Moved from infested house. Now, a month later, I'm being bitten again

(9 posts)
  1. Amy2018

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Sat Apr 21 2018 15:00:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone. This story is quite long so please bare with me.

Basically, it all started in early Feb 2018. My husband and I were looking to move and found a little house. When we spoke to the landlord about the house, he stated to us that the previous tenant had an issue w/ bedbugs; however, he had been treating since September 2017 and it'd been clear of bugs. The landlord is also an exterminator in my small town so when he said it was clear of bugs, we believed him and stupidly moved in.

It only took a day or so for me to notice. I was in the bathroom and found 2... 1 dead and 1 alive. At first, I didn't know what it was. I thought it was a tick. I googled it and discovered it to be a bed bug. I told my husband about it and at the time, we just thought they were a few "stragglers" who were dying from the treatment. A day or so later, I found another one on my curtain... A day goes by and I find another one in the kitchen.... same story... I thought they were just a few of the ones coming out to die and although at that point, I kept my eye on it, I didn't think much about it b/c I had NO IDEA about bed bugs. I'd never experienced them in my life and the landlord was an exterminator so I thought surely they're just coming out of their hiding to die...

We continued to move in and settle and unpack. Then, one night, my dog was laying on his bed in the living room and I told my husband we should go lay with him and pet on him a while and when we did, I saw a bed bug scurry off and I think I killed it. It was at that point that I started to realize that it wasn't just a few "coming out to die" and I took my flashlight and gave the house a really good check. THEY WERE EVERYWHERE. Every little spot on the wall that I thought was just like a nail hole was a bed bug, they were up my curtains and there were TONS of them in the window seal. I didn't see any (at that point) on my entertainment center or other items but they were just up and down the walls and in the windows.... The funny thing is, I don't know how we missed them b/c we cleaned the house before we moved in.

So anyway, after that, stuff got A LOT worse. At that point, my husband was having panic attacks and real issues w/ the situation (which is something he's never experienced... I'm the one w/ anxiety) so we made a cot in the living room and slept in there. I was up one night while hubs was sleeping and my cat was laying on the couch against the wall and I see one. I smash it and it explodes with blood. Also at this point, both hubs and me are getting eaten alive. Totally covered in welts and bites....

So we call the landlord and he says we can have our deposit and rent back and he'll void the lease for us and we can move. He was really nice about it and even said we could put our packed items in a garage of his until we found a new place and he wouldn't charge us rent.

So, we clean nearly everything and alcohol the heck out of it and get it to his garage. We didn't alcohol everything (about 90% I'd say) b/c we hadn't had a chance to even unpack the majority of it. During that time, the infestation was mostly in the living room and I found maybe 2 in each bedroom and laundry room, whereas, I was finding tons in the living room.

We get all our stuff aside from necessities out and stay in the house until we can find another place to live in. Since our couch was in the living room, we decide to burn it. The landlord had a big property so he let us haul it to his house and we all 3 sat and burned it together. So then, we start talking and he knows my family so he felt comfy speaking w/ me and we get on the subject of the bugs. He's like "you all are the 2nd good tenants I've lost to this woman" (meaning the woman who brought them in) and goes on to tell us that the tenant who brought them in basically sat on the situation for over a year and when they moved, he went in and the house was literally flooded with them. He said there was a mattress in the living room and when he picked it up, a black swarm came scurrying off. LIKE WHY DIDN'T HE TELL US THAT?!?!? Gosh.

The odd thing is, it seemed like the more we took out of the house, the less bugs we saw but we were VERY careful not to take them with us.

So, 2 weeks later we move (it's early March 2018 by now) and all is well. We're settling in great and I think all is well. We've got new couches now and we had gotten used to sleeping in the living room together so as we settled, we just slept in the living room on the couches.

So then, I'm cleaning and I shampoo the carpet. Now, mind you, I shampooed the first house with it but it's a heated shampooer so I thought there was no way any could be in there... I cleaned it out and found a few but they were dead as a doorknob so I just cleaned it real good and shampooed the hall (my dog had peed). In no time, I wake up with a bite.... then a few days later, I wake up with another bite. They looked and felt the same as before so I got worried. I flipped the couch and searched it, nothing.... looked on curtains and basically looked everywhere and didn't find a spec of a notion of a bed bug. No blood, no stains, no casings, no nothing. I thought maybe it was an ant so I told my husband but went on with it and thought if I keep getting them, I'll do something about it.

So now, it's April 21 and for the past week or so, I've been getting eaten alive. Lines of bites on my thighs, arm, a few on my face and basically just like it was at the old house. Hubs hasn't gotten bitten once. Still haven't found one. The ONLY sign I found was one day, I found a super dried up and dead half of a bedbug (I'm nearly certain it wasn't a casing) in my silverware drawer but I thought it was from the old house.

We've bagged up the sofa I was sleeping on and although it's a little better, I'm still waking up with new bites.

From what I read, getting bitten every day would suggest a larger infestation, but I'm not seeing anything, smelling anything or anything... Hubs was getting eaten alive at the old house and now I'm the only one being bitten.

