Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Moving - with or without bed bugs?

(17 posts)
  1. Gypsy

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu May 22 2008 11:39:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I discovered my first bed bug early in May 08. I had suspicions about them, but had never actually found a bug on my bed. The ones I saw in my apartment, didn't look like bed bugs, I had seen one or two and killed them as I found them. On the Friday night, when I finally had time (work two jobs), I flipped over my mattress and sure enough, found a whole bunch of the critters hiding in the box spring, not quite adult size. I had already done my homework online with research.

Since it was Friday night and the management office was closed for the weekend, I tore everything apart, vaccummed and cleaned all the bedding in hot water, vaccumed the pillows, comforter, mattresses, sprayed everything with RAID. Cleaned all my clothes out of the closet and bagged what I could. I invested in several vac packs and packed more things over the weekend. By Monday morning I had found bugs in the upstairs bathroom, hallway and both bedrooms (multi-unit apartment building, could have been there before I moved in).

Monday morning I insisted management send in an exterminator - which wasn't done until the following Monday! I managed to control the infestation somewhat but wasn't able to sleep in my mattress again. For peace of mind I moved to my couch (which was 30 years old anyway and needs replacing). I keep the cushions sealed with a clean bed sheet, and have placed another sheet on top of that, and vaccum the couch as often as I can.

My question is. I'm moving May 31st. The apartment has been treated once by PCO. I have another appointment on the 26th for a second treatment. But I will be long gone by the third treatment. I've packed up all my clothes that I am keeping (about three bags worth). I'm discarding all my towels, bedding, winter clothes (they're old anyway) leaving the wood furniture and mattresses for the professionals to clean and discard so I don't bring my new friends with me.

I've checked dvds and vhs tapes, cd's and books and have sealed them into containers, with tape around the edges and covering holes. My dishes were all washed and are now sealed except for the bare minimum that I need to use before my move. I will be replacing all the furniture once I move into the new condo (received a settlement from my management company - finally).

How safe is my tv? My computer? My digital/electronic piano? These are items I can not part with and use daily for my home business. My life is on that computer. I'm leaving behind the computer desk as it is made of wood, but need to take the computer with me and use right away. I have thousands of dollars worth of music books that are not replaceable and need to come with me as well as other valuable reference materials. Any advice?

2. nightshirt

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu May 22 2008 15:47:07
    #

Login to Send PM

tricky. i would feel more comfortable if you waited to move until you know you are bb free where you are. you know all it takes is one tagging along.

3. Gypsy

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri May 23 2008 11:25:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Can't...I had planned on moving before discovering the bed bugs, the paperworks been done. At least I discovered them before I moved, I can't afford to pay rent in two places. I'm thinking of hiring the exterminator on my own though, have him spray the new place after I move all my stuff in, just as extra precaution. And maybe even have him do a second spray. That should kill anything that may come along for the trip. I'm discarding most furniture (most old wood and old couches). The furniture's been treated, but "just in case".

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri May 23 2008 11:42:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Best thing you can do is move. Back carefully, unpack carefully but quickly.

When full set up in the new place keep checking for activity and get treated if you brought any with you.

Its better to eradicate and then move but this is not always possible, in which case move and get unpacked as quickly as you can so you can see if anything came with you.

With regards PCO treating just in case any good PCO will not treat just in case they will base the treatment on evidence of an infestation. Those that do with "just in case" do little more than spray and prey which is not the way to deal with Bed Bugs.

David

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  5. Gypsy

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri May 23 2008 13:45:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks bugscouk. I'll keep that in mind and look for little critters after I move. I've washed all the clothes I'm taking with me, and plan on throwing clothes immediately into my new washer/dryer (yay a private one) once I unpack. Someone suggested bug bombs to me, not sure how effective those would be, say to store them in the laundry room? Anything washable (dishes), I will be washing immediately in my new (yay me) dishwasher.

