(8 posts)
  1. Bauzzy

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 3 2014 2:42:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

My apologies if this topic has been covered before. I found some similar posts, but nothing quite like what I want to ask so...

I have an interview for a unit in a co-op called [name deleted] (Canadian-style mixed-income housing) on Friday and noticed that there was a bed bug report for the building in 2008. The report was very short, "bed bugs in at least one unit." No follow-ups, nothing else.

The unit is in a neighbourhood that has been one of the worst hit in Vancouver, many buildings and co-ops in the area have had issues at some point.

Anyway, I was looking for any advice or experience anyone could provide for me. Should I still go for the unit? If so, what sort of questions would you recommend asking at the time of the interview?

I'm a little nervous about moving into a building with a history, however, my husband thinks that the report is so old it has most likely been resolved by now...

Thanks in advance for any advice or help!

2. InsectPests.Net

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 3 2014 5:24:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs won't hang around in an empty room, but they will migrate from room to room in a building lickity split. Even if some people don't have bed bugs, there is a possibility that some will find you if they exist.

Many times, people don't report a bed bug problem due to fear of being evicted.

I would bravely ask some of the tenants if there is a bed bug problem in the building. I can tell you that I would be honest with people in my building.

I would for sure be nervous about any building with a history. Bed bugs can hibernate for about a year, so keep that in mind. The report should be significantly old...

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 3 2014 8:57:35
    #

Login to Send PM

InsectPests.Net - 3 hours ago  » 
    Bed bugs won't hang around in an empty room, but they will migrate from room to room in a building lickity split. Even if some people don't have bed bugs, there is a possibility that some will find you if they exist.

While bed bugs will find a host to feed on where possible, it is not true that they won't hang around in an empty apartment for some time.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Bauzzy

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 3 2014 18:27:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your help Nobugsonme and InsectPests.net.

I spoke to a friend who has been dealing with an infestation for over a year off and on (she thought it was finally gone and then found a bug recently ) and she recommended I show up to the interview and ask really detailed questions about the past infestation: how they dealt with it, do they have a bed bug plan in place for the future, etc. It was her opinion that 6 years ago is a very long time and it should have been dealt with by now if there are no follow up reports.

Asking other tenants would be ideal, but I'm not sure how realistic that will be as I believe the building uses fobs.

Also, I posted this in a new post, but if someone could help me erase the name of the building from this post that would be great. I'm just worried about it possibly being an issue if I do decide to move into the building...

Thanks!

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 3 2014 19:54:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Deleted!

6. Bauzzy

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 3 2014 21:56:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much Nobugsonme!

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 4 2014 10:34:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

There is a huge difference between a current infestation and an internet trail that indicates a previous issue.

If all of a sudden we decided it was only acceptable to live in locations with no history of bedbugs the world would n at lot more modern and recently built as all homes greater than 90 years old would be off the list because they all have bedbug history.

OK that history may precede the invention of the internet but they were at one stage infested non the less.

This is why I have an issue with online registries of bedbug activity, the databases that drive them were never designed to allow for the update of information once the issue has been resolved and when correct steps have been put in place to prevent future issues.

There is also the stark reality that selecting accommodation on the basis of it not being on a register only means that the issue has not been reported not that its bedbug free.

As such I could happily take all the fallacious register sites and convert them into sites that give people the correct information, namely:

• Regardless of registry details learn to look and thus learn to avoid.
    • Learn the basics of bedbugs so you know what to look for.
    • Learn to confirm so you don't get hit in the pocket.
    • Learn the value of early detection and its benefit to you and your family.

I actually prefer to stay at places with bedbug reports because they at least should have some basic supplies and processes on site should there be an issue.

Sadly the rest of the world is still stuck in short term logic and they want a list of where to avoid, I guess its easier to look it up than to learn what to do.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  8. Bauzzy

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 9 2014 2:04:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi bed-bugscouk,

Thank you for the advice and the thoughtful response. You have a lot of good points.

Is there any advice you could give me in terms of what to look for when checking out a prospective unit?

I've heard of hiring K9 units to sniff before moving in...do you have any thoughts on that?

Thanks for your expertise and time,

Bauzzy

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,610 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956