moving and need advice!

(14 posts)
  1. pegstitcher

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Mar 23 2012 8:32:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been reading and researching but I have some questions.

8 months ago I started getting welts. Went to the doctor and he said it was hives. He treated me for 2 months. I have searched for bedbugs but found nothing. Then one night, I woke up in the middle in of the night to find two bedbugs on the wall near my bed! I notified the landlord and they said, bb can be brought in, so they are not responsible. I called exterminator, cleaned, prepped, treated. Things were OK. Recently two neighbors moved. Bedbugs are back worse than ever! OK, this is a building problem. I'm breaking my lease and getting out of Dodge!

The beds, sofa, and recliner are trash for sure! I'm purchasing a Packtite to treat what I can. I will launder what I can.

I don't know what my options are for the following items:
    1. 46" flat screen TV
    2. wood dressers (that drawers are NOT removeable)
    3. my car!!!!!!
    4. desktop computers, gaming systems, small electronics (Packtite????)
    5. DVDs & CDS (Packtite?????)

I'm terrified! I want to make sure, I don't take any bb with me!

I'm traumatized. I have crying jags and depression! I can't take it anymore. I will never be the same!

And what about my cubical at work???? Do I need to worry that I brought some with me to my job????

Or am I just paranoid!

I forgot to mention, I have two cats! Do I need to treat them too before the move?
    And my 20gallon fish tank. What do I do about that?

2. pegstitcher

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Mar 26 2012 8:05:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm still reaching old forum posts. Finding some answers.

Looks like Hot Shot Pest strips are the answer to my electronics!

I still don't know what to do about my car.

I'm really leaning toward throwing most of my possessions away! I don't want to take them these things with me!

3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Mar 26 2012 8:29:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear pegs,

OK, let;s insert some common sense & level headed thinking here whilst putting the panic asside. {There's plenty of time for panic later : ) }

> Unless your items are beyond their useful life, they can be successfully remediated and it's possible to save your assets provided the proper methodologies are implemented correctly.

> It's Nuvan Prostrip. Do NOT use hot shot bombs under any circumstances.

> I'm not an attorney but from what you've indicated, I've seen folks break their lease under such circumstances. Where are you located? (State & City?)

> Your fish tank: If you could catch BBs and place them in the tank live I'm fairly certain that the fish would consider them a rare treat and you could amuse yourself using the fish to wreak your bloddy vengance as well. (Insert Dr. Evil laugh here.)

> Much of your stuff can be rendered bed bug free using a heat chamber treatment wherein all your stuff is placed within a heat chamber for treatment. If we know where you are, we may be able to tell you a company in your area that does this.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

4. pegstitcher

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Mar 26 2012 8:44:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry! I am panic stricken! I'm in suburbs of Chicago.

I told my LL six months ago about the BB. They said I could have brought them in and it's was my responsiblity. I called a major PC company. They came and confirmed it was BB. I couldn't afford the treatment. So, I bought a streamer and have been cleaning like a mad woman. They were under control. Recently two neighbors moved out. I'm being over ran by BB now.

I haven't confronted the LL yet. I'm waiting for the Tenants RIghts Union to get back to me.

I'm allergic to the bites. I can't take it anymore!

PS - I know not to bomb.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peggystitches/7017568987/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peggystitches/6871461676/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peggystitches/7017568739/

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Mar 26 2012 9:07:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Peg:

Picking up from Paul:

1. You said that your dresser drawers are not removable. I suspect that they are, but the method is not obvious. Do they slide on metal rails, by any chance (often, these have a little plastic or metal release tab)? If not, have you tried to pull them as far as they go, then tilt them upward?

2. Is your name "Peg Stitcher" or do friends know you by this nickname? We discourage non-professionals from disclosing their identities, as this can potentially cause problems with housing, employment of social life. If you don't want your identity revealed, please contact our admin user "NoBugsOnMe" via Private Message ->. http://bedbugger.com/forum/message.php?user=1

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  6. pegstitcher

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Mar 26 2012 9:25:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks.

Peg is a nickname that only my close friends and family call me. Stitcher is because I like to knit and crochet.

When I purchased the dressers, I told told they are not removeable. I've moved twice since I purchased them and haven't been able to figure out how to remove them.

7. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Mar 26 2012 9:58:45
    #

Login to Send PM

In a multiple dwelling, it's not logical for a landlord to "assume" that you brought in the bed bugs. In fact, in many cities and states, it's assumed that the landlord is responsible for the cost of treatment. Your local tenant advocacy and/or legal aid organization may be able to advise you. Your apartment is your landlord's asset. If he expects it to be viable, he needs to maintain it. If he believes that you are causing damage to it, he needs to take that up in a proper forum and prove it.

