MITES! Need help. Questions about Vikane

(12 posts)
  1. BuggyInFLA

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Jan 11 2019 7:01:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all, this is my first post but I have been lurking the forum for 6 months now reading and studying. Learning and gathering knowledge in hopes to help my infestation. I have read so many stories and just cant believe how such tiny creatures can completely consume and ruin a families life. This is by far the worst thing i have ever experienced.

Soo my story is about dust mites and they are ruining my life. I live in central Florida just outside of Orlando with my wife and 3 sons. We have been dealing with these critters for over 6 months now. I had an entomologist at my house yesterday to finally give me confirmation that it is dust mites and we had a second thermal treatment yesterday completely cooking the house and cars(oh did I mention my cars are completely infested as well). The house maintained temps between 140-158 for 6+ hours and immediately the same night we already feels mites crawling on us. This is the second heat treatment within in 2 weeks and the mites just keep coming back relentlessly. I'm at my wits end and feel myself falling into depression. I have tried everything...I mean EVERYTHING with no luck. When this first started we tore out the entire carpets in the house and the mites came right back. So then we decided to do a full remodel and threw away all our old furniture, dressers, beds etc...everything! We proceeded to makeover our home thinking if we thre away all our old belongings and remodeled the home we would be "brand new" and mite free. Soo we put down new tile, new baseboard, new doors, ripped out the air handler and replaced it along with ALL the duct work. Installed UV lights in the new air handler. Place dehumidifiers in every single room of the house. Bought 3 ozone generators and ozone the house on the weekends an stay in a hotel every weekend while ozoning. No matter what they do they come right back within days. I just dont know what to do anymore and I'm feeling so defeated and exhausted. After another failed thermal treatment I'm ready to just throw in the towel and sell the house but my guilt wont allow me to put another family into this nightmare. If anyone has any experience with a situation like mine...please share.

After having no luck with heat treatment and ozone I got right back into researching every crevice of the internet again looking for hope once more. I have come across this Vikane fumigation and would like to get more info on it if possible. Im not able to find a whole lot of info about its use with dust mites so I'm hoping someone here may have used it for mites or at least know if it can work for mites.
    1. Does it work for dust mites and what all stages of the life cycle will it work for? Does it kill the eggs?
    2. How long would we expect to be out of the house? Small single story 1300 sqft block home
    3. Are there any highly recommended providers in the Orlando area?
    4. If there is anything else I need to know or missed.....please share

Thanks for all your inputs!
    BuggyInFLA

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Jan 11 2019 7:45:36
    #

Login to Send PM

The first thing is were mites ever collected from you when you experienced biting?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. BuggyInFLA

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Jan 11 2019 10:25:46
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 2 hours ago  » 
    The first thing is were mites ever collected from you when you experienced biting?

No, they do not bite. The entomologist came to my house yesterday and gather samples confirming they are dust mites aka paper mites. Which because they dont bite and we only feel them crawling on us i have assumed for months they were dust mites...and it was confirmed yesterday.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Jan 11 2019 11:47:23
    #

Login to Send PM

BuggyInFLA - 1 hour ago  » 

loubugs - 2 hours ago  » 

No, they do not bite. The entomologist came to my house yesterday and gather samples confirming they are dust mites aka paper mites. Which because they dont bite and we only feel them crawling on us i have assumed for months they were dust mites...and it was confirmed yesterday.

Actually there is no mite that is really called a paper mite. The term is used for unexplained crawling or biting sensations usually attributed to paper dusts and fibers because this unexplained phenomenon occurred in offices and in areas where much paper was stored.
    BuggyInFLA: After a treatment "and immediately the same night we already feels mites crawling on us. "
    Not biting, but have any mites been collected from your skin when the sensation of crawling (formication) occurs?

