Monitors - Active or Passive???

(4 posts)
  1. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Sep 28 2012 8:49:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Is there any reason or drawback not to use an active monitor? (I did read the FAQ which explained the different types) I am in the preliminary stage of monitoring. Both my daughter's house and my house have had potential exposure. I have been reading the site for about four days now (great information). Everything I read from the experienced bedbuggers seem to refer to passive monitors. I have purchased the Bed Bug Beacon, Climbup Interceptors and those BuggyBeds I saw on Shark Tank. I was planning on using both passive and active monitors, but again everyone seems to be talking about passive. Is there any reason not to use an active monitor?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Sep 28 2012 10:50:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Forgive the level of detail on this one but its important to get the facts right.

There are three groups of monitoring technology, active, passive and interceptors:

Active
    These use either CO2, heat, chemicals or a combination of stimuli to attract bedbugs or actively lure them into the device. There are multiple products in this class ranging from low prices through to rather expensive. As the one on the shark tank has a lure it is actually an active monitor not a passive one.

Passive
    Passive monitors contain no chemical, CO2 or heat lure to bedbugs and rely on either being a harbourage detector or int he case of the one I developed a harbourage plus a detection skirt that induces faecal trace deposits which are easy to see.

Interceptors
    These are designed to impede bedbugs usually away from beds or furniture by trapping them in pitfalls as they are drawn towards you. There are multiple products in this class.

If you read through the FAQ's and useful tools sections you will see more information on these tools and how to deploy them effectively and what can / should be used in given circumstances.

I personally use the bedbug beacon as an active in non occupied areas and the Passive Monitor as a tool for occupied areas.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly declare my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder.

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Sep 28 2012 12:09:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you (again) Mr. Cain! I did see you passive monitor on line today and plan to get several. In part because I really like the design and in part because you are so very kind to answer everyone's questions. I wasn't aware that the BuggyBeds' (Shark Tank) had a lure in them. Like I stated, I just hadn't seen any threads where experienced bedbuggers were talking about using active monitors so I was a little worried to use them. In my limited knowledge didn't know if they could lure them to us if we didn't have them now (paranoid I know). Haven't seen anything yet that tells what distance a bedbug can detect the heat and co2 of a person. Thanks again.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Sep 28 2012 12:25:05
    #

Login to Send PM

LOL, please don't get them because I am nice, get them because they actually work.

I have actually tested pretty much everything on the market and if you want a barometer of efficiency and efficacy look at what we are prepared top sell on our website. If you also want a real chuckle find me on Facebook and see what I write about other things in places where I cant offend our host and her excellent diplomacy (although I never did Facebook comment on cinema seat covers).

I will need to look up the stats on detection distances but as a good rule of thumb 3 meters or 6 foot is about what bedbugs can detect differences in CO2 and heat over. However they prefer to hang out within 3 foot of a source of food.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,194 posts in 50,136 topics over 155 months by 21,918 of 22,413 members. Latest: Peachyy92, Bigworm, Cain69