Moving in to New Apartment with one bed bug report

(8 posts)
  1. sarahjoan

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 23 2010 18:46:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Edit: Sorry, I realize now that I should have added this to a particular forum. Not sure how to move it now.

Hello everyone,

I have never had bed bugs, but I'm paranoid about getting them and do frequent checks of my mattress, furniture, etc "just in case." I currently live with my grandparents in a house, but I'm moving out into an apartment in Toronto.

Now, Toronto happens to have a huge bed bug problem, with many, many apartments being absolutely infested with these things. So, while searching for a reasonably priced apartment in a good area, I've also been checking every potential address in bedbugregistry.com, and have found that many of these buildings have bug reports.

I found a building that seemed great, very clean and in one of the more sort of upper-class neighbourhoods. There was nothing on bedbugregistry about this building when I was first looking into it. However, a report was put up last month. Report said "Apparantly one apartment in the building was sprayed for bed bugs, and a notice put up in the laundry room to alert tenants." This was confirmed by going to the website for the tenants' association for the buildings in the area, which mentioned that their latest newsletter included a warning that one unit had had a bed bug issue.

I was very upset about this, because I was so excited about the building and it had seemed to fit my needs perfectly. At first, I decided there was absolutely no way I would still consider living in this building. However, I called the leasing consultant and explained how I felt, and asked her to tell me what was going on, whether they had had any other reports, etc. She was very nice, told me it was totally understandable that I would have reservations about living there because of the bed bug report. She said that the bugs were found in one unit only, by a girl who had just moved in, and that they had it inspected and sprayed by two different companies, had the dogs in there, and it seemed to be under control. She said the companies said it was likely that the bugs had been brought in from the moving truck, since there hadn't been any other reports in the building.

Furthermore, she said that this unit was on the 17th floor, while the unit I was interested in renting was on the 7th floor, so it was quite far away. She also mentioned that the residents of the building come to management very quickly with any problems with broken appliances, ants, etc, so if the infestation DID spread to surrounding units, it would be taken care of as quickly as possible.

Basically, what I'm wondering is whether I'm crazy for trusting her and still considering taking the apartment. It doesn't seem like the building has had any issues with bugs up until now, and none of the other buildings in the immediate area have bugs. It also seems like management has been very good with being on top of the problem. If the unit I were interested in renting were on the same floor as the one that had the issue, I would not consider moving in, but this one is ten floors away.

At the same time, though, I realize bugs can spread VERY quickly, and I realize what an emotionally, physically, and financially draining process it is to deal with BBs. Do you think it's worth taking the risk? The apartment is absolutely perfect for me in every other respect.

Sorry for the long post. Any advice would be very much appreciated, including things I could do to prevent getting bugs if I do decide to move in to this place

2. MyWorstFear

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 23 2010 22:18:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I, personally, would not move there. However, if you really love the place, before you make any decisions is there anyway you could get back into the building and talk to the people on the 17th floor yourself? It's possible that depending upon who's living there, they might be clueless about bed bugs, and therefore don't know they have a problem, or are afraid to complain to the landlord. Also, be sure to speak to the people in the apartment directly above and below the infested apartment. Assuming you can trust what the real estate person said (and my experience with real estate agents is that they will lie through their teeth to make their commissions) there are a couple of red flags with what she said.
    1) The apartment might have had bed bugs for a long while and that's the reason the original people moved out.
    If so, then the bed bugs can be quite numerous and hiding all over the place. When the apartment was vacated, the bed bugs could have spread out to other units on the same floor, but also above and below the apartment since they no longer had a host/blood meal in that apartment.
    2) Why did the building hire 2 different exterminating companies? Seems like the first one didn't do a good enough job, so they had to get someone different in, which means that someone must have complained. A bad extermination job can make the bugs spread out.
    3) I think dogs can't be brought in until 45 days after a spraying, since the chemicals interfere with their sense of smell. So, unless the dog was brought in after that many days had passed, the dog could have given a false negative that the bugs were gone.
    4) Someone who has bed bugs will be doing a ton of laundry. If they aren't carefully bagging up their laundry on the way to the machines, they can easily spread the bugs in the elevator or in the laundry room, and other unsuspecting people will pick them up when they are doing their own laundry.
    Read the FAQ's on this site and see if you would be able to deal with bed bugs if you ever get them and see if it's worth it to take the chance.

