Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Moving - how to avoid bringing them with us?

(6 posts)
  1. Hatter106

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 13 2017 9:19:45
    #

Login to Send PM

BACKGROUND: We've lived in a two-unit duplex apartment for several years now. Started to get itchy bites over the summer. Brought a pest control professional in - he found no bedbugs on the mattress, none on the metal bedframe. But on the boxspring he found 2-3 juvenile bedbugs. He found none outside of the bedroom, in our couches.

TREATMENT: His professional treatment would have cost $1200+, so we bought some mattress and boxspring enclosures and Diatomaceous earth. Despite the cheap Wal-Mart boxspring enclosure ripping when we put it on (sealed the rip with duct tape), we've only had one stray bite in the past month.

PROBLEM: This has convinced us to move. We've bought a house and move in just over a month. We don't want to bring the bedbugs with us - we laundered all our clothing and have been keeping them in garbage bags in the living room since then. We're getting rid of the entire bed and buying a new one. But we'd like to bring as much of our wooden furniture as possible - and here's the problem. Our bedroom also housed a large wooden Ikea bookshelf with hundreds of books on it. We've heard that bedbugs can hide between the pages of a book. We want to keep the shelf and the books, but don't want to risk bringing bedbugs with us.

QUESTION: I know moving in the middle of a bedbug fight isn't ideal, but given that it's happening, what are some tips to avoid bringing them with us? And what should we do with the bookshelf and books? I've heard some people keep them in storage units for two years. What about leaving them in a shed over the winter?

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 13 2017 9:24:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Something doesn't sound right to me. Only a few immature bed bugs... might mean that they could have been misidentified. Any chance you could post a photo?

3. Hatter106

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 13 2017 10:59:47
    #

Login to Send PM

No photos, sorry. Didn't think of it.
    The inspector found one molted bed bug carapace, and then only a couple of the actual bugs. They looked like small reddish apple seeds. He didn't find any more, but was puzzled that he only found a couple of juveniles.

I should also mention that we told our downstairs neighbours to keep an eye out, and they told us that they found one in their couch. So it's a possibility that they were moving through up through the floor.

We also made some improvised bed leg traps, and again aside from the one bite, there's hasn't been any other bites for a month.

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 13 2017 11:06:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I would get a second opinion before doing anything else.

5. Hatter106

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 13 2017 12:00:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree that a 2nd opinion would be ideal, but funds and time are both tight with our move approaching.

The itchy red bites we both received nightly seem to match up with bed bug bites.

Assuming that they are indeed bed bugs, how should we proceed going forward?

6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 13 2017 12:28:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I would use a few passive monitors and check them in the weeks preceding your move.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,940 posts in 49,855 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19