Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

Mental health issues due to prolonged exposure?

(5 posts)
  1. sadghostie

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Jun 10 2019 11:07:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all.

I am mostly posting on these forums to keep myself accountable, and log what will hopefully be the end of a 10 year journey of living with bed bugs.

I am going to be 24 in July, and have been living with bed bugs since I was 14 (and still am, desperately trying to get out of this situation).

At 19, I had a psych eval because I was worried about my mental health. I already knew I was suffering depression and anxiety, and was pretty well given that exact diagnosis. Major depression, general anxiety disorder, social anxiety, and agoraphobia.

I think new things have developed since then, if that's even possible.The next time I see my doctor, I am pushing hard to get a psych eval. I am pretty damn sure that I have developed PTSD throughout this experience (I can physically feel them crawling on my skin when they aren't actually there, especially if I'm under the covers), and I show signs of having BPD.

But the thing is... How can I be honest with the psychiatrist if I'm scared to tell them about my bed bug story? Even my doctor doesn't know (I did tell her back when I started seeing her, but I think she forgot.) I don't want to be kicked out of their office, and I don't want to bring bed bugs there. I don't want to be flagged or anything. I just want mental help for what I am facing!

Is there anyone else that has told a (mental)health professional that they're living with bed bugs? What was your experience? Anything to stop my paranoid mind from running around...

2. Scared88

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Jun 10 2019 11:14:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Firstly, give yourself some relief from the fear of spreading the bugs by taking proper precautions before leaving the house (read the FAQ for this). Secondly, any professional psychiatrist will not forbid you from the office if you disclose your issue (similar to how they can't just run and tell you business to everyone). You can tell them you are taking necessary precautions not to spread, etc.

Finally, I don't know your situation of course, but you are 24 years old. I sincerely hope you are working on planning your future so you can get out of the house you are in and on your own 2 feet where you can control your own situation.

Best of luck to you.

3. sadghostie

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Jun 10 2019 11:24:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Scared88 - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Firstly, give yourself some relief from the fear of spreading the bugs by taking proper precautions before leaving the house (read the FAQ for this). Secondly, any professional psychiatrist will not forbid you from the office if you disclose your issue (similar to how they can't just run and tell you business to everyone). You can tell them you are taking necessary precautions not to spread, etc.
    Finally, I don't know your situation of course, but you are 24 years old. I sincerely hope you are working on planning your future so you can get out of the house you are in and on your own 2 feet where you can control your own situation.
    Best of luck to you.

I will most definitely look at this FAQ. I have my own methods to prevent spreading them (putting my clothes in air tight bins after running them through a high heat dryer cycle- usually twice if possible), but it can never hurt to do more and learn more.

It's good to know that they can't deny me service if I tell them I have this issue. I guess I just hope they don't think of me any differently, or see me as dirty.

If you'd like to see the basics of what my situation is, this is my first post. I live with my parents and make no income currently as I struggle to find work, being an adult with no work experience in a city where jobs are scarce is proving difficult. We're all looking to hopefully move as a family soon.

Planning for a future that I cannot see has been difficult, but I'll be damned if I can't say I'm trying my hardest. I truly am, and that's why I want to go get the mental help I need.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Jun 10 2019 12:00:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If you would like to spend some time talking I can send you Skype of FB messenger / WhatsApp details for me.

If I can offer you any advise it’s that trauma can be worked through and doing so makes you a much stronger person.

Take care.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  5. Suzanne

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Jun 10 2019 16:23:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I sought treatment (and am still going) and yes I told
    My therapist.

I am working hard and you can
    Too to get past this. You’ll see I often post here random
    Stupid questions and quite a few bad pics.

I wish you peace. The people on here are awesome. Take
    David yo on his offer if you need to!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,666 posts in 48,867 topics over 151 months by 21,454 of 21,857 members. Latest: frejohansen, Bedbugs47, Ccronk22@gmail.com