(3 posts)
  1. Jordan21

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 23 2017 18:33:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone,

As some of you may or may not remember, I had an infestation from my job almost a year ago now. It was easily one of the worst parts of my life, and I don't go many days without recalling it. My place was successfully treated after many attempts, and I ended up moving out of that apartment in May of this year. Now, I will be moving to Queens, New York in about a week. I am terrified of going through all of that again. I know NY has a higher BB risk, and I know that the apartment I will be moving into will be furnished (It is a two-bedroom, and one guy already lives there). There is a part of me that wants to bring my own bed to avoid any bugs that may be in the bed in my room. The rest of me, however, is aware that it would be much easier to just leave all of the preset furniture there, should an infestation occur, and get the heck out.

I will not be working in the same field as I was previously, so I understand that my main risk of getting BBs will be from public transportation. I suppose my main questions to you all is the following:

What can I do to avoid infestations as much as possible?
    What should I do if I get there and notice any bugs? Can I get my deposit back and leave?
    Do you have any general tips that may help in this situation?

Part of me is just incredibly paranoid, like what if they are in the couch and not the bed, etc. I assume it is more likely that the place is well-kept and everything will be okay, but I figured it would not hurt to ask. I appreciate all of your help.

2. janmichele

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Aug 24 2017 9:43:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert, but here are some things that I might do in your situation:

--Using a turkey baster and a paint brush, I have blown DE in all the cracks around my baseboards in my bedroom. I just suck up the DE in the baster, put in the cracks, and then gentle spread out remaining DE on the baseboards with a small paintbrush until it's almost no longer visible. I literally made this up, but it makes me feel better. I also "painted" my bedframe with a very light coating DE.

-Put your new mattress in an encasement as soon as you get there.

-Ask the landlord straight up if they have dealt with bedbugs in the building in the past year

-Buy the climbup trap things and put on your bedframe

-Inspect the couch when roommate isn't there

I hope this helps. It's going to be ok and I hope you remain BB free.

3. Jordan21

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Sep 2 2017 19:22:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello and thank you for your reply. I appreciate the assistance. I just got moved into my place. I am living in a basement apartment of my landlord's home, so thankfully it's not like a multi-family dwelling.

I am still so dang paranoid and afraid though. Two places within a few blocks of me have them, and I just cannot go through it all again. I want to get the traps and DE like you had recommended, but I just cannot afford it right now. I know my landlord got the bed from someone she knows...which does not help my worry. I did a quick lookover of the mattress and I did not see any indication of them. The box spring is tightly placed into the metal frame, so I cannot really check it out well.

Feeling this way and having to live like this is awful

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,299 posts in 50,164 topics over 155 months by 21,927 of 22,424 members. Latest: Sleepy19, xterra888, MaryPoppinsYall