Mother using pesticide to kill bed bugs inadvertently poisoned children

(19 posts)
  1. Louise

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Feb 23 2015 17:39:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Mother using pesticide to kill bed bugs inadvertently poisoned children:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/edmonton/Infant+dead+four+other+children+critical+condition/10836010/story.html

So sad.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Feb 23 2015 17:55:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Very sad indeed.

One of the factors that enables this is that people use the term fumigation when they actually mean treatment. Therefore if you ask a supplier of products for something to fumigate for bedbugs you run the risk of actually getting a highly dangerous gas based fumigant such as this.

I not sure what the latest UK stats are but a few years ago 5 professionals a year died because of this sort of product which is why you now need to prove additional training to purchase it.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Feb 23 2015 19:40:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Certainly a disturbing event. One of the reasons some experts try to caution DIYers to stick to accepted vetted approaches of bed bug control which include non chemical measures as well. It is also why certain comments are made in regard to overly creative, over applied or over done measures. Perhaps one the reasons that folks using the blog should browse around and Read The Faqs before attempting control on their own. Proper pesticide use can protect and assist humans in many ways when misused they can kill and cause serious damage and unintended results. Warnings on labels are not suggestions they are legal documents which must be followed. If you do not understand the label don't assume, have it explained to you. If you can not buy a material in a store legally in your city or town, perhaps you should not use it.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Feb 23 2015 23:43:57
    #

Login to Send PM

It's tragic and so avoidable as Winston and David suggested.

The previous poisonings with phosphine in Jerusalem and Thailand mentioned in the article have been written about on the Bedbugger blog.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 24 2015 0:00:42
    #

Login to Send PM

The mother in the news might be ignorant of how to get rid of bed bugs. Maybe she listened to some people who gave her great feedback on fumigation.

There are people out there who will do anything including murder to get rid of any bugs or a "bugless" condition.

Yes, tragic. What can you do when you are helpless like these kids/infant or without support!?

6. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 24 2015 1:44:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Very sad story, and if the article is correct, she carried it here on a plane. How did she get through customs with something this dangerous?

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.
  7. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 24 2015 2:33:48
    #

Login to Send PM

My guess is that customs don't check moms with kids as often. Too much hassle and crying.

Or could it be some of them were scratching themselves while passing customs? I hope I don't sound insensitive.

It gives me great anxiety to go near somebody who's scratching like crazy (Especially, I got pretty itchy after dealing with someone for a short while in public. That person scratched from head to back a lot. In that instance, I swore that she's already like that before I got in front of her. Since I was trying to stop reacting to people's scratching and didn't want to wait again, I took a chance. Bad choice.)

8. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 24 2015 3:47:33
    #

Login to Send PM

That was about a couple of years ago.

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 24 2015 11:02:12
    #

Login to Send PM

As was already noted, the misuse of the word fumigation when pesticide or insecticide application are more appropriate.
    In some countries, it's easy to buy many products that obviously cannot be purchased by the general public here in the U.S. or European or EU countries. There might not have been instructions that accompanied the phosphine tablets. These could have been given to her by a family member or friend who bought them with the instructions that you just have to scatter them around for the product to work.

From one online report, the insecticide has been called medicine:
    “She just wanted to kill bugs, and she just put some medicine over there in (the) apartment because she complained to the apartment caretaker and she didn't respond to anything,” the woman’s sister, Shazia Yarkhan told CTV Edmonton.

News Report:
    Phosphine, a controlled substance in Canada normally used as a pesticide, was found in an unmarked container in the home, said Brad Grainger, deputy chief of regional emergency services.
    It had been brought into the country illegally.

One online report did not mention the odor:
    "When exposed to the air, the pellets react with moisture and release phosphine gas. The gas is both colorless and odorless but extremely toxic." So much for vetting process and research.

MSDS:
    Phosphine is a colorless gas with an odor that has been described, by various observers, as similar to that of garlic, rotting fish or stale urine.

From an article from 2010, also involving Pakistani people:
    Regarding Aluminum Phosphide (ALP).
    "On admission, it was notified by the parents that the night before they had used an insecticide (25 tablets) to kill bed bugs in their children’s room. The insecticide was bought at the cost of Rs. 400/- ($5) from a door to door vender who sold these tablets in a closed jar by publicising them as bugs killing tablets. It was shocking to observe that the compound was not a branded insecticide as it was unlabeled. The compound seemed to be a commercially prepared tablet and it released a strong garlic odour. Phosphine is an extremely toxic colourless gas that releases a fishy or garlic-like odour. In the past, ALP has been used by Indian villagers as a way of committing suicide. No specific antidote has been identified as yet for ALP."

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  10. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 24 2015 12:10:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Without going into detail these are not the types of products you want circulating around.

11. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 24 2015 14:32:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou wrote,

MSDS:
    Phosphine is a colorless gas with an odor that has been described, by various observers, as similar to that of garlic, rotting fish or stale urine.

I had smelled garlicky around the fruits & veggies section at the grocery store for consecutive weeks. I was wondering what that was. It all made sense now. Thanks, Lou!

There are so many types of pesticides. Legal or not. Odor or not.

I believe some people have been fumigating my apartment for at least a year (this round). This happens all the times, day and night. The ones that I've been overdosing by other people were/are masked with these other odors and/or products:

-cheap perfumes or air freshener
    -cigarettes
    -Scabies creme/medication
    -oily cooking stuff
    -chlorine
    -some stinky odor

This may not be the complete list. I couldn't recall all of them now.

The clothes/water from the washers and dryers smell like Scabies creme. The clothing from the dryers sometimes smell like (don't really know how to explain it as I could only guess), men with strong odor. My clothes smell so bad.

In addition, my clothes which are ziploc inside a plastic container would smell very bad overnight. I know this as I hadn't smelled anything as foul or strong after laundries in the past would have very stinky clothes the next day or so.

Whoever's been doing this is overdosing when you consider all the ways or details. Do you think they are consider enough to count if the clothes have been contaminated from the laundries, then they wouldn't 'fumigate' my living environments including where I store my clothes?

I am thinking that they are so paranoid that they would overdose any area that I revisit or touch.

I am not kidding that my toilet paper are soaked and fast dried with overdosed pesticides.

Also, I sometimes question myself if I should shower at all. The result after the shower is that I don't smell good. Why bother?

12. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 24 2015 18:17:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I had smelled garlicky around the fruits & veggies section at the grocery store for consecutive weeks. I was wondering what that was. It all made sense now. Thanks, Lou!

Well, fruits and vegetable section -- could be real garlic. No one here is using aluminum phosphide tablets as was outlined above. Any odor was from something else. Odors could be from other things.

I believe some people have been fumigating my apartment for at least a year (this round).

It wouldn't be fumigation, but insecticide application if anything has been done at all.

13. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 24 2015 22:12:34
    #

Login to Send PM

It was pretty empty when I grocery shopped. I thought of people who might have taken garlic pills. But no. I also checked to see if any garlic was placed near the produce. No. Of course, we can't say for sure what it was. I also could not confirm what the turnover rate of the staff working at that place is like.

Whatever it is, all I know my gums have been receding and resulted 'not a good feeling' to my teeth, my tongue/mouth is like a desert, my lips peeling, burning to my eye lid and eye, losing hair, headaches, hard to breathe, burning skin, and more.

14. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Feb 25 2015 2:15:11
    #

Login to Send PM

One of the pluses of fumigation is that once aerated there is no fumigant left. I think we can safely assume that no one is fumigated your market with fumigants, nor is the odor from any of the products which may have been fumigated before reaching the store. Most items are not fumigated, it is expensive and time consuming.

15. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Feb 25 2015 23:19:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Winston!

I don't know anything about fumigation. The cost of the real stuff is expensive. Like other things, I wonder if there's any cheaper versions because of ...

I am pretty sure that the hammering of stuff upstairs regularly (their floor but my ceiling) has something to do with my situation. They hammer, hammer, hammer everywhere. Also, they must be using some kind of machines or fan-like equipment to distribute the pesticides. There could be some in-between steps that I didn't know because I wasn't there to see the procedure.

There's cold air coming down the internal walls and from the ceilings everywhere. It wasn't like that when I first moved in.

16. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Feb 26 2015 8:23:45
    #

Login to Send PM

While obviously I can not say for sure but it is most unlikely that your upstairs neighbor is using FUMIGANTS on a regular basis. Perhaps the main reason I come to this opinion is that you are still posting and you have not seen the coroner removing your neighbors. While there may be some issues you need to deal with I believe fear of fumigants is not at the top of the list here. Good luck.

17. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Feb 26 2015 14:29:05
    #

Login to Send PM

My upstairs neighbor who lived here for many years moved out recently.

18. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 27 2015 1:54:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Louise, for letting us know about the news.

Another child from the same family died.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/cp-newsalert-another-child-dies-being-exposed-bedbug-212720223.html

19. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 27 2015 8:52:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately the headline "Another child from Alberta family dies after being exposed to bedbug insecticide" should read " A child dies as the result of her mothers illegal dangerous abuse of an agricultural pesticide smuggled into the country" A case of infanticide as a result of _______________. A tragedy but certainly an avoidable one.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,552 posts in 49,285 topics over 152 months by 21,598 of 22,023 members. Latest: TW20, MyAccountHere, eldina714