Mental state post exposure: opinion needed for support

(4 posts)
  1. MayDay

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu May 17 2018 19:05:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I recently purchased a children's book via online. When I received it I was just disappointed to see that at the end there is a rhyme that is a play on the old "bed bug song" referencing the pests. I contacted the Author and discussed the matter with her Assistant. She was minimally sympathetic to my plight. I requested a refund and sent 3 quotes (with appropriate citing) that backed my claim of mental anguish in relation to the mention of the pest. I received a simple reply confirming the return. End of story.

Except, I received this days later, (Andrea is the Author)

"Hey (name omitted) - Andrea here! So sorry you don't approve of the books. I actually got the rhyme from my recently-deceased Grandfather, Jim, and this last page is written in his honor and memory, actually. So, yeah, never ever ever gonna change that page, sorry. I'm sorry you've chosen to take this children's book rhyme literally, and I sincerely hope you find something that works better for you.

There is no need to respond or send more links about bed bugs. I am fully educated on them (my brother is an exterminator by trade).

Andrea"

I feel extremely offended. Am I over reacting?

Here is the other email I had initially received from the Assistant,

"I'm so sorry to hear that your family has gone through something so terrible.
    This is an old rhyme - folklorish - historical, though. It's something people in their 80s still say to their great-grandchildren. That's all.
    Andrea will not be revising the book but thank you so much for your insight.

xx Ana"

Please share your thoughts. I'm feeling alone on this.

2. bugged-cdn

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu May 17 2018 21:41:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Please share your thoughts.

You're severely over reacting.

3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri May 18 2018 8:42:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Take into consideration the rhyme's very existence.
    Bed bugs used to be a common thing before WWII. So just two generations ago our families had to deal with them. If the words were so traumatizing do you think you'd even recognize the rhyme?

They dealt with bed bugs and lived on, so can you. Speaking to a professional might help.
    It's cool that the author took the time to write you back.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri May 18 2018 8:43:43
    #

Login to Send PM

You've posted the replies but you never posted the message you sent to the author. That would give us more insight into your issue.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

273,660 posts in 44,814 topics over 137 months by 19,670 of 20,375 members. Latest: Aryn, JASM, Tashagene