For peace of mind, I'm buying all new bedding, comforters, mattress protectors (for the box spring too), a metal bed frame, and towels. And for the first while I will tape the frame legs. I know you don't have to buy all new things...but it's more for peace of mind. So I can actually lay down at night without worrying. Though I suspect that may take some time as I'm still inspecting every piece of lint, dust or crumb I find on the floor....lol

6. Gypsy

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri May 23 2008 13:49:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Also a tip - I've invested in some nice durable, clear plastic containers to pack a lot of my stuff in. Small things are being put into ziplock bags - things I won't need for awhile. These bins are great, highly recommend them. Work great for storing clothes as well!

7. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri May 23 2008 15:07:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I would suggest that you read through the FAQ's. If you don't know about bug bomb effect you need to focus on reading things before you start planning the move.

David

8. Gypsy

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri May 23 2008 15:45:37
    #

Login to Send PM

*Edited*

My move absolutely can not be resheculed. The building I live in is falling apart and my move was scheduled two months before I discovered the bed bugs, which have come from another apartment. My infestation, was "not that bad" and is mostly bugs coming in from the empty apartment next door looking for food. I've only seen a few beds at a time, the most at once was about 9 on the mattress. I'd say less than 40 bugs have been found.

I have read through this entire website, front and back, and have performed research on my own. I've taken necessary steps to treat my belongings, and will be discarding quite a lot of the stuff that can not be cleaned. HOWEVER, my life is in my computer and piano, and I refuse to part with these. The piano sits high on a metal stand which has been treated - and I will ask the PCO to treat again when he revisits.

Before I visit friends, I will literally go out and purchase new clothing items (especially if I am staying over night at my boyfriends) and take only essential items. I leave the new clothes over there in a plastic bag, so they do not become infested. My linens are all washed, repeatedly in hot water and detergent, and have been bagged. Small items like cds/dvds have been sealed, cleaned one by one, zipped in ziplock bags and sealed into plastic bins with lids - which have also been taped down. My winter clothes, jackets, shoes and bedding will all be discarded.

I have planned for the move, we are moving CLEAN and DISINFECTED items out of the apartment first. We are leaving the mattresses, couch and chairs for the PCO to treat a third time, and then they will be discarded by mangaement. Wood furniture, which is old, is being discarded after treatment as well.

What more can I possibly do? I can't discard everything I own, and refuse to lose everything I have worked hard for. I'm not going to let myself get sick over these bugs, and I am not going to wind up on a therapists couch, because of bugs. I have survived much in my life, and refuse to let this get me down. My vent for the day.

Gypsy

9. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri May 23 2008 16:17:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Were bugs found in he same room as the piano and books, computer? If possible, I would look into chamber fumigation with vikane on items that you need to keep that cannot be treated. I would do that before bringing those items to the new place. What's nice about it you can pretty much treat anything with that. That's the most guaranteed treatment option there is as of right now.
    As for going to friends homes, boyfriends etc... if you just toss the outfit in the dryer for about a half hour, immediately bag it in a ziplock until you put it on your body, you should be fine. You can vikane all your belongings including computers, shoes, books, furniture etc... before your move. Look into it on the faq's and google it for more info.

10. Gypsy

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri May 23 2008 16:26:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah....the piano has been in the bedroom *but* it's digital, not made of wood like upright pianos. The books I'm going to store in plastic *air tight* containers or bags until I need them. I will look for Vikane but have been using RAID for now on what can, in between treatments. The furniture, I'm not heartbroken about losing, it's not worth keeping. The PCO said I shouldn't worry about dishes in the kitchen, but I have found a couple of stray bugs on the floor in the kitchen (near adult size). And yes, every load of laundry I do, I use a new bag, take clothes immediately out of the dryer and don't even let them touch the dryer, goes right into the bag.

11. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri May 23 2008 17:33:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Raid won't do anything but spread the bugs and/or dig them deeper into crevices. The piano not being wood, doesn't matter. Bed bugs will infest plastic it it's close to the feeding source. If you had found 50+ bugs, in multiple rooms, my non-expert experience would be that your infestation is not light. Because there have been treatments, there is also the possibility you are seeing more activity. Be very careful when moving. take every precaution you can. read the faq's on how people have done so. As for books, either find a way through the faq's to heat treat them if possible or definitely vikane. Just a few eggs the size of a spec of dust in a binding or between pages will start your infestation in the new place. Just trying to save you more $$ down the road and not re-infest yourself.
    Better to more thorough, and do it right the first time. Sometimes, that doesn't work even though you think you did it right. Look at the faq's and look into vikane. You want to ensure yourself you don't bring a bug, egg with you on your move. Best

12. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat May 24 2008 1:53:56
    #

Login to Send PM

> Someone suggested bug bombs to me,

Gypsy - Just to be clear, I think this is the phrase that sets off alarm bells for many of us. I believe it states pretty clearly in the FAQs (fortunately, I haven't needed to read them for a while :o) and all over the forums that you should NOT use bug bombs. They're not usually effective at ridding your bedbugs, but they're unusually effective at giving the bugs to your neighbors, among other issues.

13. Gypsy

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun May 25 2008 14:53:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hence why I asked about them...I haven't used bug bombs and don't plan on it. The first treatment in my apartment, the exterminator used Vikane. He's coming on Monday again for a second treatment and then I have about five days to decide to pack everything up or leave it all behind. The problem with taking things into storage (Even sealed) is, what if I infest all the other units?

14. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun May 25 2008 16:05:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Gypsy, I would double check on what your PCO used. Vikane cannot be done in apartments individually as far as I know, unless the whole apartment building was treated. Look up vikane and how it is performed. If the PCO in fact told you he did vikane on your apartment only...I would think he may be a big fat lier. I would DEFINATELY ask it in writing. In most places, they are required to leave you documents on what they used regardless I believe. I think it's law in most cities/states. Vikane is a one time shot. No repeated svcs needed. BE SURE TO Go to Dow's website and look it up.

15. Gypsy

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon May 26 2008 1:49:01
    #

Login to Send PM

So I've decided to get rid of major things - furniture. I'm keeping my computer and piano (having it treated tomorrow), but tossing the tv/vcr/dvd player (very old anyway). I have to keep my power box and modem because they are rentals from ISP. My books are being placed in storage at a friends acerage in one of their sheds (yes, completely sealed). I'm taking very few clothes with me, buying a new bed, couch and bedding after I move. Dishes have been heat treated (hot boiling water for about 30 minutes), then washed completely with soap and hot water and packed in Rubbermaid plastic containers for the move. Things like knick knacks, artwork, photos, are being stored as well. Winter clothes are being discarded. My dvd's have been inspected, many still in original packaging and cd's I don't use, will be placed in storage along with my $1000 worth of music books (sigh).

But - my boyfriend left his utility kilt here and we both have leather boots that are way too expensive to throw out. So we're trying to figure out the best way to clean both. I've slowly started buying new clothing and leaving them bagged at my boyfriends too (including two new pairs of shoes).

Less than a week to go, wish me luck. May be sitting on the floor for awhile at the new place as finding the right furniture seems to be a tricky task - I have expensive taste.

16. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue May 27 2008 2:59:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Gypsy - sounds like you've done a lot of research and have a great plan of action. I think your chances of success are high (unfortunately, luck seems to play a huge part in the bedbug roulette).

As for utility kit and leather boots - can you bake them in the oven? Three hours at low temps, 150 F is recommended and would not hopefully damage things. If your oven cannot go that low (mine couldn't), you could try 200 F with a pan of water in the oven to help preserve your boots, for maybe a half hour. And then coat them like crazy with mink oil, etc., after you move.

17. Gypsy

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue May 27 2008 15:15:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure about cooking leather. The utliity is quite thick, but I don't want the material to get ruined. (don't ask why we have the outfits). I also have a bunch of corsets that I'm just going to have to store for now because they can't be dry cleaned. Think pvc would melt in the oven heh. I also found out that Vikane is not available in Alberta, perhaps not throughout Canada. My PCO did not recommend using treatments found on the Internet. So the PCO has agreed to treat my condo if I see any bugs. So I will be checking for the next few days, and for the first two weeks after I move. The first sign of one bug, I'm calling the tech. And the rental agency has agreed to cover costs...so here's hoping! At least I've been able to keep my sense of humour through all this...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,330 posts in 50,174 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14