Moving

(2 posts)
  1. Jen27

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Sep 26 2011 14:57:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello, so I am moving... I've been SUPER careful but mentally just can't stay in my apartment (the exterminator came twice... haven't seen anymore bugs, but did see what i thought MIGHT be an egg).

I have been staying with my boyfriend, despite the recommendation not to do that... but i have had no bites and neither has he or his roommate (and it's been about a month) ... and we inspected and have seen nothing in his apartment (I also am very careful about leaving my apartment and brought almost nothing over his)

My main question is... I am putting the majority of my belongings (no furniture, that's being thrown) into storage for 18+ months. Is it possible for bed bugs to live longer than 18 months? should i leave everything in there longer? What happens if a bag splits and i don't know it? (that question is me being paranoid lol). Can they travel on plastic? Also, I was just going to put my guitar in it's plastic case in the storage unit not wrapped... is that ok?

Thanks!

2. OhNoes

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Sep 26 2011 17:33:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Jen,

My understanding is that the 18 month rule has to do with a study where an adult bedbug was tested under "ideal" circumstances (temperature, humidity, etc). If anything is in your guitar or other items that are not "secured", as in sealed in a bag with no exit, it is possible for the BBs to take a field trip to see where else they may be able to find food. What does this mean... well, they will have to luck out and hope that they get in some item that is removed from storage and brought to a home. But, that is your risk, that they migrate into some's storage unit and hitch a ride home with them.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,432 posts in 50,192 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams