Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Moving away from bedbug-ridden apartment - what precautions to take?

(9 posts)
  1. RW21

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Oct 6 2011 22:00:11
    #

Login to Send PM

So I noticed bedbugs in my apartment a month ago and the manager has done nothing about the problem. I started noticing bed bugs crawling around the wall and I think they have been living inside the wall since I moved in.

Landlord says I should pay for it if I want them gone, so I said screw it I'm leaving. I feel sorry for whoever is moving in after me but at this point it's out of my hands. I'm moving out at the end of the month and already not sleeping there anymore. I'm moving back with my parents for the time being but trying to figure out what precautions I need to take. I know I need to heat treat my clothing. I'm considering just throwing out all my furniture - I have a steel bed frame with a memory foam mattress with a cover on it, what should I do about that? I've noticed bed bugs crawling on it but have inspected closely and can't find any on it now.

Also what about stuff like TV, TV stand, DVD's, CD's, etc.? Are those OK to transport?

Thank you all so much in advance

2. bedbugsuptown

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Oct 6 2011 22:56:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi RW21,
    I'm sorry for your troubles. I don't know where you live but in nyc the landlord is obliged by law to treat your apartment.

That being said and all things not being equal --just because it's a tenants right to be treated for bbs at the LL's expense does not always happen especially if you don't fight. It sounds like your determined to move back home to your parents--true?

I'm not a PCO but I have a question: is your mattress cover a BB certified mattress encasement.
    If the bed is properly encased any BB's inside will die over time however moving is always tricky, particularly if your stuff has never been treated at all.

Another question: Is your tv in the same room as your bed? Is it in close proximity to it? Again, I'm not a PCO, just another bedbugger like you--but because of my circumstances I'm staying. I always hear about alarm clocks having bbs in them but an alarm clock is always in arms reach of the bed.
    Have you seen bbs anywhere near the tv? Is it in another room? Have you tried searching the forum for a post that mentions a television? Try searching the forums.

As far as your DVD's and CD's and anything made of material that you can carefully inspect and wipe down with 90% alcohol and seal in zip locks--I think you can take them. If your a little uncertain just pop them in a clear secure ziplocks and see what you see over a period of time. I'd suggest that you take the DVD's and CD's out of the plastic containers and leave them open in the bags. You might store the paper pictures in another ziplock. Make the contents as visible as possible if your worried about
    an egg that you may have missed. Then just wait.

Your furniture can be treated, however moving furniture is always complicated cause you can't put it in a bag. Large cities have Co's that use Vikane gas to kill bbs. You might check that out.

Of course this means research, money, and there is always a risk with trucks in moving. I find it hard to believe that most moving co's take enough precautions with their trucks; and that includes U-Hauls perhaps the worst offenders.

I know you don't want to infest your parents. And as for the next tenant that your feeling bad about.
    Call 311 and make a report so that the building your leaving is listed in the bed bug registry of infested buildings.

Good luck be with you on your move RW21.

bedbugsuptown

3. bedbugsuptown

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Oct 6 2011 23:39:20
    #

Login to Send PM

RW21, hello again,

If you are interested in keeping all of your belongings albeit at cost search for this thread:
    Update on Thermal Remidiation in Rental Trucks?

bedbugsuptown

4. RW21

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Oct 7 2011 0:37:58
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsuptown - 56 minutes ago  » 
    RW21, hello again,
    If you are interested in keeping all of your belongings albeit at cost search for this thread:
    Update on Thermal Remidiation in Rental Trucks?
    bedbugsuptown

Thank you so much for the reply. I couldnt find it in that thread but do you know what the cost for something like that would be?

I'm currently in a small studio apartment so everything is pretty close together. The TV is about 5 feet away from both the bed and couch. The couch definitely has bed bugs in it. The bed has had some crawling on it but I don't think there are any actively living in the bed. I've seen bed bugs on the wall that the TV is closest too but never any on or around the TV - of course the TV is black and so is the TV stand, so it would be hard to see regardless.

Ugh..this makes me all feel so helpless. My TV...Xbox...night stand...picture frames...i feel like they might all be infested. I feel like my entire life is lost

5. BugsMustDie

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Oct 7 2011 6:52:04
    #

Login to Send PM

RW21,

How much longer are you staying in the apartment? You could attempt to monitor those items for activity. If you have a stand or table you can pull away from the wall (and make sure no coards are touching the floor), put the feet in ClimbUps and stick the items in question on it. If you have a couple of weeks (but you should sleep there to encourage them to come out and try to feed) if they are in the items, they will crawl out to feed on you and get stuck in the ClimbUps. This is by no means a method to treat those items, but simply a way to see if they're even in them in the first place. If nothing is caught, I would still take caution and attempt to treat them though because you never know. But this may at least help you to determine if a harborage is in them.

I would definately research your local laws, as suggested above, because moving without treatment is very risky and you're not going to solve your problem if you bring them with you.

Read the FAQs (if you haven't already), these may give some advice for moving. Some people choose to invest in a Packtite, which can treat the items in question. There are also nuvan strips, but these must be used with extreme caution (sealed in bags with items) and kept outside the home (in a garage or storage shed). Or you could keep things bagged for several months (18 months is the safety point) and just let them die of dehydration. There are options, but you must be very, very careful.
    -Best

6. bedbugsuptown

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Oct 7 2011 9:49:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi RW21,
    Here is a portion of the thread I was posting to you about:

We do both moving truck fumigation and rental truck fumigations [link deleted by admin] in NY, NJ and FLA. There are three licensed fumigators in that area that also offer our same services. Contact the NY Dept of Environmental Protection to get the names/contacts of those LICENSED companies (be careful, there are a few that claim to be licensed but are actually middle-men PCOs trying to make a quick buck...)

