz, defeatthem45