(3 posts)
  1. bbbitten

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Aug 27 2008 12:34:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    I've read that when you do the bed isolation thing your suppose to put the bed up on risers, fill a bowl with mineral spirits, put double sided tape and vaseline on the bed legs. Isn't the mineral spirits a contact killer? Can't I just do the risers and mineral spirits? I'm asking because I have an antique bed and I don't really want to put double sided tape or vaseline on it.
    thanks.

2. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Aug 27 2008 12:53:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I think--and I should be clear, I didn't fully isolate the bed--that it's a matter of one or the other of those techniques, not all of them.

If you're putting the bed feet in containers with mineral oil in them, and you keep the moats full of mineral oil, that should be enough without vaseline/double sided tape.

Maybe people who've done this would have a better idea that I do.

If the frame is metal, steaming the frame would help make sure you'd killed any in the frame. If it's painted wood, I would be careful with steam. My steamer chipped paint off the interior of my cabinets. If it's wood, inspection, dusting food grade DE, and careful use of Murphy's oil soap might be enough to eliminate most bugs in the frame.

3. HateThem

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Aug 27 2008 21:49:31
    #

Login to Send PM

By bed is isolated and I just have the bed posts sitting in metal plates filled with mineral oil. No double sided tape or vaseline. It seems to be working. I did get bit twice a couple of nights ago, but the bug may have come from my wood bed frame.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,394 posts in 50,185 topics over 156 months by 21,932 of 22,432 members. Latest: Ladybug1993, PROJECTD168, Kimmmie46