To address the post-fumigation loading of the truck: Nothing from the infested location should be loaded into the truck following the vikane gas fumigant treatment. Anything (and everything) from that location should and can be safely fumigated in a single treatment. As to the implied concerns that some bed bugs are still living/viable in/on the truck following the treatment, that is NOT the case. Vikane is 100% effective in killing all stages of bed bug life, including te hard-to-control egg stage. The only times that we have experienced an warranty calls from clients of these services is when infested items (such as clothes, childrens favorite toys/blankets, etc.) have benen purposely kept from the fumigated items and then immediately brought back into the old/new location without any other treatments being applied. THIS IS A BIG BIG BIG NO NO people!!!

Nobugsonme is correct that you should have a "clean" change of clothes to get into once you have loaded and left the infested location. I know that we offer to pre-treat up to 2 bags of clothing for our customers as they prepare for their move, you should check with any other service providers as well.

As to thermal/heat treatment of moving trucks, you are correct in that the same risks that apply to structural heat treatments and personal belongings apply here as well. If improperly inspected prior to treatment, a bed bug suffered might accidentally include something flammable, pressurized (hairspray, aerosol cans, etc.) or otherwise and cause an explosion/fire. Also there are many items that cannot withstand exposure to the thermal death rate of bed bugs (widely argued to be between 122 degree F and 130+ degrees F) such as computers, electronics, antiques, artwork, etc. Leaving any single item out of a treatment leaves a window/door open for re-infestation. We believe that thermal heat treatments are applicable and recommended for many items, but only Vikane is the 100% effective solution for 100% of your personal belongings, vehicles and structures. Thanks and good luck!

The poster is from a Co. working in the nyc area. If you are here in the tri-state area ( or wherever you are) and want to have your household goods treated by Thermal Remediation or Vikane gas get on the internet. Warning, be the smartest consumer that you can be. Due to fears/lack of knowledge /unnecessary shame /the fatigue and sense of hopelessness many of us go through when these suckers show up--just remember that Extermination--when your talking bbs-- its a cut-throat industry.

Chin up RW21, this too shall pass...
    Bedbugsuptown

7. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Oct 7 2011 10:37:41
    #

Login to Send PM

RW21,

Here's the bad news:

Moving without taking bed bugs with you is very difficult to do. Bed bugs and their eggs can be very small, so they can harbor in all kinds of tiny places.

Here's what might be good news:

I don't know what city you live in, but in many cities, tenants are not responsible for the costs of pest control; landlords are.

Here is the process I'd go through if I was in your position:

1. Read over the relevant FAQs on the site for more detailed information. There's a good one about how to avoid taking bugs with you when you move.

2. Contact the local tenants' rights organization in your city. Bed bug laws tend not to be nation-wide or state-wide, so much as city ordinances. Your local tenants' rights group ought to know what the local laws about your rights are.

3. If the landlord is responsible for paying for pet control in your city, decide whether or not you think that's a battle you can win. The downside of not being financially responsible for pest control is that you have no control over the quality of the PCO your landlord hires. Some landlords will do everything they can to avoid having to spend any money; others are supportive once they realize their obligation. None of us can tell you what camp your landlord will fall into, and even you won't know until you find out what the local laws are and confront your landlord with that information.

4. Treating all of your belongings in a moving truck (using either Vikane or heat) is an option that, if done properly, is your best bet for eliminating all bugs during a move. However, the treatment has to be done properly AND you have to scrupulously follow the procedures outlined in the FAQs about not spreading bugs. Those protocols are difficult and time-consuming, and the treatment of an entire moving truck's worth of belongings is not cheap. Depending on what your belongings are worth, it might be cheaper to get new stuff at the new place since many items can be heated. (The FAQs cover this in detail. Fabric items can be washed in hot and dried on hot for a long time. Many dry clean only or delicate items can survive a trip through the dryer *if they do into the dryer already dry*.)

If you must toss potentially infested items, there are certain protocols you need to follow to avoid having those items spread the bugs around the building. This is all covered in the FAQs.

The bad news is that if you're seeing bugs on the wall, it sounds like it's a pretty substantial infestation. If it's a substantial infestation, you have to be extra careful about de-bugging and de-egging your items.

I'm sorry you're in that spot to begin with. Bed bugs are a tough pest in many, many ways. That said, getting effective treatment the first time you treat is the best way to get rid of the bugs as quickly as possible and with the lowest overall costs.

8. bedbugsuptown

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Oct 7 2011 11:17:47
    #

Login to Send PM

well said buggyinsocal-- stick to the FAQS. Love your detail-oriented & orderly mind. just goes to show yall'--bbs don't discriminate.

9. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Oct 7 2011 13:10:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I just moved.

I tossed out a lot of stuff.

I only brought stuff I could heat treat. I even replaced my electronics or stored them.

I'm still not sure. I believe you can move bug free but you need to think through every step on both sides carefully.

Then you have to get lucky.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,427 posts in 49,259 topics over 152 months by 21,590 of 22,013 members. Latest: Ddukes, acidburn, metropest