3. sarahjoan

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 24 2010 11:23:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much for reading my post and for your response. It's so hard to know what to do - many friends I've talked to have said things like "Well, you probably won't get them, but if you do get them, you'll just have to get sprayed." So many people don't seem to realize that it's not that easy, and they don't seem to understand the way bed bugs can completely change your life.

Talking to the people on the 17th floor is a good idea. I'm not sure if I can arrange that, but I'll certainly try. I also sent an email to the tenants' association, asking if their knowledge of the bed bug situation from a residents' perspective matches what the rental company is telling me - I feel like they'd have less reason to lie to me about it.

I also noticed that someone on the 18th floor of the building has an ad for a sublet on Craigslist. I wonder if this is bed bug related (if so, heaven help the person who takes that apartment!). I sent an email to the person who posted the ad, explaining that I'm not interested in their unit, but that I'm interested in the building and wondered what their experience was with bed bugs.

Hopefully, someone gets back to me and I can get some more evidence to work with. The points you brought up are very true. I'm not sure why there were two companies; at first, I was thinking they were trying to be "extra thorough" and kind of get a second opinion, but if they did their research and chose the best possible company in the first place, that shouldn't be necessary.

I'm also concerned about the laundry, like you said. So many chances for bugs to move from that one apartment out into the elevators, halls, and laundry room.

Would it be worth it to have a PCO take a look at the apartment before I move in (if I take the chance and go for it), or would they have a hard time finding anything if the apartment had been empty and without a blood meal for a week or two?

4. controlfreak

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 24 2010 11:55:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Well if you find somewhere else and move, you won't know if it is clean or the report did not make it to internet yet. Ask the management if they treat surrounding units of the infested unit and what protocols they follow etc... It may be better to live in a place where management is responsible and proactive since there is no guarantee any apartment complex will be safe forever. It is just one infested truck, one infested hotel stay away from anybody.... Wow that sounded a bit more doomsdayish then i intended... Sorry :)... Well at the end it's all up to you. You should decide what will be more peaceful for you. If you are gonna turn yourself crazy with paranoia by moving to this complex, may be it is better to find somewhere else....

5. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 24 2010 11:56:05
    #

Login to Send PM

It's so hard these days. You just never know. I know for a fact that there was one tenant that had bedbugs about two years ago, yet it is not listed on the registry. She lived on the other side of the complex and I had just found out about it about two months ago.

It's a difficult decision. I hope everything works out for you.

6. queenie

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 24 2010 14:54:03
    #

Login to Send PM

When I was apartment hunting, I had a difficult time. I looked up 311 complaints online (in NYC), the bed bug registry, and taked to the neighbors. I could not find anything. I also called KillerQueen and he told me to talk to the neighbors and purchase the Bed Bug Beacon. His great advice on apartment hunting is captured online in the "New York Daily News" at http://www.nydailynews.com/real_estate/2010/10/01/2010-10-01_bug_out_with_bedbugs_infesting_the_city_heres_how_to_avoid_them_when_home_huntin.html.
    Best wishes. I happened to find an apartment without a record of bed bugs, but one of the most important things is to find out if you have a good landlord (which I do), super, and how they respond to pests and how they have handled previous situations. If they have not been responsive or unsuccessful in past situations, then that says a lot.

7. queenie

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 24 2010 15:01:15
    #

Login to Send PM

8. MyWorstFear

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 24 2010 16:14:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately, even if a PCO gives the all clear to the apartment you want, who's to say that the next day someone doesn't bring them back into the building. It's a jungle out there. (you can pick them up in the subway, taxi, restaurant, theatre, coat check, bus, etc.) If/when you do take an apartment, people have recommended caulking every crack and crevice so that the bugs can't find their way in from a neighboring unit. (but read the FAQ's on this as well....I think you can only caulk after you know there aren't any in your unit, otherwise, you could be caulking them INTO your place).
    Let us know what happens. I'm curious if you hear back from the person on the 18th floor who is looking to sublet and what that person tells you.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,655 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982