Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Moving & shady brokers - NYC

(7 posts)
  1. losingit

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jan 30 2009 14:54:11
    #

Login to Send PM

When I moved over a year ago from my own bb hell-hole I did a bit of PI-type investigating for a new apt, I visited this one bldg and staked it out in a manner of speaking:) When I saw someone coming out I 'casually-by-accident' just asked what kind of place it was, how are the mgmt, that sort of thing. I was nice, polite etc and the few people I spoke to were quite friendly. I didn't mention bugs, even if I had I don't know how many would have admitted if they had a problem.

Anyway, maybe in New York there's more awareness and people might be willing to tell you if a place is ok or not. I don't think many places will or are free of them, esp in a apt bldg, all you can do is try for a place that has a good pest contol plan.

Having said that my bldg is none too sharp on that score - the pcos don't show up or cancel at the last minute. I also sealed up my entire apt soon after I moved in and I feel a little more secure (emphasis on the little)...

2. wirehead

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jan 30 2009 15:22:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Clearly we should just start a Bedbugger enclave in NYC... if we all moved in to the same building, so that everyone in the building was educated and aware and proactive about it... THEN we might stand a chance. LOL.

Honestly, though, there's only so much you can do. When you check out an apt, keep your eyes open for telltale signs like discarded mattresses and furniture. Ask the landlord (NOT the broker) point-blank whether there's ever been a problem, and find out what procedures they have in place, maybe find out what PCO they use and call them up to check on their methods. And of course like losingit said, you can caulk the heck out of the place as soon as you move in, which would help keep them from coming over if any of your neighbors have 'em.

I guess it might also help to look at smaller buildings... I'm thinking those five or six apt brownstones would be a lot less likely to have them than the bigger buildings. And a newer building is probably better than an older one, since it would have fewer cracks and crevices.

However, I'm really beginning to feel like, at least in New York, it's not IF but WHEN. Instead of trying to establish that the building has never had bugs, try to get a feel for how well the landlord would deal with it if (when) they do show up.

3. BrooklynNurse

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jan 30 2009 16:38:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Lol Wirehead, I was thinking about the same thing, a bed bug enclave for every bed bug survivor. That building would be bed bug free cause everyone would be traumatized and educated about it.

4. joalro

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jan 30 2009 17:05:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I would move from Toronto to live with you guys if I could. LOL At least we could all talk about it and not feel like anyone would judge or that a tenat is hiding it instead of coming forward!

5. BuggedBiologist

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jan 30 2009 17:18:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I want to beat up tenants who hide their infestations. Grrrrrr! Some of them were recently discovered in my building when the management company arranged for all apartments to be inspected. Tomorrow is the day for the PCO to do his magic for these people. I just tell myself maybe they have not been reacting to the bites...who could live with these beasts otherwise?

6. MyWorstFear

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jan 30 2009 17:47:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Sojo, I understand that you wouldn't want your friends to see your building on the bed bug registry, but OTOH if you won't post your building there, how can you expect other people to post their buildings on there so that you'll know not to move to those buildings? You're one of us, one of the good guys! You know better and more than most people out there. If you're in a coop or condo, I realize this can make it very difficult for people to be able to sell their apartments. If you're in a rental building in NYC it's up to the landlord to pay for the treatments. IMHO listing them on the bed bug registry could pressure the landlords to be more active in hiring competent pco's to do the job correctly. So everyone wins in this situation. BTW, I recall reading that the fine for lying about a building having or ever having bed bugs was so pathetically small, that it was far cheaper to lie than to tell the truth. That is one law that ought to be punishable by $100,000.00 and not $500.00.

7. joalro

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jan 30 2009 17:49:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I wish you lots of luck Sojo. I think even if you asked the property managers when you're viewing they'd probably lie to you because they'd be loosing a potential tenat. I like your idea of having them sign something of having no history in the past.

My propery manager acted ASAP! We told her about it last Wednesday and she pulled out prep sheets for us right away and made an appointment. What I found weird is that she said they were already coming Monday morning to do preventitive work and that they're hear often just doing general checking. So she booked us in for that Monday morning. She then said that the tenats above, below, beside and across would get treated but not in th same way as us. We live 1hr north of Toronto and my hubby recently started working in the city so she made us feel like he brought them in because Toronto is pretty infested. But I'm wondering if they're in the actual building. Especially since on the weekend I found out that the apartment below us isn't getting treated afterall. I wonder if they refused?

I just can't wait for all of this to be over with and then move. Although, I'm scared of bring 1 with me in the things that I have packed up sitting on my balcony.
    So scary!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,657 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982