Minor Infestation? Need feedback.

(7 posts)
  1. Tbd1492

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue May 3 2016 20:11:46
    #

Login to Send PM

So my wife and I discovered bed bugs last Wednesday evening. Although it has been going on for upwards of 6 months. At first we did not know what the deal was, but at the time my wife was on some medication and the doctors said it was giving her a rash and that it could take up to a year for the rash to fully subside. So we sort of moved on, accepting the diagnosis. This was back in Nov/Dec and the bites started in Oct. Meanwhile we were periodically tearing the bed apart and washing/drying and examining the bed what we thought was thoroughly just to be able to fully rule out bed bugs or some other bug. We never could find any traces. Her bites (which we thought was a rash) would come and go, and at one point seemed to be going away or so we thought. In about the last month the bites got worse. We recently took a trip and she did not get any bites the entire 4 night trip we were gone. Once we were home, bites started again and this time it was worse. Maybe like 15-20 bites within the first 2 nights we were home. I examined the bed again and was finally able to see bugs. So after carefully exploring the bed I was only able to find maybe 30 live bugs and they were all located on the box spring, metal frame and a few on the bed skirt. Any bug I found I killed. We disposed of the mattress and all bedroom furniture, although I only found 1 dead bug underneath a felt pad on the bottom of one of our nightstands. I found what appeared to be another dead bug under our heat register in the floor and 2 others in the air vent near our ceiling and one dead in the window sliding track. Since getting rid of the bed/furniture we have cleaned like crazy. Laundered and bagged all clothing, bedding, towels etc. We have used a combination of pesticide (bed bug specific) and DE powder. She has not been bitten since. I want to be optimistic but also realistic. How many more could there be? What are the chances we have transferred them in our most recent trip. The duffle bag we used was kept under our bed. I searched it afterwards and did not find any traces of them. How long do we need to keep DE on our laminate and tile floor? Only carpet in our basement, the main floor and upstairs where our bedroom is located do not have any carpet. Our bedroom has a rug but that has been vacuumed and sprayed and bagged. We are basically drying our bedding every night on high for 30 min and have very minimal clothing either hung up or in a plastic bin with a lid. This is awful! How long do we need to live like this?

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed May 4 2016 7:36:49
    #

Login to Send PM

If the bugs were just confined to one room, you should start a 30 day countdown from the time you found your last live insect. Did you check the back of the headboard?

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. Tbd1492

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed May 4 2016 12:20:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes we checked behind headboard. Used a paper thin item to run through cracks in headboard and under baseboards. Removed all outlet covers. None of those efforts turned up any bugs. We found 1 dead bug last night in some of the DE we spread along the floor and baseboard but that is it. All bedroom furniture and bed have been disposed of. We are sleeping on a tall air mattress with DE spread around. What else should we be doing? We have a small dog that sleeps in with us. How likely could it be him transferring them around?

4. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed May 4 2016 17:57:40
    #

Login to Send PM

The bugs would prefer a human over an animal. It would be wise to just to keep the pet out of the room for the next 30 days.

5. Tbd1492

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed May 4 2016 22:16:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the feedback. Is it normal/realistic that if this has indeed been bed bugs the whole time (7 Months) that we would only find 30 live bugs at the most? And would it be safe to say that any eggs would have been on the box spring since that is where most of the bugs were?

6. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu May 5 2016 8:05:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Doubtful you would only have 30 bugs if you had a problem for seven months. They like to lay the eggs near the harborage.

7. Tbd1492

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue May 10 2016 23:14:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Update- we found a live bug tonight. It seemed to be disoriented and struggling from the DE I assume but nonetheless it was alive. It apprwared that it had not fed for a bit. We also found 1 dead one in the DE Tonight and 2 dead ones late last week. Still no bugs have been found outside our bedroom. And my wife has not had any bites that we are aware of. 90% of our clothing is still in bags from laundering and we are still sleeping on an air bed. We still have DE spread around our room. Is there something else we should be doing? Or is it best to just continue sleeping in here and keep letting them come for us and get caught by the DE? Also, can they climb up an air mattress? Or would the plastic be too smooth for them?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,511 posts in 45,805 topics over 139 months by 20,173 of 20,970 members. Latest: bloomington, Crisbug, provilink