Moving! Q's about wooden bedframe & treating books

(9 posts)
  1. domino832

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue May 12 2015 14:35:14
    #

Login to Send PM

TLDR; Moving to new apartment, not sure where bedbugs are harboring. Have mattress and box spring covers, have had 2 treatments. Should I take wooden bed frame/desk or toss? Should I have PCO treat again before move (last treatment 1 week ago) or after move to new place? Should I put books in oven? Should I bathe cat?

We have had an infestation for around 6 weeks. Our neighbors below us moved in with a severe infestation that traveled to our apartment and others'. They began in my roommate's room, then traveled to mine, then the living room couches. We have a cat who may be responsible for bringing the hitchhikers from room to room, but it also could have been us. After we saw and ID'ed our first bug (by PCO), we each bought mattress and box spring covers and had a treatment - about 5 weeks ago (maybe 1-2 weeks after we first started getting bites). My bites increased right after that treatment, then gradually disappeared. I went maybe 1 week without bites.

Approximately 2-3 weeks after first treatment, I started getting bit again, and my roommate found fecal stains and bugs along the seams of her mattress encasement. We cleaned it and had a second treatment, 1 week ago. My bites immediately ceased, we continued to vacuum every day and take out bag, as instructed. I started getting bites again last night and my roommate saw a bed bug on the couch this morning.

Luckily (?) this happened after we had already put our 60 days notice in to move out - our lease doesn't end for three weeks but I am able to begin moving my things into the new place this weekend. This will give me lots of time to take things slowly and carefully. My roommate is moving home (her parents are helping pay for heat treatments that I can't afford). I am moving in with two other girls (they are aware of the issue). All of the furniture in my current apartment is mine. The couches are too big for the new place and I was going to sell them, but that is no longer an option. I plan on ripping them up and putting them in the dumpster in the middle of the night for the garbage men to take.

I have been reading forum posts about moving and I still have a few questions/concerns. I have only seen TWO bedbugs in my room, and that was a few hours after the first treatment when the PCO had turned the mattresses on their sides. I have lifted the mattresses out of the bed frame, inspected all seams, and have come up empty. For our second treatment, I had the PCO take off the outlet covers and treat. Unfortunately, we have been unable to be here during treatments as our apartment's PCO only comes while we are at work.

I'm fairly certain the bugs are living somewhere on the bed frame. It is a cheapy wood frame from IKEA. If I were to move it, I would have to disassemble it and could therefore spray every nook and cranny down with rubbing alcohol in an effort to kill any lingerers. Is this worth my time or should I just do away with the frame and buy a cheap metal one? I've read they can nest in wood. I also have a wooden desk from IKEA that is not far from the bed that I have the same concern about.

Honestly, I would rather cut my losses and lose the furniture than bring the bugs with me. Most of it is second-hand and it will not be difficult to replace, eventually. I do have a wooden shelf display thing that is sentimental and I don't want to do away with if I can salvage it, though it is also next to the bed.

I can't afford a Packtite. I have read a few posts about putting books and papers in the oven - is this safe or feasible? Do hair dryers really get hot enough to kill eggs/bugs hiding in a suitcase or shoes? Should I bathe my cat before taking him to the new place?

Finally, I am going to hire Terminix to treat the new place when we move in, just to be on the safe side (the PCO my apartment complex uses is a small company). Should I have them treat my stuff one more time BEFORE I move, or just after I get it moved in? I am going to buy BedBug monitors for the new place to be sure they didn't follow me.

Thank you for reading this lengthy post. Please help me recover my sanity!!

2. domino832

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue May 12 2015 14:57:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Edit: The more I read, the more I feel I shouldn't put books in the oven. It seems that the binding will fall apart. I'm going to purchase Nuvan Strips and hope for the best.

3. bbnewbie123

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue May 12 2015 16:53:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not a pro, but if it were me I would definitely not want to bring any bugs with me if I moved. So I would definitely do all I could to get rid of any possible bugs before the move.

Why are you having Terminix treat your new place? Do you know there are bed bugs there?

4. bbnewbie123

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue May 12 2015 16:54:38
    #

Login to Send PM

They say to not treat without visual evidence of bed bugs.

5. domino832

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue May 12 2015 19:12:58
    #

Login to Send PM

bbnewbie123 - 2 hours ago  » 
    They say to not treat without visual evidence of bed bugs.

Yes, but we have had visual evidence of bed bugs in this apartment. I am moving furniture, clothes, etc. to the new apartment. Would it not be prudent to treat the room when everything is moved in, as a preventative measure, as one might do with roaches?

6. domino832

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue May 12 2015 19:15:33
    #

Login to Send PM

bbnewbie123 - 2 hours ago  » 
    I'm not a pro, but if it were me I would definitely not want to bring any bugs with me if I moved. So I would definitely do all I could to get rid of any possible bugs before the move.
    Why are you having Terminix treat your new place? Do you know there are bed bugs there?

There aren't bed bugs in the new place, but I'm concerned about bringing them. I've read a lot of posts on these forums about people washing/drying EVERYTHING they own yet still somehow bringing them over. That is my concern...I don't have a lot of knowledge about the kinds of chemicals used so I suppose my question should be: IS there a preventative treatment by a PCO for this sort of issue? Or do I just have to wait and see if they come with? I bought bed bug monitors to install in the new apartment so I could keep an eye out.

7. paranoidaboutbugs

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 13 2015 4:25:00
    #

Login to Send PM

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/how-to-move-without-bringing-the-bugs-along
    ^this post might help

Normally one would say that abandoning your furniture is a bad idea as someone else could take it off the street and pull it into their home. Should you decided to take that route, be mindful of how you dispose of your furniture.

Since you're on a budget from what it sounds like, you could put your stuff in a storage area for a year (depending on how much a storage facility in your area costs that is). It's not ideal at all, but everything should die off by then. You could also try using Nuvan to kill things [just be mindful of how you pack things into your bags and read the instructions].

I can't afford a Packtite. I have read a few posts about putting books and papers in the oven - is this safe or feasible?

I wouldn't put your books in an oven as you'd probably end up creating some sort of fire hazard or wrecking your books. If you have a dryer rack that you can put inside your dryer, that would work, but the heat still might do funny things. However, you could also just seal them up for a year if you don't mind not seeing them for a bit.

Should I bathe my cat before taking him to the new place?

Maybe? Sometimes it's just a good idea to bathe the cat regardless. Bathing the cat before you bring him over just might be a good idea for other things like fleas or excess fur. From what I gather, bed bugs don't like living on moving objects though. Personally would still give him a bath regardless.

You could try a heat treatment or vikane treatment of a truck. You'd have to contact a PCO who specializes in this sort of thing though. Those two would probably be the best solutions to your problem. However, it costs money. Boo money.

Let's get down the business... to defeat... the bugs. HWAH!
  8. RNinNYC

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 13 2015 6:36:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure where you live, but some companies rent out Packtites or will take your belongings to their heat chambers. A packtite closet may be a good rental for you, as you can do your books, take apart the frame and put it in, and possibly the desk?

9. bbnewbie123

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 13 2015 10:33:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there,

If it were me, I would definitely do my best to get my stuff treated before moving.

As far as your new place goes, I've still always heard to not treat unless you know there is a problem to treat.

Here is an article you may find interesting: http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/prophylactic-use-of-silica-dust-cimexa-in-multi-unit-dwellings

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,302 posts in 50,165 topics over 155 months by 21,927 of 22,425 members. Latest: xterra888, MaryPoppinsYall, nomorecreepycrawlies