I honestly was about to DIY heat treat the house room by room but after reading some posts, I'm not sure I want to due to the risks. I can't afford a $1200 heat treatment and the exterminator I called said it's either heat treat the house or throw away my couches and spray. I just spent a gob of money on my new couches.... I thought about steaming and seeing what that did but I just don't know anymore. I'm so tired and tired of itching and scared that this house is infested. Idk what to do at this point.

What would you do?

2. LittleRin

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun Apr 22 2018 4:11:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you live in an area where they have bed-bug sniffing dogs? I recently moved, am getting bites - but different from the sort I got back when I had an infestation at my old apartment. I hired a company that uses dogs to sniff out if there are really bed bugs so that I can figure out whether they really are in my apartment or if I have a different problem.

Alternatively, you can try buying Bedlam (a spray that seems to be pretty effective and has a residual effect) and CimeXa (crack/crevice dust that is very effective after bed bugs walk through it and kills them in a few days. Has static-cling properties. Kills the bugs by drying them out).. Dust a thin layer into your baseboards and between the mattress and box spring. It could help give you some peace of mind.

3. Amy2018

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Apr 23 2018 2:02:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks! From what I've seen via research, there are no dogs near me. I live in a really small town unfortunately.

I'll for sue check out the products you mentioned. Do you know if they're safe for my couches? I'm still thinking about steaming too.

4. toji

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Apr 23 2018 17:26:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you bring furniture when you changed places? Bed bugs could nest on any piece of furniture...

Now you brought some with you, just follow the usual process (tons faqs or youtube video about it) to avoid fedding them :

- isolate your bed and couch with climb up interceptors and mattress encasement for bed
    - before isolating preferably steam bed and couch to kill any bug harboring.(if impossible carefully use bedlam)
    - apply cimexa along baseboard/between mattress and boxspring/on cavities/etc
    - have patience, you will slowly get rid of them

you're lucky enough to live in the u.s.a so you have tons of available products and tools so use them!

5. Livingagain

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Apr 24 2018 10:07:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, Cimexa is great for cracks and crevices of couches. It's just drying if you get it on you. And right after you apply stay out of the room for a few hours because it's in the air. But it's supposed to be pretty effective, and besides the few hours after application when it's in the air it's really safe. Good luck!

6. Amy2018

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Apr 25 2018 14:52:45
    #

Login to Send PM

toji - 1 day ago  » 
    Did you bring furniture when you changed places? Bed bugs could nest on any piece of furniture...
    Now you brought some with you, just follow the usual process (tons faqs or youtube video about it) to avoid fedding them :
    - isolate your bed and couch with climb up interceptors and mattress encasement for bed
    - before isolating preferably steam bed and couch to kill any bug harboring.(if impossible carefully use bedlam)
    - apply cimexa along baseboard/between mattress and boxspring/on cavities/etc
    - have patience, you will slowly get rid of them
    you're lucky enough to live in the u.s.a so you have tons of available products and tools so use them!

Thanks for your response! We did bring our furniture; however, we bought new couches as we worried that the main infestation was in the old couch.

I'll try these steps! I have been watching Bed Bug Supply on YouTube and saw their 4 step process (vac and steam, spray and powder and repeat basically)

7. Amy2018

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Apr 25 2018 14:54:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Livingagain - 1 day ago  » 
    Yeah, Cimexa is great for cracks and crevices of couches. It's just drying if you get it on you. And right after you apply stay out of the room for a few hours because it's in the air. But it's supposed to be pretty effective, and besides the few hours after application when it's in the air it's really safe. Good luck!

Do you know if it's safe for pets? I have 2 cats. I was actually thinking about using it and putting a line of it basically around the walls (baseboards) in each room and a line in each doorway. If I do that, it'll get on the cats feet. Wondering if it'd hurt them. My male cat has asthma.

8. Bugsareicky

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Apr 25 2018 15:33:33
    #

Login to Send PM

it's typically safe for pets, but not recommended for people with asthma. We put down DE (similar dust) and my cats rolled in the stuff on purpose. I don't think I'd use it with a cat that has breathing issues. Ideally you want to starve the bugs. They need meals to grow, and also to breed. Isolate the bed, use climb ups, ext. If you do this with cats in the house, they'll just feed on the cats. If you have a friend or family member that could keep your cats for a while, or can afford a boarding facility, I'd just get the cats out for now. That opens up a lot more treatment options, and makes it a whole lot easier to starve the bugs. Starving them won't kill them, but it'll keep them from multiplying so quickly while you get a handle on things.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun Apr 29 2018 20:39:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I would try and get a human to do an inspection. An experienced person may find evidence where you can't. (If you moved a small number of bed bugs in March, it may not be super obvious yet.)

It's possible you moved bed bugs if your method was to spray things with alcohol. Rubbing alcohol only sprays bed bugs you can see and directly hit. It does not kill bed bugs which are hiding inside of something, which is very much the bed bug M.O.

However, before getting further treatment, be sure and get a positive ID.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,447 posts in 46,579 topics over 142 months by 20,544 of 21,410 members. Latest: itchymama4, PrismArc, unclejohn