5. BuggyInFLA

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Jan 11 2019 12:34:42
    #

Login to Send PM

No offense buddy, but I'm not on here looking to be patronized or given history lessons. I have the diagnosis from the professional already. Now I'm looking for help and Info

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Jan 11 2019 17:37:27
    #

Login to Send PM

BuggyInFLA - 4 hours ago  » 
    No offense buddy, but I'm not on here looking to be patronized or given history lessons. I have the diagnosis from the professional already. Now I'm looking for help and Info

You asked for information. House dust mites are ubiquitous. I PM'd you for the name of the FL entomologist. You can list his name here if you want. I've worked with people with the exact same issues as you have. There's something else going on that is being overlooked.
    It's a valid point. When you feel the crawling sensations have you collected mites directly from your skin so you can definitely say that the mites are there and crawling on you?
    Regarding the samples that your entomologist examined, were vacuum samples or tape samples collected? Were they collected some other way? Were those samples collected from your skin when the crawling sensations occurred?

7. BuggyInFLA

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Sat Jan 12 2019 7:48:28
    #

Login to Send PM

ahh ok. His samples were collected from glue traps placed in each vehicle and then 2 inside the home. He took one with him to drop off to USF in tampa to collect further info but I wont get those results until next week my guess

8. BuggyInFLA

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Sat Jan 12 2019 7:50:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Can they live in the insulation in my attic? I have the older style blown in stuff.

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 10 months ago
    Sat Jan 12 2019 12:16:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sure you've read a Wikipedia entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_dust_mite in addition to many others. High incidence of house dust mites is known to contribute to atopic dermatitis (eczema) in some individuals. Many people who experience your symptoms have said that they go away for a few days where everything is fine. They come home, open the door, and the mites immediately come onto them again. Also use of insecticide bombs clear up the problem, but about 3 days later the mites come back. House dust mite feces, shed skins, etc. cause the inhalation and allergy hazard. All of these are in the air and when aerosols are used, the dusts are pushed down to the substrate and only until these get back into the air will symptoms reappear. Benzyl benzoate and tannic acid are 2 compounds in preparations that are used to treat house dust mite infestations. RH below 50% and cooler temperatures will lower house dust mite populations. They do best at temperatures between 68 to 77 degrees F (20 to 25 degrees C) and humidity levels of 70 to 80%. You might have a contact reaction to airborne antigens which also can include molds. Possibly you have skin reactions but not where any mite (or anything) is actually crawling on the skin.
    If the climatic conditions are met including food requirements, then the mites can thrive.

10. BuggyInFLA

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Tue Mar 19 2019 9:46:35
    #

Login to Send PM

So 2 months later and I'm still dealing with this nightmare. I have since removed all the insulation in the attic and have now started ripping off drywall in the home to vaccum the wall voids out. The winter was had a little relief but now that it is heating up here in central florida the critters have gotten worse lately. I bought a ulv fogger from curtis dyna fog and I have been fogging the attic and living area of the home out daily for 5 weeks now with permethrins and Nisus hospital grade disinfectant and the mites just keep coming back the same day. I just dont know what else to do. I have s local pco looking into vikane for my problem and hes doing his research but he is very hesitant to take my money and treat the house because he says hes never dealt with an issue like mine. Thermal was a failure both times and fogging the house gives us a little relief to get through the night but if I miss one or two days of fogging it gets really bad and uncomfortable. Plus I'm afraid that having these constant chemicals lingering in the home all the time is taking a toll on me and my sons. Loubugs I would love to be able to get more samples analyzed. If it is possible to get you some samples please let me know how to collect them and where to send them. I need more info and help.

11. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 months ago
    Tue Mar 19 2019 13:46:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Are you vacuuming to collect samples, used tape to collect from surfaces, etc.

12. BuggyInFLA

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Tue Mar 19 2019 14:14:47
    #

Login to Send PM

That's what I'm asking. How should I collect them? And where and how to send them? I will pay whatever your cost is. Also will vikane kill dust mite eggs?(if that is what I am dealing with). What's worse is I now think I have intestinal arcasias from these bugs. I really need to find a solution to protect my kids health

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,659 posts in 50,009 topics over 154 months by 21,868 of 22,349 members. Latest: fightingback, Jenloaa, pleasestop