Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Moving and going bonkers about what to do with stuff.

(3 posts)
  1. ThisTooShallTotallyPass

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Sep 28 2014 21:58:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I am moving in with a friend, and I want to come with nothing but one bag of clothing. However, there are those things that can't be disposed of, i.e. checkbooks, important documents..

I don't want to get rid of all of my shoes or to store them for years.

I am wary of getting rid of my laptop.

Packtites are so expensive, I don't know about getting one..

I am scared of those ddvp strips. Has anyone had luck with them? How do you use them properly in a garbage bag since there's nothing in the bag to hang them on? What about TVs?

I feel very sad about getting rid of so much stuff, but much of it isn't worth sealing in plastic for years. My important furniture--I'll seal it in plastic and put it in storage.

I am extremely grateful to be able to get out of my apartment, which has been an awful situation, but I am pretty overwhelmed about the rest of this stuff...

Thanks for listening.

2. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Sep 29 2014 10:11:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi ThisToo,

Below are some (non-expert/non-professional) thoughts I had upon reading your post:

ThisTooShallTotallyPass -  » 
    I am moving in with a friend, and I want to come with nothing but one bag of clothing. However, there are those things that can't be disposed of, i.e. checkbooks, important documents..

Your checkbook and important documents can be visually inspected to assure yourself that they are bed bug free. If you are not confident with your visual inspection abilities; alternatively, you can seal the important documents in plastic/zip loc bags for 18 months.

I don't want to get rid of all of my shoes or to store them for years.
    I am wary of getting rid of my laptop.
    Packtites are so expensive, I don't know about getting one..

It has been stated many times by the experts that participate here that there is no reason you have to get rid of your belongings. . . .

Yes, PackTites are pricey, but they offer great peace of mind and can be used for many years to come in (1) treating items when returning from traveling; (2) for treating everyday items if you ride public transit (or visit other "suspect" places); (3) for treating items if you don't have everyday access to a dryer; (4) for treating items that one doesn't want to, or can't be, put into the dryer (shoes).

Regarding your shoes and you not wanting to store them for years: You can inspect your shoes using a blow dryer for detection purposes (this has been discussed several times in several different threads) or you could buy a PackTite and treat your shoes. Do you have a dryer in your apartment? I ask because a lot of dryers nowadays have a "shelf" that goes into the dryer that you can place items on so that they don't tumble around. I ordered one just two weeks ago and used it last night for the first time . . . I put three pairs of shoes and two backpacks on it. . . it was really cool!

I am scared of those ddvp strips. Has anyone had luck with them? How do you use them properly in a garbage bag since there's nothing in the bag to hang them on?

I have never used the ddvp strips. However, it has been stated that if you are going to treat items using pest strips, it might be better to use plastic bin type storage boxes instead of garbage bags because the garbage bags might "collapse" and not allow the vapors to circulate. You would tape the strip to the inside of the lid of the bin and you would need to use some sort of tape to seal the bins to make them air tight. You would need to be careful not to "overload" the plastic bin as to allow the vapors to circulate. If you wanted to be extra cautious, you could then put the bin inside of a plastic garbage bag. There are many, many threads that discuss how to use pest strips properly on here.

Here is one thread that has the pest strip fundamentals:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/pest-strip-fundamentals

Additionally, here is a thread that discusses some of the concerns of failure of the strips . . .you might want to read both (and as I stated, there are many, many more):

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/no-pest-strips

ThisTooShallTotallyPass - 10 hours ago  » 
    What about TVs?

It has been stated many times that TVs and electronics are not a typical harborage area for bed bugs unless you have a very large infestation (or if you sleep with your lap top on your bed, etc.). If you are concerned about your TV (and I understand you wanting to be 100% sure you do not bring any bed bugs with you), there are several things you could do to check and/or treat your TV. Use the search engine up in the upper right-hand corner and search for either "how to treat electronics" or "how to treat TV" sort of things!

I feel very sad about getting rid of so much stuff, but much of it isn't worth sealing in plastic for years. My important furniture--I'll seal it in plastic and put it in storage.

Again, it has been stated by the experts that you should not have to get rid of your belongings and just about everything can be inspected/treated/and rendered bed bug free!

I am extremely grateful to be able to get out of my apartment, which has been an awful situation, but I am pretty overwhelmed about the rest of this stuff...

Let's just take it one day and one thing at a time! Good luck with your move . . . and remember . . . the search engine is your friend! It will give you all kinds of information/answers!

But, seriously, if you have more questions . . . let us know!

3. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Sep 29 2014 10:20:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi again,

Additionally, here are a couple of threads which discuss how to move without bringing bed bugs along:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/how-to-move-without-bringing-the-bugs-along

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/moving-without-bringing-bed-bugs-to-your-new-place

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,942 posts in 49,856 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19