Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Moved, Vikaned, Bites on Baby!!! NEED ADVICE, PLEASE!

(11 posts)
  1. crazybugkilla

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 23:00:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I'll try to make this brief. About six months ago, my upstairs neighbors in my old apt building in NYC had bb's. We called a PCO who treated the whole building just in case. The exterminators did not find anything in our apartment. We did the whole run to the dryers, live out of bags thing for the duration of time we were told to (I believe 6 weeks). We also bagged our mattresses. Neither me, my husband, nor my infant daughter had bites at that point in time. The summer went by and we relaxed a little.

About a month and a half ago, I had a couple mosquito-looking bites on my extremities, with no discernable pattern. I was concerned but not overly so. Then one morning my daughter woke up and when I unzipped her pajamas, I found her stomach to be covered in bites many of which were in clusters and rows of 2 and 3. I freaked out, called in sick and called a BB dog. They came and the dog alerted in the bedroom where we all slept at the time. The dog did not alert elsewhere. We already knew we were moving at that point so the original PCO came back and treated the bedroom. No more bites. We stayed 3 weeks then we had all our belongings except food and a few items we inspected VERY closely Vikaned. We also left behind most of our furniture and ordered all new stuff. The guarantee for the Vikane company (we used Bed Bugs and Beyond) required us to get the dog back to the new apartment before we moved in, but our time constraints didn't allow for that and we realized that we wouldn't really be able to do Vikane again anyway b/c the movers are prohibitively expensive and we wouldn't have the time. So we didn't do it.

We have been in the new apartment about a month and we have noticed isolated red splotches on my daughter's belly and extremities every so often. Never a pattern so I just chalked this up to baby skin (albeit with a growing sense of dread). This evening after her bath I noticed a pattern of three bites on my daughter's belly. I about died. They had not been there at 5:30 when I last changed her. My husband and I are biteless for what it's worth.

Here are my questions:
    1. What should my next course of action be? Should I get another dog in here to inspect? Does anyone have a company in NYC that they recommend for canine inspection? Also a PCO recommendation?
    2. I have never seen a bug and to my knowledge neither did the PCO that treated my old apartment. Does this mean anything?
    3. Is it possible that it's something else besides bb's? What else could be doing this?
    4. Is it possible that something bit her outside my apartment? Tonight we went to the supermarket and she sat in the cart. Could it have happened there??
    5. How am I supposed to maintain my sanity? (This is not a serious question but I do feel like vomiting)

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 23:13:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Bites as you know are not definitive for bed bugs. You could just do your own inspection and install some passive monitors like ClimbUPs or BBAlert Passive. But given your past situation and that a baby is involved I do understand wanting to bring someone in to take a look and give guidance. We have a PCO who posts here under the name of KillerQueen. You could PM him or call him directly here: http://www.yelp.com/biz/boot-a-pest-inc-west-hempstead
    Among other things, what I like about him is that he puts a lot of emphasis on the inspection and that is what you really need right now. I'm sure there are other good PCO's in NYC but many seem to skip the inspection part and just go in and treat -- or they bring in dogs that have their own set of problems in that many dog handlers simply do not take the time and trouble to confirm positive hits properly but I'm sure there are exceptions. Good luck!

Richard

3. Beth

account closed

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 23:55:20
    #

Login to Send PM

My vikane also failed. I am sorry you are going through this. A warranty would *possibly* save your stuff, although with how vikane fails it seems pretty often at people who use certain companies, I think the warranty isn't even worth it...a new dwelling is infested, no? Possibly. Another one could become so if it fails a second time.

You know the drill. These things are a plague. I'm really sorry.

peace-
    Amy

4. soscared

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Nov 28 2010 0:17:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I went through a bed bug scare last year with a baby. I say "scare" bc ultimately, I am not sure what happened. We never saw bugs, cast skins, or fecal. Nonetheless, we had treatments bc we thought the baby had bites. We had multiple positive, and then negative, dog inspections. In retrospect, I think we did have a bug or two that we had picked up on a trip, but I think throwing out our couch got rid of them. I don't mean to blame the company who treated us, I think they were very good. My main point, and my advice to you is, DO NOT FREAK OUT. as hard as that is, and I know it's hard - i cried for a couple of weeks and lost many pounds, the main thing is to keep your bearings. Even if you DO have bed bugs, there is no reason to panic. Careful regular inspections will reveal the truth. Get some monitors (passive BBAlert), check your sheets, mattresses, and box springs for the indicators of bed bugs, and know that if you have them, you will know soon enough. I know it's hard to relax when you think you MIGHT have them, but you have to. Otherwise, you might wind up living an unnecessary nightmare and exposing yourself (and baby) to chemicals.

5. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Nov 28 2010 0:19:33
    #

Login to Send PM

For what its worth, I have recommended tons of people to use fumigation (those who have confirmed bugs) who were about to move with bed bugs ... and not one person that I know of has had a problem after the treatment. When its something other then bed bugs ... the problem will still be there no matter what treatment you get .. or how much money you spend.

The bite areas you are talking about sound like this could be something else. Are these PJ's completely zipped up ? A dog "hit" without the confirmation of a live or dead bug, fecal traces, or cask skins means nothing and only a human can provide the evidence in the area of question. A dog hit needs visual inspection to ensure its correct.

I'm getting the feeling you never had a bed bug problem as many people learn the hard way when they treat without evidence. I have new moms (even vet's) questioning the skin reactions on their kids all the time. First thing I ask a mother when they tell me "my six month old has bites" is are you a new mom? I can help give you some inspection tips if need be. Just let me know.

Best, KQ

6. soscared

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Nov 28 2010 0:20:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Also - sure, do bring in a dog. BUT - make SURE they back up any positive hit with a visual inspection. If they tell you they can't do it - do not hire them. If the dog hits and they search and search but find nothing - you have to remain vigilant and keep looking. i.e. give it a couple of weeks and look again and again. They are not microscopic. If they are there, you will know soon enough, and that will be BEFORE they are all everywhere.

7. crazybugkilla

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Nov 28 2010 1:02:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone for the sympathy and advice. I hope to be able to keep food down again by tomorrow.

So to answer questions:

Richard: I had climb ups in my old apt on my bed and the baby's, we never caught anything. But my old PCO said climb ups may not really work and my neighbors who had them and were actually catching bugs on their pillows never had a single bug in their climb ups either. Does the BB Alert Passive stuff actually work? I had never even heard of this stuff until tonight and after the hell we've been through already, I fully thought I was an expert!

Soscared: this is a mother's worst nightmare, isn't it? If I lose a couple pounds so be it but it just makes me feel like a child abuser knowing that something is eating my baby alive!!!! Thanks for the words of wisdom. I will try not to freak out. You also like these monitors?

KillerQueen: I messaged you. Yes the pj's were zipped. But today the bites showed up when she wasn't wearing pj's, just pants and a shirt...

8. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Nov 28 2010 1:08:42
    #

Login to Send PM

if I was a bed bug .. i would never climb down into a clim up if I was already on the bed. The bed has to be set-up correctly and already free of bugs for them to work.

Will talk tomorrow .... Just try and remain calm. I'll be willing to bet you never had a problem .. and don't now.

9. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Nov 28 2010 11:49:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Killer Queen, nominated for "Justice League of America"

The "Justice League", also called the Justice League of America or JLA, is a fictional superhero team that appears in comic books published by DC Comics.

First appearing in The Brave and the Bold #28 (February/March 1960), the League originally appeared with a line-up that included Superman, Batman, Furman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, and the Martian Manhunter.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_League

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  10. soscared

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Nov 28 2010 21:14:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I like the BB alerts, bc they truly are passive. All you have to do is look at them regularly.
    I don't like climbups. They require maintenance, and are only arguably successful in catching bugs. You have to work really hard at bed isolation to make them work, and that;s pretty much impossible with a small child. I suppose in theory (if you keep the powder fresh and apply it correctly, something I am not good at) they will catch new bedbugs entering your apt though.

11. Beth

account closed

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Nov 28 2010 23:22:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I had confirmed bb's in my last place and got vikaned and my partner and I are both now being bitten in bed. My dog is also itching and is on 2 kinds of flea preventive (one oral, one on the skin), the two best in the market and salt and DE is all over his sleeping quarters. So not fleas. We vacuum daily. We use no harsh chemicals. Yet still pin prick to more medium size bites on our trunks and arms, a dog itching like crazy. And a cast skin of some kind (bigger than a mite) in my pillow case (I have been getting bitten on and around the face quite a bit). Well, soon enough I suppose, even with all of our cleaning, we will catch a bed bug. When we do, I'll not be the first I've heard of for the fumigation to fail. Was it Annette? My fumigators only gassed the car for 12 hours, so that is what I am suspecting made it not work, and in temperatures too close to 40 degrees. I was desperate and out of town, never should have accepted these conditions.

All that said, mites do like to hitch a ride on bed bugs I've heard, so if you can't find a bug, and were living in a building with bb's, that may be what's biting. Though for your sake (and mine), I hope not.

Good luck to you crazy bug killa.

Amy

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,557 posts in 46,824 topics over 143 months by 20,659 of 21,556 members. Latest: DoIHaveBB, Dread Bugs, gbbedbug