Unless very aggressive action is taken, its relatively easy to take along bed bugs to your new place. In that case, the landlord would be justified in saying that you brought them in.

>And what about my cubical at work???? Do I need to worry that I brought some with me to my job????

It's always "possible", but I would stay vigilant, but not freak out about it. People bring bed bugs to work, they take bed bugs from work. Cubicles and chairs get used by many people. Chairs get pulled into other cubes or conference rooms. Visitors may borrow your space for a few days while you're away. Maintenance crews might use your space overnight for impromptu meetings or to make calls. Well-maintained commercial spaces have (or should have) facilities managers who take care of things like this. (I worked in a large complex a few years back where it was known there were BB in places. I'd see the PCOs discreetly making the rounds. This didn't freak me out as much as reassure me that people in charge were managing things.) Note, however, that many people mistake various insects for bed bugs. A few months back, I noted a commotion a few cubes away, people were muttering "bed bug". I grabbed by spray bottle of liquid cleaner and walked over. Someone pointed to the source of their terror, a variegated carpet beetle, which I spritzed dead and reported to Facilities.

I would avoid discussing at work that you have bed bugs at home. Not all employers are reasonable or rational. If you see or suspect bed bugs in the office, try and discreetly report it, with no admission of your situation at home.

8. pegstitcher

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Mar 26 2012 10:28:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks.

I agree. From my research, I've learned that my LL has handled this situation wrong!

I'm looking into legal advice now. Tenents Rights Union has not gotten back to me yet. I'm getting annoyed. I've contacted a lawyer and waiting for them to get back to me.

This is a nightmare! Reading about others with BB has helped me calm down a little.

I honestly wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy!

9. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Mar 26 2012 11:36:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Peg:

Reading a little more into your original post regarding specifics:

Many items, like CDs and DVDs (and their cases) can just be inspected and bugs picked off.

If you suspect bed bugs at home, institute the protocols in our Travel FAQ to reduce the risk of spreading BB to friends, work and your car. Hopefully, none of these will require treatment.

10. pegstitcher

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Mar 26 2012 11:54:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks again.

Called a few more lawyers, still waiting for them to get back to me.

I have a PCO coming tomorrow for a new estimate and hopefully some free advice.

I was worried about the BB possibly getting into the sleeves of my DVDs. I have lots of them and some have been stored in the bedroom.

I'm getting a Packtite soon.

I'm pretty sure my car is infested. I knit and crochet and carry bags with my these items everywhere I go. I have now stopped doing that. I have no clue how to treat my car.

I have cut myself off from friends and family. I refuse to enter their homes. This is causing so much of my depression.

11. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Mar 26 2012 11:58:38
    #

Login to Send PM

> I was worried about the BB possibly getting into the sleeves of my DVDs. I have lots of them and some have been stored in the bedroom.

Don't. These are easy to inspect.

12. pegstitcher

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Mar 26 2012 12:19:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Ugh! I don't know who to believe. I just got off the phone with PCO. They are coming to inspect and give me written estimates.

They said heat treatment is better. The cost would be $1200 - $1500 for heat treatment.

My concerns is....OK I do the heat and then do I immediately pack up and get out? I'm pretty sure this is a building issue. I don't want them to leave for a short time and come back.

Who (PCO) should I contact in the Chicago area?

13. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Mar 26 2012 12:27:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Heat treatment (done right) is a very effective way to kill bugs. It requires cooperation from your landlord (it's his building you're baking, it's his property the equipment is being parked on). It also (in and of itself) won't protect you from bugs coming back from neighbors or from you reintroducing them. Heat techs sometimes add chemicals and dusts to the regimen as a backup.

If you are truly moving out and want a clean move to your new place (which you would hope is bug free and responsibly run), you can get your belongings fumigated with Vikane gas in the truck en-route.

I would not do heat treatment of the apartment if you're moving out.

14. pegstitcher

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Mar 26 2012 15:15:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Update:

I contacted Bed Bug and Beyond! I'm thinking Vikane on a moving truck is the best route! So, I'm waiting for quotes now.

Still waiting for someone to answer my Tenants Rights questions.

It amazes me! BB infestions are everywhere and it's so hard to find the right people to help you!

Thanks to everyone here! I would surely lose my mind, well what's left of it, if it wasn't for you guys!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,903 posts in 50,059 topics over 155 months by 21,883 of 22,370 members. Latest: Mary Borges, Pleasebegone2019, aims6186