moved into a sublet with bugs -- but i have to move soon

(17 posts)
  1. trappedbklyn

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 28 2010 0:02:59
    #

Login to Send PM

i just moved to brooklyn for a very temporary sublet and i think the place has bed bugs. i have not seen any actual evidence but something keeps biting me (little red pin pricks that burn briefly and go away in a few hours). the problem is i am only here for one month and then will move in with my boyfriend come september. since i am only here temporarily i can't have the place treated but i am hoping there is a way to get my stuff out of here without bringing the bugs along? my possessions are very limited -- just clothing and books.

i was contemplating washing all my clothing immediately once i leave the apartment and bagging them, and then putting the books into storage for 18 months. is there another option? chemicals?

i should also say i am not positive i have bugs. i have not seen bugs, feces or anything else. does it make sense to have an inspection before i take this too far? any other suggestions?

thanks.

2. NYCCELEBRITY

Banned

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 28 2010 2:23:02
    #

Login to Send PM

My experience is that if you think you have bedbugs you absolutely do! And bedbugs just love clothing and books! In fact, if you are traveling back and forth from your bedbug infested brooklyn sublet to your boyfriends, you my dear have already started the infestation at his place and everywhere else you are hanging out in the city! Though don't fret as it is rare to find a bedbug free zone within the boroughs!

3. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 28 2010 4:35:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Trapped..

Yes. If you can arrange to have a professional, perhaps one with a dog, come and do a deep inspection, you may find that you have bbs or that you have something else like some type of mite or even carpet beetles and their larvae. Once you know exactly what you have, if anything, then you can decide on what treatment you want to have.

(Perhaps some of our PCOs will tell us exactly how we can be careful that the professional and/or dog do not bring bbs into your place when they come for an inspection. )

4. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 28 2010 8:47:23
    #

Login to Send PM

NYCCELEBRITY - 6 hours ago  » 
    My experience is that if you think you have bedbugs you absolutely do! And bedbugs just love clothing and books! In fact, if you are traveling back and forth from your bedbug infested brooklyn sublet to your boyfriends, you my dear have already started the infestation at his place and everywhere else you are hanging out in the city! Though don't fret as it is rare to find a bedbug free zone within the boroughs!

So tell me again why you are the fountainhead of BB knowledge?

How long did you have them?
    How did you eliminate them?

To the OP unless you can inspect and find a cause of your skin reactions, since you are getting ready to move, read the FAQs about traveling or moving and not taking them with you.

Best to take those actions if in doubt. Safe than sorry but that doesn't mean you have them. This NYCelebrity character hasn't shown any real BB knowledge to date.

Jim

5. trappedbklyn

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 28 2010 13:10:35
    #

Login to Send PM

i think there may be some hope since i have not actually found the new apartment yet and my boyfriend and i have not been around eachother since i moved in here. he has not been exposed.

i feel like if i bag and throw away the suitcases, dry clean the clothes and store the books there should be some hope no?

6. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 28 2010 20:28:28
    #

Login to Send PM

trappedbklyn - 6 hours ago  » 
    i think there may be some hope since i have not actually found the new apartment yet and my boyfriend and i have not been around eachother since i moved in here. he has not been exposed.
    i feel like if i bag and throw away the suitcases, dry clean the clothes and store the books there should be some hope no?

Trapped:

As a subletter, is it safe to assume that you don't have a lot of stuff? You have not yet found your new place, so you have "some" time to learn, to stay vigilant (& determine if you do have BB or not) and to strategize a safe move. Most items can be treated, and often for less effort than people realize.
    - Clothing or soft luggage (duffels) can be treated easily by a run through the dryer (~30-45 minutes, depending on thickness & temperature). If they're clean, they do not need to be washed first (drying dirty clothes can "lock in stains & odors"). You can even do "dry cleanables" this way (if they're clean).
    - Items that can't do the "round and round" (i.e., books, elaborate luggage, leather goods) can be treated in a "packtite".
    - Items that can't take heat, can be sealed with "DDVP strips" for a few weeks.
    - Music CDs can be dealt with by inspection or DDVP treatment of the liner notes.
    - If you have a lot of stuff, there are services that will bake your stuff or fumigate with Vikane gas as part of a move enroute. (Vikane can also be used for things that you don't want to give up for weeks and won't take heat).
    Please read the FAQ and one of the guides on the Resources page (like the U of Minn) and/or check out the Austin Frishman (user "pestpro") inspection videos on YouTube (Frishman illustrates how to systematically inspect a space). Hit us with your questions and fears. You'll find a lot of wisdom, compassion and camaraderie here. BedBugCentral .com is also a great site, with interesting video clips on BB topics.

I'd focus on:
    - Relieving your symptoms
    - Inspecting & keeping watch
    - Taking steps to protect your visitors and the places you visit, in case it is BB
    - Working with your "prime tenant" (if appropriate and you're willing) to treat
    - If necessary (i.e., you can't or are not getting professionally treated) stopgap measures to reduce the population (i.e., contact killers like alcohol or detergents, vacuuming, laundering bedding)
    - protecting/preparing your stuff in anticipation of your move.
    Consider yourself ahead of the game.
    "Welcome".

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  7. trappedbklyn

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 28 2010 22:48:37
    #

Login to Send PM

thank you so much for a helpful response. just getting some constructive feedback made me feel a million times better.

8. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Jul 29 2010 6:48:04
    #

Login to Send PM

> Music CDs can be dealt with by inspection or DDVP treatment of the liner notes.
    Meant to say " Music CDs can be dealt with by inspection/cleaning of the disk and heat or DDVP treatment of the liner notes/jewel cases."

9. NYCCELEBRITY

Banned

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Jul 29 2010 7:23:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Acquire a large bottle of high percentage rubbing alcohol pour it into a sprayer and spray your sleeping area an hour before you rest your head! Also spray around the areas where you sit in your apartment! Do this daily as alcohol is a contact killer for bedbugs! After reviewing many reviews for contact killer pesticides one can draw the conclusion that it is the alcohol content of the bedbug sprays that may be more important than the toxic chemicals in the sprays themselves! Also spray the seating of any textile padded chairs you may be sitting in!

[Admin's note: this is very bad advice. While it is true that alcohol is a contact killer, it should be used with extreme caution because it's flammable and it gives off fumes. Do not underestimate its flammability; two buildings have burned down in the Cincinnati area alone in the last year due to people misusing alcohol as a bed bug killer -- and those are just the stories we've heard of. Alcohol can be used as a contact killer, but you probably should not be using it on beds and upholstered items, or where you're going to go to sleep. Besides, large-scale spraying of areas with a contact killer as NYCCELEBRITY is describing is unlikely to kill bed bugs, unless they are sitting on the mattress or chair looking up at you while you spray. It only kills on contact, and bed bugs are not invisible. So use contact killers sparingly, and consider which one is safest for the job at hand.

Note to NYCCELEBRITY: this site is not a free-for-all. It was created so people could share proven, good suggestions for fighting bed bugs. Please stick around and learn from the site before you give suggestions to others. Thanks.]

10. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Jul 29 2010 22:41:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Trapped, please check your private messages.

11. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Jul 29 2010 23:08:20
    #

Login to Send PM

NYCCELEBRITY .. Please stop telling people your view or "experience" .. You are clueless, really!

Telling somebody to spray an area with alcohol 1 hr before they lay in it .. is ridiculous. Why not tell them to smoke in bed while their at it since bed bugs hate smoke (think I read that somewhere in a toilet stall on the wall) and if your lucky you can set the bed on fire.

Thinking you have bed bugs is just that .. a thought. Given the fact that I do inspections just about everyday with 60% or more coming back negative .. the chances are almost split.

For the original poster ... It sounds like you have minimal stuff. BUY A PACKTITE!! It will not only help now .. it's an investment for the future if you travel or breath outside your home.

Read the fact as others mentioned and start isolating your things with Ziploc bags. Heat treat everything when you leave the place and keep inspecting your sleeping area like a crazy person. If you see a bug .. kill it with your shoe! If you, the apartment owner, or landlord can call in a pro for an inspection .. even a better option.

12. NYCCELEBRITY

Banned

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Jul 29 2010 23:57:26
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen - 46 minutes ago  » 
    NYCCELEBRITY .. Please stop telling people your view or "experience" .. You are clueless, really!
    Telling somebody to spray an area with alcohol 1 hr before they lay in it .. is ridiculous. Why not tell them to smoke in bed while their at it since bed bugs hate smoke (think I read that somewhere in a toilet stall on the wall) and if your lucky you can set the bed on fire.
    Thinking you have bed bugs is just that .. a thought. Given the fact that I do inspections just about everyday with 60% or more coming back negative .. the chances are almost split.
    For the original poster ... It sounds like you have minimal stuff. BUY A PACKTITE!! It will not only help now .. it's an investment for the future if you travel or breath outside your home.
    Read the fact as others mentioned and start isolating your things with Ziploc bags. Heat treat everything when you leave the place and keep inspecting your sleeping area like a crazy person. If you see a bug .. kill it with your shoe! If you, the apartment owner, or landlord can call in a pro for an inspection .. even a better option.

OffKilterQueen, tell me what is the reason why you want to pick a fight with me! Do you not think that my gods have the power and ambition to destroy your gods! Tell me what your diet is what you eat, and we shall see who is clueless!

13. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jul 30 2010 0:17:12
    #

Login to Send PM

NYdreaded, this is not the food network so my diet is not important to the rest.

This site is for people to get help, get informed, and find good sound advice. If you don't have bed bugs or never have, I'm not sure what you can contribute to people in need. If you have learned something that is of value to somebody .. by all means, if it's a "safe" approach nobody will fault you for your comments.

You have to remember that a lot of people read this site without becoming a member and may do things that are not right. Just because you may be able to understand something or do something safely, you can't guarantee freaked out people are going to do it the way you describe. Most are in panic mode when they discover a bed bug problem.

Bottom line I'm not here to fight with you .. but please understand that most info that works or is "safe" is already posted on the site .. you just have to lead people to the source. If you can give solid info from experience .. there should be no problem ... I just don't see how the things you say will help people .. and if you need to be called out on it ... then what can I say.

I'll go try and eat some green leafy grass for you if that makes you post better suggestions.

14. trappedbklyn

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jul 30 2010 0:26:13
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks. i am seriously thinking about getting a packtite. the question is -- do i purchase it before or after the move? seems like after right? couldn't a bug be on it when i move it?

15. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jul 30 2010 0:35:43
    #

Login to Send PM

you can always take the bag off the frame and put it in the dryer. the frame is just metal and a plastic heater.

However, anybody have tips on moving the packtite box? I dont want to bring all that cardboard, but if I need to ship it, I need the box... Did everyone else toss your shipping box?

16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Jul 31 2010 1:08:24
    #

Login to Send PM

bushbugg,

If you must keep a box from your old residence when moving, one idea would be to seal it in a large contractor's bag (in an airtight fashion). This would need to be stored somewhere it would not get jostled or ripped (or clawed by a cat).

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  17. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Jul 31 2010 1:27:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 18 minutes ago  » 
    bushbugg,
    If you must keep a box from your old residence when moving, one idea would be to seal it in a large contractor's bag (in an airtight fashion). This would need to be stored somewhere it would not get jostled or ripped (or clawed by a cat).

The packtite box is bigger than a contractor bag. Im either gonna get a banana bag or toss it I guess.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,406 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams