Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Mini-Series on Bed bugs on Animal Planet sunday night

(8 posts)
  1. Bed Bug Epidemic

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jan 6 2011 17:32:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Animal Planet's new mini-series "Infested" (featuring a true bed bug story) to air on Sunday, January 9th at 8:00pm, e/p

~Lauren

2. feastedupon

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jan 19 2011 16:18:32
    #

Login to Send PM

They're also now looking for subjects in the 5 boroughs - it looks like they'll subsidize the entire treatment for free:

http://www.brokelyn.com/animal-planet-to-your-pest-rescue/

3. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jan 20 2011 19:46:17
    #

Login to Send PM

saw the show on animal planet...pretty distressing since the couple spent close to $18,000.US dollars they finally used the heat treatment...after trying many other options...most people do not have that kind of money.

4. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jan 21 2011 8:21:27
    #

Login to Send PM

My husband watched it and was awake all night, itching. I wonder why our real life problem never bothered him as much as the show bothered him.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jan 21 2011 11:24:29
    #

Login to Send PM

You'll notice that only adult bed bugs were used in the show so the audience couldn't appreciate that approximately 5/6 of the crawling population are not that easy to see. And in addition to that, the eggs are small and also will be deposited for the most part in hidden areas, basically out of view so as not to be easily located by a person who may be searching for living insects, shed skins, egg shells, and fecal traces.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. Bed Bug Epidemic

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jan 21 2011 12:57:29
    #

Login to Send PM

kingsally-
    it's true.
    if you asked me at the time I'd say we did not have that kind of money to spend at all. We are a normal family with moderate income. Two kids, lots of bills. When things got that bad, we found a way. We actually let other bills slip, took out loans, emptied a small savings account to get the thermal in the end.

toldedo,
    the show had us up too, even though we know we don't have them anymore and it was our own story. Somehow, seeing it with all the dramatization was very disconcerting!

loubugs, i know...they didn't make it very clear how hard they can be to see at certain stages. I spoke for 2 hours- they took very little of what I said. Well, it's better than nothing!

Lauren

7. KateBod

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Mar 28 2011 5:01:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Lauren

I hope you were pleased with the results? and I am SO pleased you are still bug free!

You were most people's favourite case study. It seems your story really struck a nerve.

I'm taking on board the lack of coverage on how small the nymphs and eggs are, that is certainly something we can address in the next series. There's always a lot more to say, so hopefully we can do it next time round

The link that feastedupon posted is not to our show, but we are really keen to find more case studies. I think it's interesting the the TV show is offering to do the treatment for people, but our show is about the real life battle of how 'real' people can combat their infestation.

What kind of feedback have you had after the show? I hope it's all been positive?

If you have any more feedback for us on things you think should be covered in the next series do let us know.

And of course if you can recommend someone for us to chat to about their bed bug situation we'd love to hear from them.

Many thanks

Kate

kate.boddington@darlowsmithson.com

8. Bed Bug Epidemic

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Apr 26 2011 15:26:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, Kate, Thanks. Happy to still be bug free!

Doing an interview like that has both positive and negative feedback, I expected that. I took it personally at first but don't really care anymore. All in all, mostly positive feedback from people expressing how hopeless they felt and that my story gave them hope and confidence to get through it.

Please, stay in touch should you need anything further. You have my personal email address.

Lauren

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,234 posts in 50,144 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,416 members. Latest: Bery10, plsnopls, Ldrago