Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

moving into apt that has bed bugs - what to do

(5 posts)
  1. newtothebattle

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 21 2008 8:33:32
    #

Login to Send PM

We have rented the lower apartment in a brownstone that has two apartments. The person we hired to clean the apartment before we moved in found bed bugs in the bathroom. We had an exterminator come right away and he found a dead bed bug so he treated the entire apartment which is still empty. He checked the upstairs tenant and they do not have bed bugs, just ants. The landlord says the previous tenant (gone for two months) did not mention bed bugs. The exterminator said to move in (tomorrow - egad) and he will treat again in two weeks. He said to keep everything away from the walls. I have read the FAQ and we will protect our beds and possibly isolate my young son's bed.

PLEASE, ANY ADVICE!?! Are we crazy to move in? We thought we should keep most of our furniture shrink wrapped (from the move) until after the second treatment. Should we send most of our stuff to storage until we know they are gone? I plan to put all of our winter bedding and clothes in large ziploc bags before placing it in closets.

The exterminator has an excellent reputation and said that just this week he will visit a dozen homes in our neighborhood.

2. potterpulsive

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 21 2008 9:58:26
    #

Login to Send PM

OMG DON"T MOVE IN!!!! Please don't do it, if you can avoid it at any cost don't move in to an infested apartment! If you absolutely have to put as much as you can in storage cuz you might as well consider anything you bring with you a write off. We've been treated three times and have done everything to get rid of them and have finally had to move and throw out EVERYTHING we own. SO think about those little things you've collected over the years, those momentos of people that are no longer with you, family pictures, favourite clothes...and imagine losing it all! The stress is unimaginable. I can't express enough how you should not do this.

Good luck

3. angie

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 21 2008 10:27:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe go with keeping stuff in storage for a couple more treatments. I think you will find out how bad the infestation is when you move in. It sounds like you have a good PCO and will keep up with the treatments. I personally would ask the PCO to at least treat the other apartment once just to be sure. And I know that its not like you can just back out of a lease so make the best of it. Take as little with you at first so you have less to worry about. Good luck!

4. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 21 2008 12:06:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Please don't move in. I don't know you but I would not want anyone to go through what I've gone through. The challenge, agony, and difficulty of dealing with bedbugs cannot be underestimated. You have no idea what you are facing. I would not want you to suffer like you will suffer. Loss of sleep, loss of money, possible loss of possessions -- not to mention being bitten, in your bed, bleeding on your sheets, not being able to have company over, if you have friends over and they get bedbugs, then they blame you, having people at work blaming you if they get bedbugs--no, you do not want to move in. Please don't. You don't want to expose yourself to this scourge and possibly spread it to others.

I just read again that you have a son. You are considering exposing your son to this? You would not send your son to a camp where you KNEW the cabins were infested with bedbugs, so why are you considering moving into a brownstone with bedbugs? Please protect your son.

If your brownstone is an attached brownstone, the source of the bedbugs may be another brownstone in the row. Unless you treat all attached buildings, you will never get rid of the bedbugs.

5. cocob

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 21 2008 13:07:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    Please dont move in. I dont want you suffer like how I did.
    I moved in a house a month ago and saw bed bugs only the next day I moved in. Did everything i can do to get rid of them and still i am suffering. I started a website (www.sentl.com) to update my experiences in getting rid of Bed bugs and updating it now.Check it.
    Dont do the mistake. Take Care.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

274,676 posts in 45,064 topics over 137 months by 19,786 of 20,521 members. Latest: jes510, Jessica107, Starsky30