Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

mosquito nets

(4 posts)
  1. buggeroff

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Jul 24 2007 19:26:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Anyone looked into pesticide-treated mosquito nets as a weapon against the Airborne Division? Seems to me like it would be easier than a tarp on the ceiling - though problematic, maybe, for people with pets.

Anyone know where you would buy one?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Jul 24 2007 23:19:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Are you sure you have airborne bed bugs? it's my hunch that many people sleeping in an isolated bed are being bitten by bed bugs either coming from the frame, the pillow, the mattress, or clothing (if worn elsewhere in the home before bed).

I suppose if you were sure your bed bugs were coming from the ceiling, then you might prevent the drop with a net. But my understanding is this would probably be temporary. They would eventually find another route to you.

Mosquito nets are not fully enclosed. The ones I've seen kind of cling around the outside of the mattress. Bed bugs can get through.

There WAS a sort of tent that was advertised for bed bugs as well as other pests. You got in and sealed yourself in, and it sat on the bed. A single was $100. But remember, unless you were certain there were no bed bugs on your clothing or feet before you got in, and unless you also did not lean against the sides, you would be bitten.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Jul 25 2007 8:45:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi buggeroff,

There was a very interesting recent post by someone here you should read.

These are options, and I'm reminded that getting some sleep is essential in trying to gain a sense of control over a bed bug situation.

Also, our friend Frank has very useful information (and diagrams) on isolation here and here.

4. buggeroff

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Jul 25 2007 9:17:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks HNoMo, I had read this post and mentally resisted the idea of a tent, though maybe I should think about it again. I'd also read through Frank's blog and thought about his diagrams and am planning tonight to see if I can rig something up on the ceiling with carpet tape.

NBOM: I have not been bitten in several nights and have no reason to suspect that I've been attacked by dropoffs, but David Cain's posts seem to express a conviction that this is a likely eventual response that BBs will have to an isolated bed, so I was just considering my options.

I was speculating about CO2, as muchbugged has been, and wondering how much, if at all, a window fan would confuse a BB by dispersing CO2 and body heat.

I have also been wondering about the effectiveness, if any, of DEET against BBs. Are the heat- and CO2-detection mechanisms of ticks and mosquitoes anything like those of the BB?

For that matter (I'm full of speculation!) I've been wondering how much effect, if any, the IGRs in Revolution, Program and other anti-flea and tick meds for dogs and cats might have on a BB that bit the cat. I have read that some of the environmental IGRs are not effective, but didn't understand whether this was because the chemical didn't work or it wasn't getting into the BB's system because it has to be eaten.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,432 posts in 50,192 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams