Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Mid-moving mystery bites - avoid infesting mother-in-law?

(2 posts)
  1. slowly going crazy am i

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Apr 24 2016 23:53:47
    #

Login to Send PM

We recently sold our small very rustic cabin and have been packing up and moving. Two weeks ago I got a few bites at night and then last week both my husband and I have been getting a few bites every night or two.

I haven't found anything positively confirming bedbugs, though I have been crawling around with a headlamp and tape and a camera and making myself positively bonkers. The cabin, however is made of unsealed boards, so there are about a million and a half places that the buggers could hide.

I've washed our sheets and clothes in hot water and hot dried them twice, and have begun separating clothes into XXL ziploc bags - clean and dirty.

We tried heat treating the whole cabin ( 10x10 box with a woodstove, it's practically a sauna), which was probably stupid and a little scary but luckily didn't burn it down. We've both gotten bites since that happened.

We've gotten rid of all our furniture (because of the move, before the bites started) and shipped most of our belongings to the new location. In some ways it is a relief to be moving to somewhere else, but I am terrified that we will somehow transport bedbugs to my mother-in-law's house where we will be staying for a while.

1. How can we avoid infesting places we stay?

- My general idea is to keep all our belongings isolated (is out in a garage isolated enough?) and shower and change and bag clothes immediately after travel. Then heat treat everything before it enters the house, maybe with a PackTite or similar. It's going to be quite a bit of stuff once the shipped stuff gets there (several pallet loads). It all seems like an enormous undertaking with unsure results and I don't even know for sure if it is bedbugs!

2. Are there companies that could disinfect all our belongings when they are not in a house?

3. Ugh?!?!!!! Bleaaah.... Boo!!!!

Thanks in advance.

2. FoundASpot

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 26 2016 17:08:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Vikane gas is a treatment many people who are moving use. Vikane is the same gas used to kill termites, but used at higher concentrations for bedbugs. All of your belongings get loaded inside a sealed moving van, and the van is gassed overnight.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,803 posts in 50,043 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen