Moving to another Apt unit.

(13 posts)
  1. DivineLotus

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 6 2012 19:30:30
    #

Login to Send PM

So I have bed bugs and we are going to move within a weeks time. What can I do to prevent infestation in my new apt? (The apt has been treated by a professional. I don't want to ever encounter this again.)

*My couches have DE. The perimiter of the apt also.
    *The mattress and box springs are encased and sealed with tape. Made sure that sucker is air tight. They are also sprayed with pesticide.
    *My concern is the furniture. So far the infestation has been in the bedroom. I powdered the couches with DE. I worry about the dinner table (wood) and chairs (wood and leather). I checked and no bugs. I also have an island. Also a wooden thin table we use as a tv stand.
    *CD's, Video Games, Books, picture frames, LED TV, PS3, Cable box, modem, blueray player, stereo tuner and speakers. ALL are in the livingroom and kitchen side. How can I treat these?
    *Clothing (I will was and dry in HOT.)
    * I have shoes (I guess I can dry the shoes) and some stuffed animals that have electrical wiring all over. I can't remove the wiring. I don't think I can stick wiring in a dryer. Do I steam?

Any suggestions? If I need to buy a steamer to steam the couches I will.

2. DivineLotus

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 6 2012 23:06:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, can I buy a huge mattress cover and cover my couches with it and set off a fogger for bed bugs in their? The bag will be closed air tight as possible.

3. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 6 2012 23:28:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Please read the FAQs. http://bedbugger.com/faqs/

Foggers are not a good idea and there's no reason to think they will clear your belongings. I have tagged this post with a tag ("moving faq" There is a fairly detailed explanation of how I moved out of an infestation successfully. To do it myself, it took 6 weeks of preparation and packing. I tossed many of my belongings--especially furniture--because I didn't have way to treat them.

To move within a week and keep so much, you need to look into the possibility of moving your stuff and having it vikaned en route. Some pest companies also offer treatment of things in a Bed Bug Inferno, where everything is heated to a temp high enough to kill any bugs. Neither of these will be cheap, but they will be chaper than replacing everything you own.

To get this right and not infest you're new place, you can't cut corners and I'm sorry to say, this is a time when you have to go with the method that has the greatest chance of success regardless of cost.

4. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 6 2012 23:31:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Additionally, under no circumstances would I trust encasements to prevent an infestation from an infested matress in a new space, especially with the stress of being moved around. These are not strong fabrics that would hold up to that kind of wear and tear.

5. DivineLotus

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 6 2012 23:47:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not leaving the building. We are just going to the other side of the building. So transport is a lift and cross the building. No stairs or elevators.

About the fogger, its pretty much a couch inside a huge ziplock bag, throw the fogger inside then ziplock the bag air tight. It will for bed bugs. That still won't work. If not, should I get a steamer?

I. Understand the time issue. If I have to stay up all night preping, I will. With the time being your saying vikaned is the only option for the furniture?

6. DivineLotus

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 7 2012 0:32:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Also I'm not sure if the person who fumigated (professional from the building) used Vikan. This was done this past Monday. It was so strong I couldn't even stand outside the door. It was really strong poison. The spray, he put all over the walls and underneath the couches also. That's what he put all over the beds.

7. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 7 2012 9:52:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Again, please read the FAQs.

Vikane is a gas that treats the entire building and requires tenting the entire building. It isn't a spray.

Steam would work but you need to steam every inch and it's needs to be with a high quality steamer to be effective. It takes time, because you have to do it inch by inch, inside and outside. Some items can't be steamed effectively because they're too thickly padded/densely constructed. I don't know how much you have and you'll have time to do it.

How do you know that this part of the building isn't infested as well?

I suggest vikaning or heat because they can be done quickly, in one shot, to many items, including the stuff you want to save. However, if you're just moving inside the building, you could be moving into another area that also is infested, so it might not be worth investing that money. Have you discussed this move (with an active infestation) with your landlord?

You can't just move away from bed bugs by packing up your stuff and moving to another unit. You are truly counting on luck if you do that.. Until you've had a couple treatments and spent a couple of months with no bugs being found, you really can't be certain that your items are clear enough to move. There's a really good chance that you'll just transfer the bed bugs to another part of the building, but there is also a chance that the bugs will also in that part of the building too.

8. DivineLotus

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 7 2012 15:47:48
    #

Login to Send PM

He gave us the ok to move with no problem. We are not spending a dime on anything. Only the self treating and I will get new encasments from the ad's here for the next apt. They pay for the treatments. He said that there's No bugs on the other side. We also have a 13 month lease. The building is 300 units so I'm pretty sure the other apt is safe. Some ppl have been living here for 7yrs and never once had a bed bug infestation. We only been here 1.5 week and this happens. The ones we found were adult bugs and 3 small ones. Also the only reason we go it was bc of a stupid neighbor picking up trash and putting it in her room. She let the problem escalate without saying anything. So the adult BB traveled to our apt. Pretty sure of this. My right neighbor has none. So which means something is working. So far the infected area is the bedroom. I have not seen anything in the livingroom. In total we found 7 BB 4 of which dead.

