Middle of a Custody Battle and Now BBs

(8 posts)
  1. TerribleTiming

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sat Mar 31 2018 8:54:51
    #

Login to Send PM

So, about a week ago two of my children began complaining of some itching. I found some suspect looking bites on my oldest daughter's arm, ankles, and back and some suspect bites at my second daughter's hairline. I have two cats, I thought fleas. They're on rx strength flea meds and I work with animals and know fleas well. So after my ex husband (with whom I'm in a current custody stand off) mentioned bed bugs I was hesitant to think it was them. The kids had been on vacation with him in a hotel over the weekend and popped up with the bites about three days later. So I began searching my mattress and box spring, which is where I found a couple blood stains, one exoskeleton, and two dead bed bugs.

Called my landlord and pest control is coming Tuesday. So right now I'm in the process of taking everything out of our closets, washing and drying on hot, bagging in garbage bags. Tossing a lot of old junk along the way. I already threw out my box springs and am ordering mattress covers right now. Should I just toss all the kids stuffed animals? Or would it be enough to put them in the dryer? My pest control people said that I should NOT do any booster treatments before, during, or after the treatment. Does this seem right? Should I just go ahead and get some DE and use it as a precaution? I've not seen any live bugs. I found no evidence of the bugs in my children's rooms. Just my box spring. I can't afford to get a new mattress or mattress pad right now so those are just getting wrapped up when the treatment is over. I don't know what else to do, but this process of cleaning everyone's clothes with myself and four kids is a mess. And Easter is tomorrow. Agh!!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun Apr 1 2018 0:51:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry about all that.

Don’t add your own treatments— let the pros do it.

Keep in mind a hot dryer is enough— if you’re washing already-washed clothing, you don’t need to re-wash it. A half hour in a hot dryer should do it. Stuffed animals can usually be dried on hot too (watch out for delicate or plastic parts).

It sounds like you caught it early so stay strong and it should be over soon.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Pattycake

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun Apr 1 2018 9:26:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Put what’s clean and needed in totes or large zip locks. Try not to clean everything. As stated above, if it’s clean just dry it. Remember, once it’s clean it must be packed securely. Keep what’s really important to a minimum so it won’t be so overwhelming. Sorry you are going through all this at such a difficult time. Try and take care of yourself, this will be stressful. Show them what your made of. And keep in mind they are only bugs and tiny ones at that. Oh and use your dishwasher for some toys. If yours is anything like mine you can’t touch a damn thing when it’s drying. Good luck!

4. TerribleTiming

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Apr 4 2018 16:46:05
    #

Login to Send PM

So I have gotten pest control out and they've done their first treatment. I think I messed up by not securing my bags well enough though. Most of them were outside, but I think I'm going to have to rewash a lot. I'm definitely freaking out. I also think I've found a bed bug in my car. I'm going to scour my car and see what else I find but I found that relatively easily. My apartment complex is paying for my apartment treatment, but I feel like I will need to pay for my car. Ugh. Can anyone look at this photo and tell me what they think. Strange Bug https://imgur.com/gallery/zokfR

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Apr 4 2018 16:52:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hold on there, is the bug in the photo what you also found when searching your bed, because that's not even close to a bed bug.
    Have you Googled images of bed bugs?

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  6. TerribleTiming

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Apr 4 2018 16:56:00
    #

Login to Send PM

No, that was found while searching my car. Believe me, I've been googling bed bug photos like a maniac and now I've found this bug in my car. And what appears to be an exoskeleton from that same kind of bug. I'm going to do another search later of my car, but if it's not a bed bug, what other mofo bug have I managed to pick up? Argh

7. TerribleTiming

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Apr 4 2018 16:56:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Is it possibly a larval stage bed bug?

8. Pattycake

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Apr 4 2018 18:24:45
    #

Login to Send PM

It doesn’t look like a bed bug to me, but the pic wasn’t too clear. I’m sure all sorts of insects make their way into our cars. You can monitor your car to see if anything shows up. I’ve read on here that is hard to treat a car. So I would look for more evidence before losing any sleep.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,327 posts in 46,290 topics over 141 months by 20,404 of 21,244 members. Latest: Bedbughelp, Anxietykilledme, Jwag0327