Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

Mental health advice

(13 posts)
  1. oceanofbugs7

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu May 11 2017 11:58:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm just curious if someone can recommend a good support group or possible professional psychiatrist for someone suffering continuous breakdowns.
    Money is a huge issue. It doesn't exist. So, I'm looking for free or as close to free as I can find.
    There is no money for treatment, slip covers, Packtites, Cimexa, nothing really. Just some rubbing alcohol, some spray , and some poison powder my wife came home with one day. We only have access to laundry by laundromat, through public transportation (no car).
    Then there's the mountains of trash. My wife calls it stuff, but I see just trash. She's a hoarder. There's barely room to walk in any room in the house. Even if we ever managed to afford a professional, this place would probably be his worst nightmare.
    We've been fighting for a couple of months. I begged and pleaded with her to declutter. I did what I could, but kept hitting the brick wall of "this is her stuff and I can't touch it without ending up divorced". 99.9 % of the stuff is hers anyway. She's also a procrastinator. You have to remind her to do something a thousand times over and over again on a good day.
    I'm dealing with health issues, so she's the breadwinner and I guess I'm the "househusband". I'm stuck home all day just feeling overwhelmed. What effort I put in is unraveled within minutes and there are no kids in the house!
    We are probably light to moderate level (about 4 months in). It is difficult to tell. We can't seal up everything like a normal family could because we are currently in a house with forced air and every window, every floor, every ceiling, every wall is one big crack and hiding place. Socket protectors are probably about 2% effective.
    We can't afford to move. We are behind on rent, so we're lucky to have a roof over our head at all. We live in a state where the landlord is supposed to be liable, but with the rent situation and their insistence that they never had bugs, so it's our problem, has put us in a tight situation.
    Of course, they go out and have company over, so they are super vulnerable. My wife goes out. I'm afraid to. I have embarrassing health conditions that make me paranoid in public as it is. Add a bed bug infestation on top of that...
    Maybe I'm just being paranoid to try to explain to my wife that she will lose everything if she doesn't prioritize the one or two things she can't live without. I have said time and again that I want to rent a dumpster and get rid of it all. Of course, I never do. If I did, I'd be throwing out the marriage.
    She is actually doing a little bit of work right now, after who knows how much cajoling. Still, it usually feels that I am completely alone in this fight.
    I watched youtube videos that show millions of bugs covering everything. I live in fear of the day when that happens here.
    We had it rough to begin with. This extra stress has got us to the breaking point. I'm not just trying to save my sanity....

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu May 11 2017 12:20:50
    #

Login to Send PM

It will take some work but you can do this yourself. You need to get your wife on board with the process for both physical and mental help and support. Decluttering needs to happen if you want to be 100% clear of bed bugs, but there are also steps to keep their numbers down to a manageable level if the decluttering will lead to divorce.
    Can bed bugs live in the clutter, of course; but ideally they want to be close to their food source. If you can clear the areas of your bed that offer the best real estate to the bed bugs and keep cleaning those areas you should be able to knock down their numbers. The piping and seams, tags and flaps of mattresses and box springs are favorite hang-outs for bed bugs. The frame may also have some nice hiding spots that should be checked as well. A spray bottle of water/alcohol mixture makes a nice contact killer, once a week go through those areas on the bed and kill as many bugs as you can, freeing up that space for other bed bugs to move in. A desiccant like Cimexa or DE can be used in addition to cleaning the common harborage areas if its in the budget.
    Fellow member Paul Bello, user ID pbello has posted a metric ton of DIY information, search out some of his posts for better instruction.

3. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu May 11 2017 15:09:02
    #

Login to Send PM

BD,

After using a contact killer and/or steam, and then a dust to drop the population in the sleeping area, what is the recommended waiting time to repeat the process after new bugs start to move toward that area? How many repeats are usually needed for small or moderate infestations?

Related, how fastidious do you have to be removing the dust from the first application before starting the cycle over again with a contact cleaner/and or steam?

Lastly, using this method of focusing on the bed area with repeated treatments at intervals, why is it really necessary to spend large amounts of time treating other areas and things such as closets, clothing, drawers, books, unused couches, clothing, electronics and other stuff away from the sleeping area? Wouldn't the bed bugs come out by themselves to feed in the sleeping area where you then get them?

Thanks for any help.