The couches are not even 2 weeks old. The same goes with my dining table. The padding is pretty thick so steaming would be hard for it to penetrate. Also I can remove the padding but idk if it will ruin it. As far as time and patience to have it. I had a total of 15 bags of clothes I treated in heat in 1 day. 40min each load.

9. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 7 2012 18:00:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I am simply pointing out that moving as quick as you would like poses a lot of challenges and room for error. To move so much furniture can potentially be problematic. I'm unsure, if the problem is localized to the neighbor that it's wise to move before any treatment could be effective. The problem next door must be fairly extensive, if you are seeing so many in your unit so quickly. I can't help but wonder if the person who moved out, didn't have a problem of their own starting.

If you take any with you, you'll still have the problem. I can't tell you how much you would need to do to be prevent carrying an infestation with you because I don't personally have the specifics of your situation. The best solution is something like vikaning or heat. Anything else, done so quickly, may fail or transfer something with you.

10. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 7 2012 22:04:28
    #

Login to Send PM

It's unlikely that the neighbor had a big problem that manifested itself "just" as you moved in. You rented with an implied "warranty of habitability" (in NYC, the landlord is required, by law, to disclose the building's recent bed bug history, by the way). Now you need to change how you live, be it take time for prep and treatment, sleep on a wrapped mattress and box spring (and always guard against it tearing), etc. There's a price tag on each of the items I mentioned and more.

Your landlord's obligations should not be discharged just because he gave you a replacement unit. Besides, it's funny how he has a "CSI" explanation for why your unit has BB now and didn't before and can assure you that the next unit is clean. Take a moment to check your address against bedbugregistry.com (but please do not post your story there, yet, regardless of how tempting it is). People on this forum have been assured all sorts of things by their landlord, only to find a long rap-sheet on their buildings, even their units, on the registry.

As others here have noted, there are risks in moving things from an infested unit, even if they were only there "for a few days". Almost everything can be treated one way or another. Vikane is best. Heated trailers are just coming on the market, but can damage your things' long-term viability. Experts advise us that foggers are not a solution to bed bugs. Our "Stuff" FAQ can help guide you. http://bedbugger.com/faqs/stuff/

This story reminds me of a review on a B&B I saw. The writer complained of BB in her room, so the inn gave her a new room. Next morning at breakfast, she meets another guest who complained of BB in her room. Turns out that after guest #1 had left the BB-infested room, the inn had given it to guest #2.

Again, move if your current situation is really bad and is not expected to improve in the next few weeks, but recognize that your landlord's obligations to you should not be "discharged" when you move to your new unit. (No "Whaddaya mean you have bed bugs? We gave you a new apartment!".) Depending on how much things you have at stake here, you may want to speak with a tenant advocacy group like the Metropolitan Council on Housing (metcouncil.net) in NYC or a lawyer. If your LL tells you that insurance will cover your losses, recognize that in in most US states, homeowner insurance will not cover insects and even if it will, you will pay a higher rate on renewal for a long time to come due to your claim history.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  11. DivineLotus

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 8 2012 13:21:32
    #

Login to Send PM

So far no bites in the past few nights.

I asked him specificaly before we signed the lease if he had bed bugs and he said no. Its up to him, law or not to be humane and say yes or no. Regardless of a 'law,' people lie. So I take it like a grain of salt.

Before I leave I will dry all my clothes and wipe with alcho all the things I can. As for the bed I will buy good quality encasments 'protect a bed'. That's cheaper than a $2000 cal king bed.

If I can talk him in to use V, I will. I still need to figure out how much it will cost to V an apt. If he decides not to bc of the company he uses or if they even provide that service. BUT he will still use his company. I highly doubt he will leave us to rot if we would get BB in the new apt. Its his apt building and I understand some LL don't care. We will get another treatment before we leave. That way I know its clean. I'm also thinking of getting a steamer too. If we have the funds. We will self treat and use DE and bed bug powder. Same thing I think.

I know that renters insurance dosent cover bugs. I check it before we moved in.

12. Eve

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 8 2012 15:12:53
    #

Login to Send PM

If you're using V as an abbreviation for Vikane, it's technically impossible to do that to an apartment, regardless of cost.

Eve

13. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 8 2012 16:27:08
    #

Login to Send PM

You can't Vikane an apartment, but you can Vikane its contents in a truck, trailer, pod or fumigation chamber. That said, if you are moving in the same complex (ie, the same landlord) and he's taking responsibility for eradicating any problem that might crop up in apartment #2, then a more conservative approach (move, treat apartment #2 in case of problems...if the PCO is one that can save everything, like your couch) may be adequate.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,432 posts in 50,192 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams