Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Moved and find no signs of new bugs, still having symptoms. Bites?

(5 posts)
  1. HelplessinLA

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Apr 26 2011 1:22:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all,

Long story short, I discovered BB in my apartment, and after unsuccessful treatments by my landlord, I moved out to a new apartment bringing nothing but my belongings with me. I took as much precaution as I could during the move, including treating all my items with paktite and dryer and isolate all items in ziplock bag. You can find my original story here and preparation I took while moving here.

Two weeks after moving, I hired Isotech k9 detection team to inspect my new place and my car (I suspect that it was infested). The dog cleared my car and the apartment, but alerted to my dirty laundry bag (I isolate and ziplock all my clothes, including dirty laundry). The dog handler was very professional and went through all my dirty laundry item carefully, and eventually found what looked like an egg on my dirty socks. He popped it right in front of me, and white creamy stuff came out like a pimple. I then also had the dogs sniffed my shoes (I leave them outside of my apartment,never wear them inside) and had a positive reaction as well, though the handler could not identify any bug or egg in the shoes (it's well-worn and had many crevices that's hard to inspect without tearing the shoes apart). Upon the finding, Isotech thought that all I needed was to dry all my clothes (including shoes) in dryer for 60 minutes and I should be fine, since I have isolated everything in ziplocks and have yet to purchase any furniture (also no bed, sleep on a memory foam ). I followed his instruction and put the shoes in paktite for 8 hours in addition.

However, I'm still experiencing symptoms. My back (mostly upper-back) still gets itchy from time to time, with occasional "pimple-like" swell and sometimes they hurt as well. I inspect my entire room (baseboard/wall/closet) and bathroom (right next to my bedroom) once every two days with a strong LED flashlight, and have yet to find signs (bugs/"complete" shell/fecal stain). I have also not find any blood or fecal stain on my shirt or on the memory foam casing/pillow. On another note, I have found numerous carpet beetles, shells (fractured/incomplete and difficult to identify), silverfish, and a few other unidentifiable bugs that I'm sure are not bed bugs (confirmed by isotech).

So what's going on now? Am I BB free? If so, why am I still experiencing symptoms? My main concern is that since I have no furniture, could the bed bugs be simply hiding in the walls and under the baseboard? Have I done more harm than good by not purchasing any furniture (especially a bed, since it'll provide a "home" for the bugs and therefore easier to identify an infestation)?

I do have a few climb up interceptors but won't be able to use them because I have no bed to sleep on. I'm afraid of purchasing any furniture before I'm sure the bed bugs have not follow me. I'm thinking of bringing in the dogs again in a month, but I'm also anxious about the cost as I have pretty much drained all my financial resources from the move and fight with the bed bugs. What should I do now?

Any advice will be thoroughly appreciated. I pray everyday for all who're suffering from bed bugs/bird mites infestation, it really is one of the worst experience I've ever had and I would not wish it upon my worst enemy. God bless you all.

2. HelplessinLA

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun May 1 2011 4:19:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello, can anyone help me on this please?

Also an update: Today I found two fecal stains on the walls near the base boards Stain #1 is directly underneath the heater in the living room (directly adjacent to my bedroom), and stain #2 is found in my bedroom near an electrical plate. I know they're fecal stains because they were black dots that smeared, and I could not get the smeared trace completely off the wall even after wiping twice with tissue. I do a thorough inspection of my bed room around the base boards every 2~3 days for the past three weeks, and none of these stains were there in my last inspection. This is exactly the type of stains I saw at my old infested apartment

So my questions are:

1) Are the fecal stains enough evidence that my new apartment is unfortunately infested again with BB? Aside from the two fecal stains, the only other sign I have is my itchy back (better the last few days). I found no bugs (dead or alive), shells, nor any any stains on the memory foam I sleep on or my undershirt. It really baffles me as I thought BB poops as they suck my blood, but perhaps that is not always true.

2) If the stains is enough evidence, should I simply contact a professional to treat? I originally planned to have Isotech's K9 dog team to inspect my apartment again next Friday. Should I simply skip the inspection and just have them come in to treat my apartment, if the stains is enough evidence?

Please any advice is appreciated. I'm not panicking and freaking out as much as I did in the old apartment, but my finding of the fecal stains today is very disturbing and disappointing. I'm trying to think logically and focus on getting rid of this infestation, but still my emotion sometimes get the best of me. Please help!

3. bbgirl

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun May 1 2011 9:26:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I'd really like to know the answer to this too.....I found a fecal stain above the baseboard in my living room and then quite near to it found a dead spider in the tracks of the patio doors. I read somewhere here that fecal could be from different insects. This could be scraped off the wall but left a dark mark but unlike the "sharpie" type stains previously.

4. Buggybumpers

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun May 1 2011 17:32:10
    #

Login to Send PM

bbgirl, the exterminator went through your dirty laundry? Wow. If I had an exterminator that thorough, I'd probably be BB-free in my own apartment right now! You'll just have to be patient awhile longer. BTW, how did your shoes fare in the Packtite and what kinds of shoes did you put in there?

5. HelplessinLA

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 2 2011 0:41:18
    #

Login to Send PM

BBgirl: Yeah these stains could be very tricky. I read in another post that you could buy one of those tester that could determine whether the stains are blood or not. If the stains are not blood, then for sure it's not from BB. If it is blood, then there's a good chance (though not 100% certain) that it's a dropping from BB. I think I'll get the kit. Using qtip and saliva is just very crude and unreliable and only adds worry without giving me much information.

Buggybumpers - I'm assuming your post is addressed to me (though you said "bbgirl")? Yes the dog handler (he's not the exterminator, just trains and works with the dog) was very thorough and professional. I was very shocked by how he literally took out every piece of clothing out of my dirty laundry bag and inspect every seams/button/folds. I hope they'll send him again when I request another round of K9 inspection. Regarding my shoes, they fared well in paktite, much better than being in the dryer. I put both sneakers and dress shoes in there, and they seemed fine. The dryer on the other hand....pretty much destroyed the inside of my dress shoes. Heat in the dryer is just very very high I guess.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,771 posts in 50,035 topics over 155 months by 21,875 of 22,359 members. Latest: questioning_bugger, Mikayah, maybeebedbugs