Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Mounting BB passive to boxspring. Will it mess up encasement?

(6 posts)
  1. scaredsilly

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 21 2010 17:14:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I am sticking David Cain's Bed bug passive monitors on my boxsprings today. I just want to make sure that if I need to take them off to toss them that they won't tear the encasements. Has anyone glued one of these to the encasement and needed to remove it? What was the result?

The other option I guess would be to place it horizontally in between the box spring and mattress at the head of the bed without actually sticking it on the encasement. I want to make sure that I do this correctly though.

Thanks!

2. so unsettling

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 21 2010 17:31:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Not sure. But when I first got my passive, I pushed the bed against the wall and put the monitor on the wall. Soon I decided this wasn't a good idea, so i took the monitor off and it tore the paint off the wall. My mattress and boxspring were not encased at that point.

Not sure that there is any practical way to use the passive, now that the bed is isolated with climbups and encasements. I pick up the mattress from time to time, as they can still somehow get on the bed and hide in between the encased mattress and encased box spring. But I have found nothing there.

3. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 21 2010 19:53:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If you are worried about the encasement then you can slip the passive in-between the mattress and the base at the head end of the bed. If you leave a centimetre or two outside of the mattress and box spring it will ensure that its easy for any bedbugs to get to.

With regards if bedbugs will still work with isolation devices installed yes they will but not as optimally. This is because bedbugs are clever enough to overcome most attempts to isolate the bed and will often set up new refugia away from the bed itself. Some of these will discover the passive after a while and will relocate into it but if the isolation has been ongoing for some time they may just stick tot he usual pattern of dropping off the side of the bed to return tot he same refugia.

I hope that explains a little better.

David Cain
    Bed bugs Limited

4. djt7728

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Nov 22 2010 9:59:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I put mine on the wall behind the bed, thats how the on line instructions had it. Hopefully it is the right way?

5. scaredsilly

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Nov 22 2010 23:40:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Djt7728. There were three mock-ups as to where to place passives depending on the bed set up that you have. Mine is supposed to go on the boxspring but I am pretty sure I will need to change it occasionally and didn't want to mess up the protectors. You can see the three types of set ups here: http://www.usbedbugs.com/assets/pdf/passive-instructions.pdf

David, thanks for the help. I decided to wait a day or two until my new encasements come. That way there won't be pesticide residue on the fresh encasements when I place the monitor, for optimal results. (Had to get better encasements as I suspect leakage).

Thanks!

6. bushbugg

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 23 2010 0:13:56
    #

Login to Send PM

David, I realize that an inflatable is the worst possible sleeping situation to anchor a passive to. Maybe on the wall? On the floor underneath?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,755 posts in 49,796 topics over 154 months by 21,795 of 22,260 members. Latest: insecureuser, o0liver19, Laura07