Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Moving, disposing of a lot of furniture?

(5 posts)
  1. tireddddddd

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Dec 14 2017 13:52:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Long post ahead! Sorry, I'm just a bit rant-y...

Hello -- so I'm a young minimum-wage worker living alone for the first time, and I've been stuck with bedbugs being in my apartment since August. Back when I first found a single bug on my pillow (while I was laying there, horrifying) I called the landlord and followed their instructions to have my apartment treated promptly. I took down my art and posters, put all of my clothing in sealed bags, vaccuumed literally everything. The first time, I was pleased afterward because I thought I was free ( they didn't warn me to keep watch for another 30 days, or however long it is )

They came back!! I think a month later or so, I had bites again. I had a hard time finding the bugs this time but I definitely recognized the bites. I think I cried a lot but then contacted my landlord again and they sent the exterminator out for a re-treat. I'm lucky in that I didn't have to pay for any of the treatments, but honestly I don't think it was working. I have a feeling that other units are infested, judging by a) the amount of mattresses I see thrown out in the garbage nearly every day b) my neighbours account of dealing with bugs 2 years ago and c) the exterminator himself told me he was tired of coming back to a place where nobody seems to prepare properly for his treatment.

So, needless to say, the second treatment didn't get rid of them. I think I made it for 3 weeks before seeing anything new and I was really hopeful again -- but obviously, they returned. But I was fairly dumb and unpacked some of my things, which would make it harder to get ready for another treatment. Since my lease is up at the end of December, I didn't think it would make sense to do another treatment before I disposed of all the furniture I don't want to take with me -- which, at this point, is everything.

I already just threw out most of my clothes. My curtains are gone, too ( I panicked and tossed them after finding two bugs camping out on them the day after a treatment, wtf ) and I'm planning to throw out literally everything except for my TV stand, my electronics, posters and art as well as one bag of clothes and all of my books sealed in bags ( the books will have to be locked away for a year. ) I'm tired enough that I don't care about getting rid of my stuff!! One good thing that has come out of it is the realization that I don't really need as much stuff as I thought I did, lol. I'm lucky, again, because the new place that I'm moving in to already has a lot of furniture. I'm renting a room from my parent's second property, and they know all about my bedbug situation. They're also ready to do treatments themselves in case I do end up getting the house infested... which is, honestly, my worst nightmare. The infestation right now is worse than it was initially, I can see a bug crawling around next to my bed almost every other day. I've seen them on the couch in my living room too. I want to escape...

Anyway, now that I've got my story out there -- I have a few questions re: my move and how I should prepare properly.

1) I know books and treated clothes need to be in sealed-tight bags. Books are pretty much impossible to treat, aren't they? Although my grandmother said that she heard you can put them in the oven??

2) It's pretty important to me to have my art/posters/pictures with me when I move, otherwise I won't really feel at home when I move in... I know it's not super likely that there would be bed bugs in my art but the paranoia is there. Is there a safe way to clean them? Maybe I could wipe them down with something? Or to be perfectly safe, do I have no choice but to keep them sealed away in the shed for a year along with the books?

3) I have a lot of furniture to dispose of, and I live alone; nobody really wants to help me move them to the garbage because of the risk of being exposed to the bugs. I know most of you don't live in Canada, so I don't expect any specific services to be named but generally, are there disposal companies I could hire just to come in to my apartment and move my stuff to the garbage for me? Has anyone else had to hire someone to dispose of infested furniture for them? Do you think I could ask my landlord for help getting rid of my stuff? My dad suggested just leaving the furniture when I move, but I think that would be rude. ( Please don't suggest ways to take them with me -- for my own mental health, I think getting rid of everything I can is going to make me feel a bit better. Anything I keep is going to cause me anxiety )

Sorry this got so long. I just wanted to get the whole story out there because after four months of being stuck with them, the helplessness and frustration is really high, lol.. I've had sleeping problems the whole time, and I didn't connect the two until I read some other posts on here about people experiencing mental health problems because of bed-bugs, too.

I'm not really confident that I can move without carrying them over... and even if I do, I don't think I'll feel safe at the new place for a while. So any advice about moving would honestly put my mind at ease. Thank you so much for reading.

2. Flybee

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Dec 14 2017 14:28:19
    #

Login to Send PM

May be try the rag in a bag method with cirkil for your books ?

3. bugged-cdn

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Dec 14 2017 19:29:33
    #

Login to Send PM

We got rid of all our furniture when we moved out. We trashed it so people wouldn't be tempted to pick it up. Our building had a big dumpster out back so that's what we used. Not all at once, but over the course of 2-3 weeks.

4. Pattycake

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Dec 14 2017 19:43:59
    #

Login to Send PM

You could buy a thermal strike for a reasonable price and treat the things you want to keep. I love mine and was able to treat books lamps shoes keepsakes...no need to throw your whole life away. I don't think you can get nuvan strips in Canada but they were a life saver when I was moving.

5. thirdusername

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Dec 14 2017 20:39:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I also live in Canada.
    I couldn't get the landlord to help me throw out my bed.
    No one wanted to volunteer to come in to my apartment.
    I find that weird because I am sure they go into lots of infested apartments and don't know any better.
    I think they can live in electronics too but probably only things near where they can feed.
    It is really nice you can move in to your parent's rental property.
    No, you can't get Nuvan Pro strips in Canada.
    You can get one of those packtite heater bags in Canada.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,715 posts in 48,877 topics over 151 months by 21,459 of 21,861 members. Latest: NHbugs, nervousbackpacker, SimpleObserver