Richard

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu May 11 2017 15:45:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard56 - 35 minutes ago  » 
    BD,
    Lastly, using this method of focusing on the bed area with repeated treatments at intervals, why is it really necessary to spend large amounts of time treating other areas and things such as closets, clothing, drawers, books, unused couches, clothing, electronics and other stuff away from the sleeping area? Wouldn't the bed bugs come out by themselves to feed in the sleeping area where you then get them?
    Thanks for any help.
    Richard

That is what I am hoping for in such a treatment style.

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu May 11 2017 15:48:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard56 - 36 minutes ago  » 
    BD,
    After using a contact killer and/or steam, and then a dust to drop the population in the sleeping area, what is the recommended waiting time to repeat the process after new bugs start to move toward that area? How many repeats are usually needed for small or moderate infestations?
    Related, how fastidious do you have to be removing the dust from the first application before starting the cycle over again with a contact cleaner/and or steam?

Personally, I would clean the bed of bed bugs every two weeks, but that's just my formula. Paul will most likely have more insight on such a treatment, but he's not around.

6. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu May 11 2017 16:58:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. Two weeks I believe is consistent with what Franco used to do in his steam only protocol.

I may do a new thread on this at some time in the future, as I've always wondered the necessity of all the prep, clothes, stuff, and non bedroom furniture treatment which is often recommended.

Seems that as long as you are patient and following a strategy of acting as bait and treating the bed zone every couple of weeks, it would seem that by the third treatment or so, all the bugs would have come out of hiding and died. This would save a ton of time for the homeowner.

On the other hand, that approach might then take 2-4 weeks, while a blietzkrieg approach could mean they're all gone in one treatment.

The caveat I guess would be that you might have to take some precautions such as limiting (or eliminating) time spent on couches and chairs so that they would be forced to head for the bed at meal time. Or perhaps you could just additionally treat those items and then isolate them.

Richard

7. BattleoftheBug

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu May 11 2017 19:25:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't forget the sofa. People sit on that, sometimes in the dark, and sit on it, too. I think the BB's wait for meals there, too, and sofa's are notoriously difficult to rid of bugs. I don't think they care if it's day or night on a sofa, just bite when they have the chance. They have deep crevices that are tough to reach with steam. I simply got rid of my couch. I haven't seen any actual bugs yet but that is where I was being bitten--not on my bed.

BD, I am wondering why you think alcohol spray should be mixed with water. Why dilute it?

8. BattleoftheBug

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu May 11 2017 19:27:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Oops, I meant people sit and sleep on the sofa.

9. InsaneInTheBugBrain

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jul 31 2017 19:02:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I am in a similar situation. Clutter in my mom's home and I'm living here. We just discovered them and she won't do ANYTHING!

I have mental health issues and during a prior run in with bad bed bugs, i hade a complete nervous breakdown. Ended up in institution over it. Now im supposed to just deal??? Let's get real, im going down.

I showed her this pic. She said that's not a bed bug, we don't have them. (i caught it on the carpet tape I've placed around me while i sleep....

10. InsaneInTheBugBrain

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jul 31 2017 19:03:16
    #

Login to Send PM

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jul 31 2017 19:20:59
    #

Login to Send PM

InsaneInTheBugBrain - 17 minutes ago  » 
    I am in a similar situation. Clutter in my mom's home and I'm living here. We just discovered them and she won't do ANYTHING!
    I have mental health issues and during a prior run in with bad bed bugs, i hade a complete nervous breakdown. Ended up in institution over it. Now im supposed to just deal??? Let's get real, im going down.
    I showed her this pic. She said that's not a bed bug, we don't have them. (i caught it on the carpet tape I've placed around me while i sleep....https://www.flickr.com/photos/153292563@N05/36131030652/in/dateposted-public/

InsaneInTheBugBrain,
    Please start a new thread and post your message there.
    This thread is old and was started to get support for someone else. You'll get better support and more readers if you start your own.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  12. InsaneInTheBugBrain

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jul 31 2017 19:35:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks

13. hillfam2019

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Aug 4 2017 3:19:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm so sorry you are going through this. My mother was a hoarder and I understand how difficult it can be to negotiate with someone who literally gets anxiety when they consider throwing something away. It's going to be challenging to deal with the bug issue without dealing with the underlying hoarding issue first. Hopefully you can enlist some mutual friends to help? It's always easier with some support. Sending you strength and empathy. I know the struggle.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,684 posts in 49,527 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982