Moving with (maybe?) bed bugs

(6 posts)
  1. WakingBad

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Jul 8 2017 12:29:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi gang. As most people on this board are, I'm freaking out. I would absolutely love any advice you have.

My husband and I are moving out of our current hellhole apartment into a nice place. Long story short: litigation against the landlord for 3 years, bed bugs all throughout the building, he refused to hire a reputable company to treat and refused to treat adjacent units, among other horrifying conditions. We've had 8 treatments done by less-than-ideal companies hired by the landlord. After the last one, in May of 2015, our lawyer told us to stop accepting treatments because without treating adjacent units, it wouldn't do anything. We have found bed bugs since then, but almost entirely in the bathroom. It's my understanding that the fact that they were in the bathroom (which is not near our bedroom), they are likely stragglers coming in from other units in the building.

So now we're moving. Just got an inspection done with a dog from M&M (we live in Brooklyn). They said they found "evidence" in person, but on the form that was sent to us after, it said they found live bugs. However, they attached many many pictures, and all the pictures showed were either dead bed bugs or fecal matter. The fact that this was found is completely no surprise. Neither my husband or I are reactive to the bites, so the infestation was bad by the time we identified it. We did not replace any of our furniture (why would we, when we know they're in adjacent units that aren't being treated?), so of course there are still dead bugs and fecal matter stains throughout the unit, on beds and couches. I know M&M is reputable, but after this long, with no pictures of live bugs, I can't help but wonder if they're trying to get us to pay for treatment based on signs of an infestation that have been static for nearly 3 years.

We're not bringing our bed frames, mattresses, or most of our furniture to our new place. Our intention was to bring our two couches, desks, some storage furniture, and then just our belongings. Since it's been so long since we've seen any signs of bed bugs (blood spots on sheets, new fecal stains, etc.), I hesitate to spend so much money on Vikane treatment -- the one company I've found seems VERY expensive.

I don't know exactly what I'm asking here, so I'm sorry. We're moving at the end of the month and I don't know what to do to make sure we don't take our problem with us, while at the same time not spending thousands of dollars that we don't have on treatment that we don't need. Any advice would be very, very welcome.

2. WakingBad

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Jul 8 2017 15:10:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, I should also note. We have traveled a lot over the past 2 years to my husband's mom's place and she has not had any bugs. And every time we travel, friends stay with our dog, and they have never had any problems. So as much as I want to be cautious, I'm also aware that we haven't had any problems for so long, that spending thousands of dollars could maybe be unnecessary.

3. bedbugsbugme

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Jul 8 2017 17:57:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Why not spend the money you were going to spend on vikane, on new couches/ furnature? It's just not worth bringing your old ones as the bugs are too good of hiders.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  4. WakingBad

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jul 9 2017 12:47:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I mean, one of the things we've considered doing is buying new couches, but getting new desks/storage furniture seems useless, since our time around said items is so sparing that I can't imagine any bugs would be in them. (And we're not bringing our bed frames or mattresses.)

I suppose the broader question is, would new couches give us any more peace of mind than bringing the ones that we have, considering how long it's been since we've found live ones? And since we're bringing all our clothes, belongings, paintings, et al, would spending the money on new couches actually be worth it? I think why I'm freaking out generally is because Vikane gas seems like the only way to have real peace of mind, but I'm unconvinced that we actually need to spend the money. Better safe than sorry is a good policy when it comes to bed bugs, but it's just so expensive (at least the places I've found) that I don't even know how we could afford it.

Sorry to ramble. As an aside: are mattress encasements really necessary for our new mattresses, considering the precautions we are taking? Always struck me that mattress encasements don't really do that much to protect a mattress, but rather are useful for starving the bugs trapped inside, should they be put on later. Am I wrong in my understanding about that?

5. bedbugsbugme

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jul 9 2017 13:29:52
    #

Login to Send PM

You could always treat the desks and stuff with nuvan/ hotshot strips. But I just wouldn't risk the couch. All it takes is one missed pregnant female to start a new infestation.

6. WakingBad

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jul 11 2017 11:22:00
    #

Login to Send PM

In other news, does anyone know moving companies that will treat for bugs during the process of moving? The only one I can find in NYC seems to be very expensive.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,816 posts in 49,812 topics over 154 months by 21,801 of 22,267 members. Latest: Purplebrain, MrBedbug, Pioneer47