(12 posts)
  1. LeavingBBBehind

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Dec 11 2010 9:45:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi All,

Starting about 2 weeks ago, we noticed a couple of bites on us. Figured it was spiders. The bites got a bit worse, and I became concerned, but we finally saw an adult bug on top of our sheets a few days ago. We are moving - we were going to be moving anyway - and I want to be sure we aren't followed. To treat our problem we vacuumed the bed and couch (and we only saw 2-3 adult bugs, no other evidence). We have encased our mattress and box spring and made the bed an island. I myself have been sleeping quite well since.

When we move we will be ditching the couch and the bed altogether. We will be buying new stuff for delivery straight to the new apartment. We will be washing and drying all of our clothes and other fabric things before bringing them to the new space. We will also be washing all of our kitchenware before it goes in the new apartment.

I am wondering how diligent we should be with our other items (books, computers, nintendo, television) and what we could do to allay any concerns we have about potentially bringing these with).

As I mentioned at the top, we only found 2-3 bugs so I am not sure how serious our problem was to start with.

Any help from someone who has been through something similar would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. scaredsilly

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Dec 11 2010 17:33:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I successfully moved someone out of my home and they are BB free for 3 mos. Everything that moved went into a Packtight for a minimum of 4 hours and was immediately bagged in Ziplocs and put into a new plastic tub in the garage. This included, books, hairbrushes, shoes, clothes, etc. All new furniture, bedding, and toiletries were purchesed. Very expensive but well worth it. I wouldn't take anything that couldn't go into a packtight or hot dryer first.

3. bushbugg

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Dec 12 2010 3:22:26
    #

Login to Send PM

What kind of building are you moving from and to?
    If you are moving to an apartment building, there could be a problem there that you will find later.

You might ask for a pre-spray of your new place, (significantly cheaper than a treatment) before you move in. If you found them in your old place, I would be on alert at the new one. When you remove the bed and couch, bag them before you toss them. Mark them with spray paint. Wear a known outfit and toss that outfit in the dryer immediately after disposing of the bedding for an hour.

Thats a few sggestions. Also, read the FAQ.

Good Luck!

4. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Dec 12 2010 5:54:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Bear in mind that an important issue is whether you bring any eggs with you. If you've been seeing adults in your current space, even if only 2 or 3, they're likely to have been mating and laying, especially if they've succeeded in feeding since becoming adults. The eggs are practically invisible and also are generally not removable by vacuuming from what I read/hear. (I don't claim expertise myself.) But a PackTite treatment is engineered to do them in, for items you can't wash and dry such as papers.

As for electronics, see...

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/how-to-decontaminate-electronics-in-general

...and I'm still unclear, myself, after reading that thread, as to whether the experts' consensus is you should or shouldn't PackTite electronics, or at least some categories of electronics. Is it okay to PackTite them as long as you *turn them off first* which of course you would naturally do. The experts seem to agree it's highly uncommon to find bugs in electronics, but nevertheless they would be easy to PackTite so why not, if it won't damage them to do so. So I'll write a query on that thread.

See also...

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/who-here-has-had-success-treating-electronics

...in particular bugnut's report.

Would it be worthwhile for a few people to PackTite their obsolete electronics, whether or not they really think there are any bugs in them, just as a test for whether they still function okay afterwards. Note: remove batteries of course.

5. LeavingBBBehind

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Dec 12 2010 10:10:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there,

Thanks for all the replies. Timing is a bit of an issue, so I could probably obtain a packtite if I ordered today. However, we are moving our things into storage due to our time constraints. We are washing and drying everything we can before we move it there.

I am not thinking based on some other posts that for things that can't be dried (shoes, books, electronics) we will store them in a garbage back with some no-pest (or ddvp) strips in the storage area for the next 3 weeks or so. I have read of the dangers, but I don't think anyone would be at risk at this storage locker, especially if we keep them in airtight garbage bags. We would open them outside and try and limit anyone's exposure.

Does anybody think this would be an effective solution? Keep in mind that we're not too sure how far this infestation has gone, as we haven't seen a bug since the initial clean earlier this week.

Thanks.

6. LeavingBBBehind

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Dec 12 2010 10:11:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, in addition we are moving from an older house to new apartment building.

7. leslie55

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Dec 12 2010 10:51:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Are you certain the bugs you found were BBs? If you had a couple of adults that fed on you - I'd imagine you'd find some evidence - like castings and fecal stains. Check your bed closely. I'd be really worried about you bringing them to your new place. And I'd be really worried about spreading them to the storage container as well. Seriously, I would not want to use your storage site afterward nor be your neighbor if you didn't follow the directions others have offered.

