Moving in three weeks, just saw bug zero

(6 posts)
  1. dougfunnie83

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 8 2014 3:13:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I sit here, beer in one hand and tablet in another, about two hours after seeing "bug zero." I find myself in rather a unique situation, and need some guidance.

Me and my new wife are moving from our one bedroom apartment into a larger place in about three weeks. About three days ago I noticed what I thought was a rash on my neck, and which the sighting of bug zero on the couch tonight has made me realize is actually bed bug bites. My mom had issues with the little blighters a couple of years ago, so I'm positive in my identification of both the bug (which I have, live, in a plastic ziplock) and the bites on my neck.

Now I'm at a loss for what to do. Originally I planned to take the day off work tomorrow to talk to the management company, launder all of our clothes, toss out the old couch, and spray the same chemicals that my mom used to fend off the mini-monsters from her place. My situation is compounded by the fact that we are moving soon and do not want to risk taking them with us, that we have a cat that we cannot leave elsewhere conveniently, and at our space is rather cluttered (though not dirtly) as we don't really have enough space for the wedding presents we recently received.

Can anyone give me some thoughts about what I can do here? I seem to get so much conflicting information. I don't mind getting rid of both our couch and our bed when we move (both are nearing the need of their natural lives), but I desperately want to prevent this from becoming a problem. Considering my unique set of circumstances, it feels like an almost insurmountable problem.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 8 2014 6:42:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Kind of a tight timeline, but still doable with success. Post a photo of the captured bug so we can all make sure it's a bed bug and not a close relative like a bat bug, which takes a different treatment method. Top and bottom images with high resolution if possible.
    It's probably too close to your moving date to rely on your landlord solely at this point, so you may want to research Vikane and moving vans that provide a treatment service if available in your area. Where are you?

3. dougfunnie83

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 8 2014 9:13:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I got up this morning to discover that, somehow (I have no idea how, as the bag was very securely closed) the dreaded monster has escaped its bag during the night! Fortunately it was left on a counter not far from the couch where it was harvested!

Unfortunately, my photographic evidence was not great, but I did take a video, posted at http://youtu.be/DHwUoBTPZzQ that should help. Please forgive the distracted camera work.

I'm in a suburb of Denver.

Bite marks below...

4. dougfunnie83

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 8 2014 9:15:36
    #

Login to Send PM

5. BedBugsnBeyond

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 8 2014 12:20:12
    #

Login to Send PM

As Big Dummy mentioned, you may want to seriously consider having your items fumigated with sulfuryl fluoride as part of your move.

Typically there are more precautions taken in packing and loading your items into the moving truck that is to be fumigated. Nothing can be sealed airtight in plastic, because this would create a void that would not be treated by the gas. Natural packing materials are recommended.

Fumigation will not add much time into your moving timeline. This can be completed in less than 24 hours.

- Bed Bugs and Beyond

6. dougfunnie83

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 8 2014 12:50:44
    #

Login to Send PM

How do I find a service for this? What is a typical cost?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,649 posts in 49,518 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982