Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Moved to new apt - did I do enough not to bring them with me?

(4 posts)
  1. Metermaid

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jan 22 2009 15:53:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm terrified of bringing any bugs to my new place!

Had 2 PCO treatments. PCO saw only 2 bugs in my entire apt (on first treatment) and they were in my box spring. In preparation for my move:
    - Threw away all bedroom furniture and rugs
    - Threw away couch and living room rug
    - Threw away any loose paper that was in my bedroom.
    - Inspected inside of computer and vacuumed it. (computer was in my bedroom)
    - Inspected wooden picture frames in my bedroom and sprayed them with alcohol.
    - Inspected books that were in my bedroom by paging through them page by page and shaking them over the tub. Didn't see any bugs, so I'm keeping them.
    - Inspected shoes that were in my bedroom. Some are expensive, so I didn't treat them.

Now, I'm worried that I should have quarantined the shoes and books even though I didn't see any bugs on/in them. Given that it seemed like the bugs were confined to my boxspring, do you think that's okay? I mean,they're not invisible right? If I had bedbugs in my books wouldn't I see them??

Thanks!!

2. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jan 22 2009 16:10:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The best thing you can do is read the FAQ's about inspection and learn the three key signs of an infestation:

• Live samples - can be rare to see
    • Cast skins - paper thin skins of bed bugs left as the moult and grow
    • Faecal traces - usually round black marks like a felt tip pen

In reality the faecal traces are the easiest sign to find if you look.

I would recommend you get into the habit of a monthly inspection as you clean your sleeping area and always check a bed away from home.

There is a gallery of image hosted at:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/gallery.html

If you roll over the images a higher resolution version will appear so you can see the details.

as a rule most people would not suggest that you move to try and resolve an infestation. If you were to get infected via a place that you visit every few months and do not realise it moving will not break the infestation cycle. That said you have done it and its best to focus on what to do from here on in.

If you are concern that there is still activity then a scent detection service might be of help. Using dogs they can detect much lower levels on infestation than normal humans and are good in cases where there may be few physical signs present yet.

I would suggest that you check things as you unpack and monitor for activity.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited
    http://www.Bed-Bugs.co.uk

3. bugbattler

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jan 22 2009 16:16:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey there! I can't tell you whether you brought them or not - sorry

I can tell you this, I think it's normal to second guess after the fact. I was so worried about stuff that I KNEW was not infested. I am less worried (2 mnths later) but not entirely unworried.

You are right, they are not invisible. I think it will take time before you feel comfortable, but try to not worry too much.

Congrats on the new place! How do you like it?

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jan 23 2009 1:07:27
    #

Login to Send PM

David's message rescued from spam. (Sorry!)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,655 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982