Moving with BAT bugs

(5 posts)
  1. batbugs01

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 2 2019 14:29:10
    #

Login to Send PM

So for those of you who haven’t followed along with my tale, I had bat bugs coming into my bedrooms through the floorboards, into my bathtub, and occasionally downstairs. I am happy to say that we are officially 3 months bat bug free (after over a year of dealing with them). It’s to the point where I don’t give them much energy any more (reached that point after about 2 months of not seeing anything.) This is through the summer months where they were at their worst last year, so it’s a big win. Recently, I have been giving them more thought because I am moving. I know that they can hibernate for months at a time, and now I’m worried about bringing over any stragglers. I am drying things like my blankets, sheets, and soft items kept under the bed on high heat but I’m wondering if there are any ways I can be more careful? Most of the advice on here is for moving with active bedbugs, but I’m more worried about bringing over any stray bat bugs.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Sep 3 2019 0:19:36
    #

Login to Send PM

As long as you don't also bring the bats i wouldn't be concerned.

3. Louise

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Sep 13 2019 15:01:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I haven't moved with bat bugs, but we did have bat bugs at our cottage about ten years ago. (You can search my name for the details on that.)

Even though we were constantly bringing stuff from home to the cottage and back again (albeit much of that stuff in plastic bins and boxes that first summer), we never (as far as we know) transferred anything. (That said, it appears from what I've been reading on more recent posts that bat bugs require bat blood in order to reproduce, so perhaps we did and just weren't ever aware of it. )

4. Louise

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Sep 13 2019 15:01:30
    #

Login to Send PM

All that to say I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the possibility of moving the bat bugs with you. I spent a lot of time and a huge amount of anxiety over something that apparently wasn't a huge issue after all.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Sep 13 2019 18:07:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Unless you actually moving the house there is no risk.

Bat bugs unlike bedbugs return to the primary host after reluctantly ingressing into a home to feed.

Therefore you can actually take the bats with you if your careful and inspect them, just avoid the area between their roost and their entrance because that’s where the bat bugs live.

Apply logic not stress and you will find the answers are a lot simpler than you can make they appear.

I might have to do an FAQ for http://www.batbugs.com

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82