Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Moving & Found BB in Current Apt.

(3 posts)
  1. LeeRoss

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu May 10 2012 0:02:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you in advance for your help!

I live in Seattle, in a neighborhood that has had a problem with bed bugs. I discovered bed bugs in my apartment last week. The more unfortunate problem is that, I will be moving out entirely by the end of the month (20 days), and I need help figuring out what to do with my belongings, given it can take several months to eradicate the infestation.

My building manager is dealing with the issue. The bed is infested but no bugs were found in anything but the bed and bedding. The operations manager is apparently an exterminator and they use "proven and effective" (their words) techniques: wipe surfaces and floors with rubbing alcohol, spray(1st time spray-Steri-Fab, continued spray-Phantom) every week for 2 months, place traps (HD supplies-Stick-Em) in the unit--traps have been placed along baseboard in bedroom and along door jam to front door of the apartment.

They treated and bagged the infested bedding. They have advised me to wash in hot water and dry in high heat anything and everything that can sustain that kind of wash and then bag it "for a while." They have also agreed to treat shoes and then bag them, "for a while." If I wash the treated bedding in hot water and dry in high heat, then re-bag and move it out, is it safe to put in the new apartment. Also, are the other treated and/washed items safe to move if they are bagged immediately after treatment/wash?

What about clothes that can not go through a hot cycle? If I steam & bag them, will they be safe? Is the recommendation to keep treated items in the bag "for a while" so the bugs that may still be in the apartment don't get back in? Or is it possible there may still be bugs in the bag? Can I take treated and bagged items into my new apartment and open the bags?

What about my cameras (I am a photographer and artist), TV, computer, printer/scanner and files/paperwork? What about all my artwork that is either in boxes or on the walls--photos, paper, paintings on canvas and wood? Also, what about kitchen items? How can I treat them and safely move them?

What else can I do to ensure that the items I will be moving from the apartment are bed bug free? How will I know for sure that they are gone?

I am pleased that the building manager is dealing with the issue, but I am upset that they did not disclose the fact that there had been an infestation (and reinfestation) in the apartment next to mine. I would have liked to have attempted to prevent the infestation, but I was not given that option. I met with a lawyer today who advised me in terms of communicating my intent to terminate my tenancy. I may have to sue for damages in small claims court, but for now I am intent on moving bed bug free!

2. esperanza

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu May 10 2012 1:38:54
    #

Login to Send PM

You might have the option of having a moving truck treated with heat or Vikane -- I'm not sure if either of these services is offered in your city, but it might be worth looking into it.

3. mindoverbbs

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu May 10 2012 9:56:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I believe Paratex in Seattle has a fumigation chamber. Their web site doesn't call out Vikane specifically, nor do they reference bedbugs in this context, but I'm guessing that's what it is. Might be worth a call.

Paratex.com/fumigation

I have no idea what the cost is, but it certainly seems like a good option given your art work and supplies.

Curious, are you in cap hill? (don't answer if you're not comfortable revealing your location)

Good luck to you. I'm so sorry you're going through this.

-mindoverbbs

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,690 posts in 49,530 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982