Moving tips

(8 posts)
  1. cc2183

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2014 8:46:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Everyone - I want to just say I THINK i have a bed bug issue but I have not found any hard "proof" of them. So this is just a worst case senerio type of thing that I needed advice on. I am moving at the end of the month and want to make sure I do not take any bed bugs, if I do have them, with me. I have been reading online and i'm freaking out a little as I started to pack my clothes into a cardboard box. They are all clean washed clothes, but everywhere online says to put clothes in plastic bag, and that cardboard should NOT be used. Should I take everything out of this box and put into bags? Do I need to rewash it all? Can I use cardboard at all, even if I store it in the next room? I am not taking my mattress/box spring or most of the bedroom furniture so I am not worried about that, just about the clothes and cardboard box use. Please let me know your opinions!

2. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2014 9:45:45
    #

Login to Send PM

If you want to be POSITIVE have your items fumigated during move and have location and truck checked by canine. Follow packing instructions from fumigator.

3. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2014 12:54:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi cc2183,

As Sir Winston stated above, if you want to be sure, Vikane fumigation is the way to go. However, that might be quite an expense for an unconfirmed case of bed bugs.

If you use cardboard boxes for moving and IF you have bed bugs I would think you would have to worry about bed bugs (1) infesting the boxes while sitting in an infested apartment waiting to be moved or (2) perhaps during the moving process itself if you are either renting a truck or hiring a moving company. However, if you do use cardboard boxes, you can shrink wrap the boxes until you can unpack them if you want to make sure no bed bugs can get in the boxes.

cc2183 - 3 hours ago  » 
    I started to pack my clothes into a cardboard box. They are all clean washed clothes, but everywhere online says to put clothes in plastic bag, and that cardboard should NOT be used. Should I take everything out of this box and put into bags? Do I need to rewash it all?

If you decide to remove your clothes from the cardboard boxes and put in plastic bags, you absolutely do not have to rewash your clothes. If you feel that there might be bed bugs in them, you can simply run clean clothes through the dryer.

Here are a couple of prior threads regarding how to move without bringing bed bug; hopefully they will have some useful information for you:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/how-to-move-without-bringing-the-bugs-along

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/moving-without-bringing-bed-bugs-to-your-new-place

cc2183 - 3 hours ago  » 
    Please let me know your opinions!

This was my non-expert opinion!

Good Luck in your move!!

4. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2014 13:58:53
    #

Login to Send PM

While all Vikane is sulfuryl fluoride not all sulfuryl fluoride is Vikane whose registration for bed bugs may vary by state. Boxes are required for fumigation as plastic bags create a barrier. So decide how you are going to proceed before you pack. Since you are treating based on fear and prevention you might as well go all the way. True this may be expensive overkill but what price piece of mind not to mention killing any other hitchhikers as well.

( Of course there are always the blow dryers as mentioned on the current blog home page)

5. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2014 14:15:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Winston O. Buggy - 15 minutes ago  » 
    While all Vikane is sulfuryl fluoride not all sulfuryl fluoride is Vikane whose registration for bed bugs may vary by state. Boxes are required for fumigation as plastic bags create a barrier. So decide how you are going to proceed before you pack.

Thanks Winston O. Buggy!

(I knew I shouldn't have used "Vikane" . . . but I was too lazy to look up how to spell sulfuryl fluoride!)

6. cc2183

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 18 2014 9:22:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you both! Last night I found the pesky little bugs, so i'm 100% sure it is bed bugs, ill post a link to my flickr below with the bug pictures and my bites. I am really paranoid now about moving and my boyfriend doesn't understand the severity of this. He still thinks bed bugs are only found in a bed and not on furniture, ect. He also isn't getting bit / having a reaction where as you can see in the pictures my bite reactions are really bad, so he just doesn't get it. I am super overwhelmed with this and honestly really worried that we won't get rid of them all.

We do not have the money to pay for a professional to do this so really it is up to me to make sure this is taken care of. We will be storing almost all of our stuff for about a month in a storage unit, so I am wondering if that will help kill the bugs if I don't get them all with the heat? I am going to throw all the clothes in the dryer and pack into sealed bags before putting into boxes. All the boxes I am using are brand new so I am hoping that will help not spread these bugs.

How far will bed bugs crawl away from the bed / areas I find them? We are currently using an empty room in the house we are in to put all our packed items so I want to make sure they don't get into that room and now I'm worried they already are! How can i make sure it is a "secure space"? I had a big teddy bear we had on the bed before I found the bugs, is it possible they are in the teddy bear?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just really freaked out and over whelmed. I do not have any friends or family that have dealt with this so not much local support.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125915176@N05/sets/72157645184803508/

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 19 2014 1:46:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Winston-- curious if you've ever heard of someone being told to drill holes all over the empty cardboard boxes before packing as shown in the video in this post:

http://bedbugger.com/2014/05/04/how-to-live-with-bed-bugs-film-from-johns-movies/

More holes than it would take to fill the Albert Hall...

I assumed it was for Vikane but don't recall hearing such instructions before.

Thanks!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 19 2014 1:50:16
    #

Login to Send PM

cc2183 said,

We do not have the money to pay for a professional to do this so really it is up to me to make sure this is taken care of. We will be storing almost all of our stuff for about a month in a storage unit, so I am wondering if that will help kill the bugs if I don't get them all with the heat? I am going to throw all the clothes in the dryer and pack into sealed bags before putting into boxes. All the boxes I am using are brand new so I am hoping that will help not spread these bugs.

Hi!

Storage won't kill bed bugs and may spread them if the containers aren't sealed in an airtight manner. If they are sealed and have live bed bugs or eggs inside, then you may get them when the box comes home in a month.

However, sealing TREATED items (like clean clothing dried on hot for 1/2 hour and sealed in airtight bags) should be fine. Note cardboard boxes kept in the infested home may transmit bed bugs, which love to hide in tight spaces (e.g. corrugated). So sealed bags inside corrugated boxes may not be the full solution.

Heat is an excellent method of treating items.

Sealing non-treated items and then bringing them home a month later would be risky.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,409 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams