Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Moved in ten days ago, getting seriously eaten!

(3 posts)
  1. Empress

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jun 10 2009 15:58:41
    #

Login to Send PM

So, my girlfriend and I moved into a new apartment 10 days ago, on July 31st. We have never had any problems with bugs before. We are generally clean people.

First night, we saw a couple of bugs on the wall. We didn't really worry much about it. A few nights ago, we saw another one. Two nights ago, I started noticing all sorts of bites, like mosquito bites, except I haven't been around mosquitos. Last night, I got more, and now my girlfriend is covered in bites, too. We haven't seen any since. I've searched the mattress, but haven't noticed any other signs.

There's quite a gap between the floorboard and the wall in the bedroom. We don't have a real bed, just mattresses on the floor. We live in Ontario, Canada. This is driving us insane, and it's not even fair, because obviously they were here when we moved in! We're on the 7th floor of a large apartment building, if it matters.

Are these bedbugs? What can we do? What exactly do I say to the Landlord? Please help!!

2. BugsInTO

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jun 10 2009 21:13:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi - You've been there 10 days? since May 31st, then, not July 31st.

If you are seeing bugs, then capture them &/or kill them. Just use mechanical methods - swatting, spraying with rubbing alcohol etc. I am not suggesting a pesticide.

You will need samples for identification. You can check them against photos on the internet; you can take them to be checked (places like Public Health, entymology dept at University, PCO., etc.) and if you get them confirmed, then you can advise your landlord that you have bedbugs. [I am not a lawyer, but the tenant's information on the Toronto Public Health website is clear on this, so you might want to print off their info sheets.]

If you can't capture any samples, then you will have to tell your landlord that you suspect you have bedbugs, and they should get a PCO to do an inspection.

In Ontario, it is the landlord's responsibility to keep the apt pest-free. This means they are supposed to pay for the PCO, but you are responsible for all the preparation. It doesn't matter how the bedbugs, if you have them, got there. The landlord is 100% responsible for the treatment.

Read the FAQ's on this site. They will really help.

3. Empress

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jun 10 2009 22:21:55
    #

Login to Send PM

May 31st, yeah. Sorry, I'm not in a great state-of-mind.

Landlord is responsible for paying? Thank you! We cannot afford it, that's nice to hear. We're spending tonight vacuuming and tidying. We have plastic covers for the mattresses. We have started cleaning and bagging out blankets and clothing.

We have one sample bug, it looks like a bedbug to me, but I am no expert. Obviously.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,655 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982