(8 posts)
  1. littlee174

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 18 2015 15:50:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Please help!!

About 4 days ago I found out I have bed bugs. I am also scheduled to move out of my apartment in 12 days to move abroad for a year. This could not be the worst timing! I have already washed and dried all of my clothing and my mom took everything except one bag to her house. I plan to wash all of my clothes again before getting into my car to move.

I think the infestation is small (I hope) and I do not believe my roommates have experienced any signs. That being said, I will find out the extent of the infestation when the exterminator does an inspection/chemical treatment tomorrow.

I am freaking out because I know it usually takes more than one chemical treatment to kill the f@ckers, but I need to move out now. I feel like the only way to avoid bringing them with me to storage (parents house) and abroad, is to dispose of my mattress/box spring. Luckily, I have no other furniture I need to bring. but I need help dealing with the following:

1) I am paranoid my laptop/electronics are contaminated as I used them in bed/next to my bed all the time. How do I treat them? I am nervous about using DDVP.

2) I have books I want to save and no Packtite. I might just secure them in plastic bags/containers for 18 months.

3) luggage and backpacks: I have a nice backpacking back pack that will probably get ruined if I put it in the dryer. Would the dryer even be strong enough to penetrate the foam? My clothes have been in here recently, so I may just discard it as well. Same with a suitcase.

Please help me leave these bed bugs behind...

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 19 2015 8:54:37
    #

Login to Send PM

What about soaking the backpack in hot water with bleach? You could seal the books in a plastic bin with a Hot Shot pest strip or a Nuvan strip.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 19 2015 9:26:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Suggestions for your consideration:

a. Backpack treatment:
    * inspect items carefully.
    * treatment options include vacuum, steam, contact insecticides, hot water (notecthey used boiling water in the "old days"), dry heat, enclosed space & pest strips.
    * DO NOT use bleach as this will damage materials & surfaces contacted.

Let me know if any additional questions or concerns.

pjb

4. littlee174

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 19 2015 13:15:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your reply pjb.

It turns out I have a pretty bad infestation and it has spread throughout the apartment...FML. I believe the only thing the exterminator did was spray the apartment (no vacuuming or heat treatment).

I am going to dispose of almost everything and only bring my clothes, jewelry and electronics.

If I wash my jewelry/ toiletries/medication in soapy water and then bag them, would that be sufficient?

I have discovered a product called Cirkil/Proof which can be used for "rag in a bag" with non dryable items. I plan to put my electronics into rag in a bag for 5 days. Do you have any experience with this?

I will be sealing up the books in storage for 18 months.

Please, any other advice would be helpful. I already had a panic attack today and wondering if I should toss my dreams of moving abroad aside and staying until this is resolved. I don't want to do that, but I also don't want to bring bbs with me.

Thanks,
    E

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 19 2015 15:58:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not an expert, but I can direct you to some previous discussions:

You can read earlier discussions of Cirkil "Rag in a bag" here:
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/tags/cirkil

My understanding is Rag in a Bag isn't designed to be done with Proof, just Cirkil (they are different strengths).
    Corrected: both Cirkil and Proof are the same strength. Note I have now added a section on this to Useful Tools, in the absence of a FAQ on it. You'll find the protocol linked there.

The main concern expressed here by experts seems to be lingering odor.

You can read earlier discussions of DDVP pest strips here:
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/tags/ddvp

Or, look at P Bello's profile (he posted above)-- Paul's involved with Nuvan, and so is an expert on DDVP:
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/profile/p-bello

Many of Paul's posts listed in his profile will deal with DDVP (sold as Nuvan Prostrips in the US outside of NY and CT, where you can get Hot Shot Pest Strips). The fact that Paul knows his DDVP and has offered to answer questions about it here would lead me to consider this method carefully.

Be careful with storing things if you choose that route (make sure sealed in an airtight manner). It sounds like you're thinking along the right lines and can get through this.

Also, washing jewelry may cause damage. Perhaps a pest strip method would be better. Careful visual inspection should work for many things. Know what you're looking for!

Washing medicine bottles isn't recommended, and pest strips or Cirkil don't seem like a safe idea there. Pill bottles should be safe inside. Inspect inside any cardboard medicine boxes, remove clutter like packaging instructions and cotton. Check outsides of bottles carefully also.

Moving abroad is totally a fantastic experience, in my opinion. I would not abandon your plan! Don't let the bed bugs win.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 19 2015 17:44:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Corrected my response above:
    Both Cirkil and Proof are the same strength. Note I have now added a section on this to Useful Tools, with links and sources, in the absence of a FAQ on it. You'll find the protocol linked there.

My confusion stemmed from the fact that the company was originally only publishing a protocol for "Rag in a Bag" with Cirkil but this has been corrected. It's now on the consumer and pro product pages.

(Note this is not a recommendation. I am not a pro and have not tried this method.)

7. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 19 2015 18:04:45
    #

Login to Send PM

NB:

The main concern expressed here (about Rag-in-the Bag) by experts seems to be lingering odor.

This should not be a concern with non-porous items like the electronics you want to treat. Amazon is a good source for Cirkil. Several videos online how to use it, plus of course, check out our Useful Tools section.

Richard

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 19 2015 18:09:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard56 - 3 minutes ago  » 

This should not be a concern with non-porous items like the electronics you want to treat.... Several videos online how to use it, plus of course, check out our Useful Tools section.

The Dini Miller video and Cirkil protocols are now linked there too.

I think someone might consider odor an issue for jewelry.
    YMMV!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

282,510 posts in 47,004 topics over 143 months by 20,744 of 21,019 members. Latest: Ohnoihopenot, bedbugnitemare, C333