Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Me in spare room, husband in bb room?

(6 posts)
  1. Mf1616

Posted 11 months ago
    Sat Dec 23 2017 21:37:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello again,

Last post for the night, I promise. (If you haven’t seen my previous post, please respond to that too! http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/please-help-id-this-blood-smear )

If I sleep in the spare room downstairs, and husband sleeps in the room I suspect has bed bugs, will they still follow my downstairs? I react to bed bug bites and show obvious marks, he never shows any. Would this make any difference in them following me downstairs?

Thank you in advance!

2. thirdusername

oldtimer

Posted 11 months ago
    Sun Dec 24 2017 0:08:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Your husband is really brave.
    Bugs won't likely crawl to you but it is possible for them to hitchhike on your husband to get to another room and then eventually to get to you.
    I think I read this is more likely in large infestations.
    It's not 0 risk but I would do it.
    Get a passive monitor for your husband's room.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  3. Mf1616

Posted 11 months ago
    Sun Dec 24 2017 10:18:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, thirdusername

Thanks for the reply. My husband isn’t brave, he’s oblivious. He doesn’t think we have a bb problem, which is why he has no problem sleeping in our bedroom. We do have passive monitors set up; two “bed bug alert” clear ones, and four black “raid” ones which are completely useless as I can’t see what’s in them, even with a flashlight! Pretty sure there’s nothing in them though, and definitely nothing in the clear ones. At this point, I believe the infestation is in its very very early stages, if we do in fact have bb’s (praying we don’t). I will continue to sleep upstairs in our bedroom because I want to see if we actually have them...and as I seem to be the only person who reacts to their bites, I guess I have to be the guinea pig. But good to know there’s not a high chance of them spreading downstairs, assuming husband is very careful about not taking any hitchhikers with him...

For the record, I am NOT an expert.
    My advice/opinion comes from past experience(s) with bed bugs and what I have read on-line.
  4. thirdusername

oldtimer

Posted 11 months ago
    Sun Dec 24 2017 12:57:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I bought those black raid ones too.
    I thought they were useless because I couldn't see in (why can't the top flip up, grr).
    I sent raid feedback but I doubt they'll change it.
    I hope you don't have bed bugs, it'll be a good Xmas present.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 11 months ago
    Mon Dec 25 2017 9:21:06
    #

Login to Send PM

thirdusername - 1 day ago  » 
    Your husband is really brave.
    Bugs won't likely crawl to you but it is possible for them to hitchhike on your husband to get to another room and then eventually to get to you.
    I think I read this is more likely in large infestations.
    It's not 0 risk but I would do it.
    Get a passive monitor for your husband's room.

Hitchhiking is not that bed bugs will be on your husband's body, but if the if they climb on clothing if these happen to be left on the bed or on furniture nearby and he puts them on. Also carrying bedding from one room to another or to a closet would be at high risk for moving them.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. Mf1616

Posted 11 months ago
    Thu Dec 28 2017 15:06:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Loubugs,

Yes, we’re being very careful not to contaminate the bb-free room with bedding, clothes, etc. that have been upstairs. So far, so good. *knock on wood*

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

282,510 posts in 47,004 topics over 143 months by 20,744 of 21,019 members. Latest: Ohnoihopenot, bedbugnitemare, C333