Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Moving!! (NO CHOICE) Please help me check my plan!!!

(6 posts)
  1. gingerrogers

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Sep 2 2016 10:44:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there fellow bbers,

I moved into a building in Montréal July 1st and quickly discovered that we were dealing with bedbugs. About a week after we moved in we woke up at 2am to them crawling up our walls, on our ceiling, and all over the floor! In about a week I got around ~100 bites and many of those turned into blisters or hives that raised to be about 1cm. I had a severe allergic reaction to the bites and we were forced to leave our apartment with practically nothing. I also found them in my very long, and very thick hair. Oh, and also between my toes

Luckily, before we left we bought a packtite, and have been able to treat all our clothes, put them in giant ziplocs, and then put those ziplocs into 2 clear garbage bags. We have been staying outside the city with my boyfriend's parents for 2 months now, and we haven't seen any sign of them here. We have been meticulous in our treatment process and haven't allowed anything that hasn't been treated in the house. When we treat our stuff, we wear painter's outfits (with hoods), taped to rubber boots with duct tape, taped to vinyl gloves. Basically we look like we're making meth but whatever. We strip down on the porch, throw the painter's outfits out in a sealed bag, and leave the boots outside on the back porch. Our backpacks, wallets, etc. either get left in the car or treated every single time we go near our apartment, even if it's on the porch, and we put our clothes in the dryer immediately when we get back. So far, so good.

So, we have had 8 treatments in 2 months and no improvement. The landlord hired a new exterminator who told me the building has been infested 3-5 years which means the bugs are more resistant. The apartment is also attached to another apartment on the other side, and we are an old Victorian building with 6 apartments. I have talked to previous tenants who have had to sue the landlord, and it looks like we will be going to court with them as well. The city is going to get involved, but I haven't had a home in a long time, and we already found a new place to live.

My question is this: I think that I have a pretty good plan to not bring any bugs with us, but there are some things I don't know how to treat. Can anyone advise me on these? Here is my crazy list!!!

We are renting a storage locker until we get our new apartment, and so we can monitor the situation before we move stuff into our new apartment. I am planning on treating everything possible in our packtite, and then putting ddvp strips in the storage and leaving them there for 3 weeks+ to let them work their magic. Even things I have treated with the packtite will get the ddvp treatment after, and we will treat everything yet again when we move into our new apartment...

Clothing, textiles, books:
    - all go into packtite, then directly into ziploc bags or into big tupperware bigs
    - ziploc bags go into double bags, which get thrown out at the storage locker, and put into sealed bag to be thrown out, or tupperware bins will be sealed with ddvp strip in each bin

Electronics, audio equipment etc.
    - sealed in large tupperware bin (will tape it closed) with ddvp strip for at least a month, will rent the storage locker for longer if necessary and let them stew

Plates, bowls, foodstuffs
    - planning on just washing with hot, soapy water, then putting in sealed tupperware bins (can I use something other than all these giant bins? They will be expensive

Makeup, toiletries, etc.
    - washing with hot soapy water too
    - things like brushes can go in packtite

Small appliances like electric toothbrush, coffee maker
    - go in bins with ddvp strips? not sure what to do with these

My sofa...:(
    I have a great IKEA sofa that they don't make anymore. I think we'll have to ditch it, probably. Is there any way of really knowing it would be ok to bring it? I was thinking of renting a separate storage locker and leaving a bunch ddvp strips in there, but that seems irresponsible. I also have a 1950s upholstered chair I think we'll have to ditch.

Wood table and wicker chairs
    - treat with murphy's oil soap, then treat with spray or a portable steam cleaner to get in cracks and crevices
    - will leave in locker with ddvp strips for several weeks

Everything like shoes, etc will go in packtite..

How can my boyfriend treat his crazy, hand built, computer, and big TV? Can we ddvp them? Or should we just leave it in a sealed bin with carpet tape??

How can I treat the packtite?? This scares the shit out of me! Could I spray it with bed bug spray maybe?

Anything we can't be sure of like the sofa (sadly) and plants (very sadly) will have to go, and we will clearly label them so no one else takes them.

I know that people will tell us to stay, but we really can't. I am way too allergic and the landlord is completely ineffective, so much so that this has been going on for ~5 years. Is there anything we can do upon moving into our new place to be proactive? We were thinking of renting an industrial steam cleaner and doing the floors, and then putting down DE maybe for the first month.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help
    Cheers!

2. eradicator

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Sep 7 2016 17:25:56
    #

Login to Send PM

For things like the computer, you can put it in a bag and seal it and leave it in the car with the windows rolled up in the mid part of the day and that should fry the bugs, though I don't know if it ever gets hot in Montreal even in the summer.

3. bkh1928

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Sep 14 2016 11:20:10
    #

Login to Send PM

No one responded to the ddvp strips in the storage unit. That's what I'm planning to do. Is this a good option?

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Sep 14 2016 23:09:35
    #

Login to Send PM

eradicator - 1 week ago  » 
    For things like the computer, you can put it in a bag and seal it and leave it in the car with the windows rolled up in the mid part of the day and that should fry the bugs, though I don't know if it ever gets hot in Montreal even in the summer.

No, that's not a reliable method, even in hot areas. Items in bags can be very well insulated in the center, and that's where bed bugs will go to try and survive.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Sep 14 2016 23:36:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Using DDVP strips in a sealed container (e.g. a sealed bag inside a plastic tub) can work for electronics, books, etc. I would personally do this rather than treat a storage locker as a whole, unless perhaps its an unoccupied space not connected to others' spaces (eg a shed behind your home). But I am not an expert on this.

For more specific tips on this, please seek out posts by P Bello in threads tagged DDVP, per the DDVP section in Useful Tools.

Most people here aren't very experienced with these products but P Bello is. He has many existing threads on this which should answer your questions.

There is no need to treat clothing with DDVP. Just dry on hot and seal in bags.

I will ask David James to weigh in on cleaning a Packtite safely. Which model do you have?

6. djames1921

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 15 2016 8:38:12
    #

Login to Send PM

For your Packtite unit, or any of our units, you can run the unit empty for an hour then turn the unit off and visually inspect or wipe with alcohol the outer shell of the bag. Another way would be to remove the heater fittings from the bag and place the bag portion in the dryer. You can run the unit first before removing the fittings just to be sure no bed bugs are on the fittings themselves though this is unlikely.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs