Moving again here is my plan

(11 posts)
  1. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat May 19 2012 3:25:57
    #

Login to Send PM

OK so I've been fighting the BBs for 7 months, read my intro post for my sad story.

I'll be moving again in 6 weeks. My place was just sprayed with a residual pesticide, they will come back twice before I leave at 2 weeks interval.

I'm throwing away (again) my bed (new), my couch (new), plus a lot of furniture.

I got a packtite, closet version. I plan to put everything I can fit in it and bake it, I'll chance the electronics (I'll remove batteries however).

I'm doing all of this by myself and I'm handicapped, I'm also extremely weak from dealing with this for so long. So this will take me a looooong time to do...

Here is a silly logistical question, if I start now and let's say I treat a pile of book in the Packtite, and let's say I put those in a plastic bag, how do I go about boxing things? Having a pile of empty cardboard boxes is just asking the bugs to hitch a ride in them since they'll be in my place for a good 4-6 weeks

I was thinking, I treat in the packtite, I put in a plastic bag, I put in a box, I but the box in a plastic bag. On moving day, as the box are emptied from the truck I remove the bags (the movers will love me). The bags are there only to prevent the boxes from being contaminated while they sit around in my house. I have to move everything in one day

any ideas? I can't afford to buy a 100 plastic boxes

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  2. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat May 19 2012 3:27:48
    #

Login to Send PM

sorry I forgot to add, Vikane is not available where I live

3. brooklyn_bites

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 20 2012 8:00:18
    #

Login to Send PM

endless,

Do you have a PCO? I would work closely with one to be sure I'm clear, rather than just Packtiting things. Have you thought about heat chambers? They are a decent solution as well, in the absence of Vikane gas (though will cost more than just Packtiting).

4. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 22 2012 3:08:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Brooklyn, thanks for responding, I was starting to think I would not get any feedback, it seems looking at the boards that moving is a big topic right now

I do have a PCO, this is my 7th PCO, I've had 4 heat treatments here that didn't work, I've had two pesticide treatment that did not work, this new guy seeems more knowledgable than the other people and he uses another type of residual. Since I've absolutely tried everything (short of throwing everything away) I figured the packtite was a good idea. I was baking books in it all weekends and I must say watching that temp hit 130 and then removing the still hot books and putting them in ziplocks, gave me some peace of mind.

I figure the packtite PLUS the PCO, who will come twice again before I move is my best bet this time.

My BB problem cost me a crapload of money, but I would put myself even deeper in debt to get vikane, just to stop from getting bitten, getting those awful bad sleep nights with no rest for 7 months without a break

I don't think heat chambers are available here in Montreal. What you do get here is a majority of rip off artists with heat treatment that DO NOT work and scammers and terrible PCO's, hence the long drawn out problem, many many people in this city are in a similar situation.

thanks again for your input

5. MikeFlav

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 22 2012 10:02:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I posted this on another thread but will do it again here. I had to go through a similar situation and was forced to move because of BBs.

There were many steps I followed to prepare and make absolutely sure I did not bring them with me.

The most important thing I did though is heat treated my POD unit when it was packed with all my furniture and stuff. I had to pack and organize things in the POD to a "T". I packed all items in crates (the ones with the big holes all over) instead to bins or boxes to ensure heat could easily get to everything. They heat treated one POD unit for about half the day. POD units turn into ovens during the heat treatment process, so everything bakes really good in there. There's no walls, no crawl spaces, no where for them to go. However, as I said, you have to really prepare for this because you have to pack things in a way where heat can get to every item in your POD. You don't want to take any chances! The treatment costed me $350 because Orkin considered it the size of a room. It's a pretty good deal considering. best of luck to you.

6. Buggybumpers

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 22 2012 11:10:33
    #

Login to Send PM

You mentioned needing 100 boxes. That may be your problem right there--and why your first move was not a success. The less you take with you the better! And you do need plastic boxes or bins for what you do take. When I moved close to a year ago I bit the bullet. I got rid of a LOT of things that were even precious to me like my books. I took less than 10 plastic bins. As for the few books and CDs I kept, they are still not unpacked, waiting in their bins. I never did get a new chest of drawers and am still living out of a large Roughneck bin as far as my clothes are concerned. I got rid of all the ones I seldom wore. You should cut down, lighten your load and minimize the risk of transporting the bugs. How much do you plan to cook in that Packtite? Surely you can live without some of that stuff. Obviously keeping it is costing you money in having to move, replace furniture again, because you are bringing the infestation with you.

7. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 22 2012 20:57:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi MikeFlav, is this POD treatment from Orkin available in Canada? I'm in Montreal

Buggy, you are right, the less I take the better my chances. A week ago I was completely covered in bites, I was thinking to thrash everything, then I decided I would keep a few things

I figure whatever I bake in the packtite should be okay to take, I'll start with the things I want to keep the most, then if I run out of time or energy (wait I'm already out of energy) anyway what's leftover I'll just thrash

thank you both for your input

8. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 7 2012 20:51:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello Guys

So I moved....

It was extremely brutal this time. I prepared, for about 6 weeks, every single day I was treating every single thing I own in the closet packtite, I bought about a thousand dollars worth of plastic bins, ziplocks, bags. I did not use cardboard this time as I wanted to make absolutely sure I would not bring them, because this would mean a second move in the space of 6 months, that I would bring the bugs with me

I was crazy careful, monitoring the temp on the packtite, then whatever was in it was placed in a large ziplock, the ziplocks would go in a plastic bin, and the bin would go in a plastic bag.
    6 months of this, 16 hours a day, day in, day out.

I threw out (again) everything I owned in my bedroom, got rid of all large furniture, got rid of some electronics, half my clothes, my couch, ect ect.

I arrived at my new place last saturday freshly showered, wearing new clothes, someone else at my contaminated place greated the movers, before they loaded each bin, the plastic bag on it was removed (the bag was there to protect the bins)

I had ordered a treatment from a PCO on top of it, so he would come, right before I laid anything down, but he could only come on the Wednesday.

On sunday morning I woke up itchy, I attibuted it to old bites or PTSD from having them for 8 months, Saw a bunch of those black pepper specks on the sheets, didn't think much of it, as this stuff is not a sing of BB's for sure

The week passed I was itchy all week, kept checking my bed for signs, nothing, except the black specks that can be blown away

The PCO came on Wednesday, he sprayed the baseboards with Demand, I told him what I did for that move and he was pretty certain that it was impossible I brought them with me again...

Kept feeeling itchy in the morning, had what I thought was new bites but could not tell for sure between old or new ones. Really a basketcase over here. Then yesterday night I had an especially bad night, I checked my sheets carefully and there they were, blood spots about 5 of them.....

So here I am freaking out, I spent every dime I own trying to fight this, in 8 months I had 14 treatments in 3 different places, I moved twice in 6 months, I threw away so many things I owned.

My physical health is gone from exhaustion and the lack of sleep and stress....My life is completely destroyed and emptied my bank account...

I gave everything I had to fight this and when I had nothing left I gave some more. It has now got to the point where I cannot function anymore, I cannot eat or do basic things. I have no family, and only one person is helping me with this (they are getting burned out also)

I'm desperate, I'm thinking of checking myself in a mental heath facility to at least get a bit of rest there....

Anyone any advice, please

What should I do, my stuff is mostly still in my boxes

Could small blood stains on sheet be from anything else??? I will call the K9 on monday, if this is a positive there is no way in hell I'm starting from scratch to fight this again

help

9. Doglady

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 8 2012 1:09:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I am newer to this nightmare so can give you limited advise and others here can give you more. Firstly let us hope they are not bbs and the experts here will advise you not to jump to conclusions (that was their advice to me). I think you can buy testing kits to test what you found on the sheets, click on the resources button up top for information on where to buy. I haven't seen a pco offer to use one so maybe is not necessary if you are going to call the pco anyway.

Alternatively just call your pco on Monday and ask if they provide that test or if they can come inspect your evidence, with or without a dog. If you just had a spray ? then the dog cannot come for 2 weeks after the spray so you may have to rely on your evidence and the pco's opinion/test for now until the dog comes (unless the pco wants to go ahead and treat based on what he sees). I know this is more money but try to work out a payment plan with the pco and the landlord. Maybe the landlord can pay (he can use the sec dep if he says he has no money either) and you can reimburse it over some months when you pay the rent. The important thing is if your apt needs treated then so be it.

I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I had to move out of my apt, stuff in storage, bank account drained and I'm like - what the hell just happened to me. After all the above, I now have bites in the new apt and am devastated. There will be no more moving I can't afford it so will have to stand here and fight. I would say you should stay put also and if you have bbs just keep treating them, treat your stuff etc. eventually you will win. I think moving just complicates the situation unless the place is unlivable and you really have to move. After all your precautions you must have a mild situation because you are right on it.

People underestimate the stress of this situation especially if you are trying to go to work and act like nothing is wrong, and can't confide in anyone. Try a counselor (licensed psychologist, psychotherapist) even if you have to pay for it for 1 session and see what they recommend for anxiety and coping. Maybe find a counselor that does phone sessions - some will do at least the first session on the phone to see if you are compatible - so you don't have the stress of worrying about taking anything to their office, and they'll appreciate it too. Work out a payment plan with them too - and there's no need to sign up for weekly sessions. You can do one next week and then once a month, or as needed. Make that call directly after you call your pco on Monday so you are looking after your apartment and your own mental health - they are equally important.

Maybe it is a false alarm. If not, then you will have a counselor in place (which is a good idea anyway after all you've been thru) and a pco decision on what action to take. I hope some of the above is helpful.

10. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 8 2012 9:21:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm gonna second what Dog Lady is saying.

Take care of yourself. It sounds like you've been through an ordeal. I moved myself and it's not fun. To do it twice? I'm sorry that sounds like it's been awful for you.

It takes time to know. Right now, all you have is a reason to prick up your ears and look around. You already had that with the move. So nothing has changed. Blood spots could be indicative of something or could mean that you scraped yourself while you slept.

Please take care of yourself and step away from the past a bit. Maybe go see a movie. Do something fun for yourself now.

11. Doglady

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 8 2012 9:42:16
    #

Login to Send PM

En I've found out about the Bed bug blue testing kits on US Bedbugs site - there's links on this page. They cost about $30 plus shipping. You would have them probably this week if you order today. They look pretty easy to use and the result would be right there for you.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,305 posts in 50,167 topics over 155 months by 21,928 of 22,425 members. Latest: xterra888, MaryPoppinsYall, nomorecreepycrawlies