8. brookiered007

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Dec 12 2010 15:02:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I successfully moved out of a bed bug problem without bringing them with me.
    Have you not had anything professionally sprayed?
    I would definitely have a professional come in and spray everything before you leave. As far as your stuff, you cannot and I repeat CANNOT be too careful. There is no such thing.
    I got rid of my mattress and bed and all bedroom furniture. The living room furniture was also thrown out. I put almost everything I own into plastic storage bins and they are now being stored in a storage facility down the road. I only brought with me the things I absolutely NEED. You will need to learn to live very simply.
    Also, I took all my clothes to the laundromat and washed and dried them on HIGH. (their dryers are hotter there) Some of my clothes shrank as a result, but I don't even care now. At least I don't have bugs.
    My nicer work clothes I got dry cleaned.
    It takes a lot of money to be thorough (dry cleaning, laundromat, paid storage facility, buying new furniture)....but it is much better than being sorry and bringing the hellacious things with you.

9. GotEmHA

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Dec 12 2010 15:44:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel for you! This is a really tough situation.... I would be really concerned about bringing them with you. Have you considered having a thermal treatment done on your moving truck? This was really effective for me -- I was able to keep almost all of my belongings, including a previously infested bedframe and dresser, and I didn't have to buy a packtite or wash all of my clothing before the move. A canine inspection of the new apartment after move-in confirmed that the treatment had worked and I brought no live bugs or viable eggs into the new place. Huge relief.

10. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Dec 12 2010 16:03:52
    #

Login to Send PM

GotEmHA - 14 minutes ago  » 
    Have you considered having a thermal treatment done on your moving truck? This was really effective for me -- I was able to keep almost all of my belongings, including a previously infested bedframe and dresser, and I didn't have to buy a packtite or wash all of my clothing before the move. A canine inspection of the new apartment after move-in confirmed that the treatment had worked and I brought no live bugs or viable eggs into the new place. Huge relief.

Say GotEmHA, could you elaborate on that? What was the cost and how was the thermal treatment administered, etc..

If it can be done for a moving truck then why not for ordinary cars too? (Or, does the thermal only heat the contents of the truck's carrying area, not the entire truck including the driver's area including under the seats, under the floor, etc.; so wouldn't really do any good for cars.)

It's good news if this technology is already in place that everyone can be aware of, and maybe will start to become widely available as entrepreneurs sniff the $$.

Are there any threads on this already, or a FAQ? Or company advertisements that I missed?

11. GotEmHA

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Dec 12 2010 19:49:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Sure thing! I was really happy with this treatment and would love to spread the word. The background..... In my situation, I had to move due to non-bb-related factors, so I did a lot of research on the best way to avoid bringing them with me. My bed and dresser were infested. I had already had two chemical treatments and a canine inspection revealed that the infestation was still present after these treatments (and had spread from the bed to the dresser!). Since there is an apparently reputable provider of thermal treatment in Massachusetts, I decided to go with thermal. The basis for this treatment is the application of heat for sufficient time periods to kill all live bugs and viable eggs. I decided to have a thermal treatment with Pure Heat LLC in Yarmouth, MA. While I am definitely not an expert on thermal treatment, my understanding is that it is more effective on moving trucks than on residences since the items being treated are in a smaller and more isolated area that's much easier to heat treat than, say, a whole house or apartment. Pure Heat will treat a residence or a truck, and since I was moving anyway, I went with the truck option.

The cost of the treatment was $1250 for a 26-foot U-Haul truck filled with the contents of a one-bedroom apartment (4 rooms). Pure Heat reported that in some towns, there is an additional cost associated with having a fire detail monitoring the truck while it is parked in a residential neighborhood. I got around these requirements by having the treatment done in an industrial park where my dad works. Another option would have been to drive the truck to Yarmouth and have the treatment done at Pure Heat's facility for a lesser cost, but the extra U-Haul miles would have eaten those dollars up again.

To prepare for treatment, I didn't have to wash or packtite anything. All I had to do was (1) pack my boxes somewhat loosely, and (2) discard items such as toiletries and candles that wouldn't survive the high temperatures. I was also not supposed to subject my electronics to the heat treatment, but I took a chance on those -- thinking I'd rather replace a TV than bring a bedbug with me -- and they were all fine after the treatment, with the exception of an elderly computer mouse.

The treatment took about 6 hours on an unusually warm day around November 1st. It was supposed to take a bit longer, but the warm weather shortened the time necessary to get the truck up to temperature. Two technicians blasted heat into my U-Haul using propane fired heaters (back of truck only, not the cab), and they monitored the temperature to make sure that the truck stayed heated past the "kill point" for several hours.

A week after moving my baked belongings into my new apartment, I had Mike Tache of American K9 come by with his dog Badger to check it out. He gave me the all-clear! After 8 months of battling the little suckers, I was so happy I cried. I'm still nervous about sitting down on the subway, and I no longer get excited about traveling, but I'm finally starting to move past the bb ordeal and hoping that others will be able to find effective treatments and do the same. Good Luck Everyone!!

12. LeavingBBBehind

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Dec 14 2010 7:18:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi again all,
    As I said, we are being pretty careful about how we go about this. We are replacing the furniture and washing/drying at high heat all the clothes and linens (dry-cleaning for some). All the kitchen items will be washed in hot. The other items (shoes, drawers, books) will be wrapped tightly in a garbage bag with pesticide strips. Does anybody think this will be an effective solution?

I had called a PCO, but they didn't seem to think a spraying was needed based on my situation.

Thanks.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,797 posts in 49,805 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991