Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Moving and throwing (almost) everything away - advice?

(6 posts)
  1. yellow

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Jul 10 2010 15:38:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm moving soon and I have a loose plan that I was hoping to get advice on. I will be moving in with a friend and I don't think I could handle the guilt if I brought bugs to her apartment. Right now I am staying at her house in the living room with a backpack of clothes that I ran through the dryer (which isn't located IN my apartment) before I came over. I coated items that I had to bring (just a phone, a wallet and a calculator) with rubbing alcohol. For the last few nights I've gotten eight hours of sleep for the first time in months and it feels so, so good. Here's my plan:

I intend to get rid of everything that I cannot run through a dryer. Items that seem too thick (blankets and winter coats) are getting thrown away too. Basically, the majority of my things are being tossed out, but there are some things that I want to keep that I can't put in a dryer: my books, a leather purse, a straw hat, about ten photos (they're old and I don't have digital copies), my laptop and my camera. That's it. Everything else is history. Friends who do not know what bedbugs are like think I am crazy for thinking the bugs could follow me after those precautions, but I know better.

How would you go about disinfecting the items I listed? I was thinking I might be able to get the leather purse professionally cleaned (I've never done this before - would it work?/who would I take it to?) and the hat is a straw hat that I can wipe totally down with rubbing alcohol. I might freeze the books and then seal them in one of those rubber maid containers and cover the seems with duct tape and let them sit for a year on top of freezing (just to be safe). I could do the same with the photos. That leaves the camera and laptop - should/can I freeze those? I've heard 48 hours does the trick and it did work for a friend of mine (but who knows if the stuff he froze was actually infested, just like I don't know if mine is). Does anyone have experience with this? Is there a better way?

And how about the clothing? I'm going to wash them and then dry them on high. I'm thinking I'll pay for two hours (is that necessary? Would you do fewer/more hours?)

So to break it down, I have a short list of things I want to keep: clothes, a purse and hat that can't go through the dryer, a small stack of old photos, a laptop, a camera, and a modest book collection. How do you suggest I rid these things of potential bugs/eggs before I move?

2. kirads09

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Jul 10 2010 19:30:18
    #

Login to Send PM

If you can get a packtite, that would work for everything non washable/dryable except the laptop and camera. They do not recommend that method for electronics.

3. amandadouglas

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 5 2010 14:37:41
    #

Login to Send PM

kirads09 - 3 months ago  » 
    If you can get a packtite, that would work for everything non washable/dryable except the laptop and camera. They do not recommend that method for electronics.

what is a packtile??

4. SearchandDestroy

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 5 2010 16:51:46
    #

Login to Send PM

A small canvas oven...find them at US Bedbugs. com

5. Zilver

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 10 2010 17:14:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Yellow //
    I wouldn´t be to sure about those 48 hours. I´ve seen different numbers, and also some different research or test-results being posted out on the web. Earlier research, and the FAQ here on bedbugger from 2007 mentions Potter that say 1-2 weeks, but I think then research was still not done that much on freezing as a method. But I´ve also seen newer research that mentions a few days, but then i think it´s maybe calculated from when all is frozen into the center, so everything is, say -20 to 25 C.

But I´m not sure at all. I´m a bit confused here as well...and I definitely have no clue if u can freeze a laptop or camera. But I´ve thought abput the same thing for my laptop.

Anyhow, you can check out my thread where I asked about freezing as treatment. It´s a long thread but It´s because I also wanted to mention what info I have comed across.

Still, I´m no expert. ! just so we avoid misunderstandings
    This is only my info I´ve looked up on the web...

But , then anyway, if u look at the info in that thread u see my point, it´s a big difference in some recommendations from the 48 hours you mention. Just think it would be bad if u throw a lot away and then fail on that

haven´t gotten much of replys in that thread so since we seem to both have an interest in freezing, please post a little comment saying you are happy for any info as well. May increase the chances for some reply from someone with better knowledge in this

6. Itchy Kat

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Aug 14 2014 21:46:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I moved into a house and within 4 months found bedbugs. Naturally my mom instinct kicked in. I packed kids up and sent to my moms. I purchased store type bombs and set off. Within two weeks my mom had bedbugs and I was twice as infested. I then called a pest control for an estimate. $1400 for a four bedroom home. I saw chemical they were treating with and got to work investigating. I first looked for chemical and saw I can purchase Temprid on line. I then saw what had to be done in order for the company to guarantee the treatment. They wanted everything moved out and all clothing, shoe, electronic equipment, everything bagged up and removed into garage. I did same. I purchased bedbug approved bed and box spring covers and sprayed temprid and sealed up. I washed pilows and tossed a few out. Placed them in pillow covers for bedbugs. All covers purchased at WalMart, not at a bedbug product dealer. I began spraying temprid ( I had to mix and product) and went to work. I SPRAYED EVERYTHING! In and out, furniture, Inside shows, took off face plates from outlets, bath, kitchen and garage included, and within 48 hrs I can say I haven't seen a sign of a living bedbug or any bug for that matter. Now I will continue treatment for next few months to ensure the nightmare is over. Sad part is we must do it again at my moms. Its labor intensive and expensive but way cheaper than price I was quoted from pest control company. My dogs not home yet as I have to get carpets steamed to kill eggs and clean any residue. According to Bayer the maker of Temprid its safe to put on mattresses and sleep on it in Four hours. You can't reuse trash bags once infected clothing has been I side. After washing place clothing in new bag & seal with tape. Keep a few changes handy during this time. Its very important to wash all items. I found bedbugs in my picture frames, my wedding album, candle holders, even in my damn car! Temprid was $60 online but worth every penny.

BTW....what I thought was mu hubbys old tennis shoes was discovered to be the smell of bed bug infestation.

Do not become discouraged, it can be done. A lot of work. Suggest to anyone who's trying to get rid of them to get it!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,975 posts in 49,594 topics over 153 months by 21,728 of 22,175 members. Latest: Scaredofbugzzzz, AVersicolor26626, nadialula