Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

[mild infestation?] with pics. from bug sighting to nest in one day. sure thing?

(12 posts)
  1. ohnoabug

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 25 2010 23:22:10
    #

Login to Send PM

So, this morning I woke up and looked next to me and saw this little creature, which I posted about to identify earlier in this thread, Is this a bedbug in my bed?.
    http://i.imgur.com/oPWzA.jpg

I went home after work and did some investigating this and came up with some refuse in the corner under my mattress on my bedspring. Right near my head..

The funny(?) part is that I don't notice any bites? No itching, redness, bumps, etc. My cat sleeps with me at night but he hasn't been acting any stranger than usual.. I have to presume the bug in the picture above was feeding on one of us, but maybe I'm in that 30%(?) that doesn't react allergically?

Here are some more pics; adults, casings, juveniles.. not quite sure about eggs yet. Not quite sure what to do tonight, either. Going to do some more research here, I guess.

http://imgur.com/nxYMt.jpg
    http://imgur.com/e8Z6P.jpg
    http://imgur.com/vdgF9.jpg
    http://imgur.com/5RVN8.jpg
    http://imgur.com/Ev9Vv.jpg
    http://imgur.com/ZNVy9.jpg

Would anyone care to venture a guess as to how bad this problem is? I feel lucky to have noticed this morning, especially not noticing any bites of any kind (although I feel suspiciously itchy ALL OVER now, BLECH!).

No new furniture or clothing for a while now, not sure where it came from. Suspect the neighbor's hoarding sanctuary next door..

ohnoabug

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 25 2010 23:37:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Could be about a month but very hard to tell without a full picture. When I say picture I mean deeper inspection. What you found is 1 local hot spot, don't know if there are more.

Good Luck in the fight! Get surrounding apartments inspected if you're in a multi unit building.

3. ohnoabug

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 25 2010 23:44:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your feedback! Hoping to get a PCO out tomorrow, landlord out of state..

4. ohnoabug

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 25 2010 23:48:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Moreover, can I clean up what I've found with some packing tape so that I can sleep knowing that at least the bugs I can find are gone? I read conflicting reports of what to clean up before PCO and what not to.

5. ohnoabug

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 25 2010 23:59:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I wish there was more information about "so you found a small hot spot of bed bugs on your box spring, now what?"

- What cleaning measures can I take tonight before PCO instructions/inspection tomorrow?

- What should I do about coming into work tomorrow? Now that I know about it, what steps can I take to prevent spreading it to work (if I haven't already)?

- What can I do about my car to keep it as clear as possible of BBs to prevent cross contamination?

Thanks for any info!

ohnoooobugs!

6. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 26 2010 0:16:01
    #

Login to Send PM

You can use tape to pickup whatever is remaining. Place the tape into a ziploc for evidence but the mattress will also show fecal traces for that as well. Don't panic! The bugs have been there a while already so just try and reduce the numbers physically tonight before sleep. Spend a good hour searching the box spring inside and out and remove anything you find with the tape. Check the seams, handles, pleats, and tags on the mattress.

Carefully pull off the plastic bumper guards at the 4 corners of the box spring and make sure you check all along the bottom of the box spring batting. They will be sitting right on the staples that holds the batting on. I would even pull the batting off and go to the inside of the box spring . Check under the fabric that is stapled to the wood framing of the box also. Take it step by step, keep your eyes wide open and watch to see if anything is moving in the area you are working as well as the areas you're not. If you can somehow duct tape two fitted sheets together to encase the box spring that will hold you over for tonight as well. If you have a head board .. its a hot spot and if there was any storage under the bed, seal that into a trash bag tonight.

If you have a dryer you can run anything you plan to wear tomorrow through it for 30 minutes and seal it into a bag. Shoes included. Shower in the AM and put the clean cloths on.

Use the search feature and you will find many helpful tips for these types of questions. I'm sure others will come along with some input as well.

7. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 26 2010 0:21:43
    #

Login to Send PM

PCO's each have their own protocol, so I'm not sure what to tell you.

Whatever you do, do not throw away your specimens. Show it to your PCO and also save it to show your landlord.

It's kind of late now if you're on the east coast, but you should take some outfits that you plan to wear either hot wash with detergent and dry on high heat for at least 20-30 mins AFTER the clothes are DRY. If your clothes are clean, then you can bypass the washing machine and just dry on high heat for 20-30 mins. I'm paranoid, so I high heat dry for 60 mins. It's the heat that kills all stages of bbs, adult, nymphs AND eggs. Put them in ziplock bags or seal them in plastic bags so that you have fresh clean clothes for work. Change into them just before you leave the house. That should help with not spreading them to work or into your car. Also, you may want to spray the bottom of your shoes with 91% alcohol. It is only a contact killer (no residual effects) , but if there is a bb is on your shoes, it'll kill it.

You may want to look into purchasing a PACKTITE for items that can't be put into the washing machine or dry cleaned. e.g. books, shoes, etc.

Hope this helps a little.

8. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 26 2010 0:23:20
    #

Login to Send PM

oops. looks like KQ already posted. He's awesome!!! Love you KQ!!!!!

9. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 26 2010 0:34:55
    #

Login to Send PM

looks like KQ already posted. He's awesome!!! Love you KQ!!!!!

Killer Queen is a he? Now, I have to change my whole mental image ...

-rs1971

10. ohnoabug

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 26 2010 0:44:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been sitting and reading this forum obsessively for the last 4 hours or so.

The waves of shock I've gone through have been quelled, if only slightly, by the insight and experience that you all share.

Thank you all for your contributions in general and also to my case in particular.

11. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 30 2010 0:57:28
    #

Login to Send PM

paul.hibbert - 23 minutes ago  » 
    eeewww yuck! Bed bugs are disgusting and they're a pain in the butt to deal with! I had em attack my place. I was stuck because everyone I called wanted to come in with harsh chemicals and I have kids in the house. But I lucked out! I found a non-toxic, quick and effective solution. check these guys out if you're in the middle of a bed bug war! They were very professional and extremely effective http://www.decongreeninc.com

Are you affiliated with them by any chance?

12. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 30 2010 1:49:50
    #

Login to Send PM

The only thing I can say from looking at those pictures is that I GUESS that you are one of the percentage of people who do not suffer a reaction to bedbugs. Youre seeing visual signs, but not feeling bites? Bed bugs feed about once a week.

A PCO is coming and thats great! But don't discount the possibility that because you found a nest that there may be smaller nests further from the bed. From what I understand, bedbugs set up 'suburbs' further away from the bed when the feeding area is too crowded.

and good luck!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,406 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams