Me again, with a bigger problem!

(6 posts)
  1. ickickick

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 8 2012 21:41:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I am scared pitless. A little information in case you did not see my first post.

I live in NH, in a rented duplex. Our neighbors brought bed bugs with them, they have a SEVERE, HUGE infestation and it's traveled to our apartment in the past month - two months.

We are poor. We cannot afford an exterminator at any cost. I live with my mom and my toddler and my 4 siblings. My mom is making everything so much worse. She told our landlord, who gave us and our neighbor Hot Shot foggers. My neighbor just informed us she wants to do them this weekend.

I have tried many times to tell my mom it's a BAD BAD IDEA but she won't listen. If our neighbor sets those off in her apt. we are going to have a problem SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much worse than it is now. My stomach is in knots, I am going to vomit. I am petrified. Me and my son are being eaten alive as it is. I have some food grade DE, I have been using some around our bed and vaccuming most everyday, changing sheets constantly, slowly decluttering our room, duct tape all around the wall near our bed, outlets/etc. Spraying with alcohol.... ummm... that is really all we CAN do.

We have no hope, there is NO hope for us. Even if my very last option is moving out with NOTHING but my son (not even possible right now, lack of money/help) --- then what? I can never visit my mom and siblings again because she's so STUPID STUPID STUPID to not even give this a care.

I don't know what to do. Can someone please find out for me laws or something for New Hampshire? I am physically unable to do much in regards to reaching out for help myself. I have severe anxiety, I cannot talk to strangers. It's not simple for me to pick up a phone and call the health dept. I don't even think my mom will do it at this point. We are just at war with each other. She thinks the foggers are a good idea.

...... I don't know what to do. This is taking over my life. I cry and cry and cry and cry and cry. I can't EAT, I can't SLEEP for sure. I can't even breathe anymore. I am walking on eggshells. I am losing it. Losing it completely. We need a miracle. We need to go back in time. We need a better landlord. We need a new life. Something, anything.....

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 8 2012 22:46:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Try not to panic. Being anxious can actually become paralyzing and it's important to try to calm down because there are some things you can do.

My advice is twofold:

1. Try to educate your landlord about fogging. I put this first only because it sounds a bit urgent.
    2. Find out local laws which pertain to bed bugs in rentals.

First, fogging: we're told this doesn't solve the problem. While it may make things a bit worse, it's probably not the end of the world. So try not to be overwhelmed with panic.

I recommend giving your landlord some information from a trusted source which warns against fogging to bed bugs. Unfortunately, at this time, local NH bed bug fact sheets (I saw them for Manchester and for the state) and Cooperative Extension and NHBedbugs.com fact sheets don't seem
    to specifically warn against fogging.

We have a FAQ on fogging which links to external sources which advise against it and you might try sharing these with the landlord.

You also need to find out the laws. This Cooperative Extension fact sheet suggests NH landlords are responsible. However, some sources I've seen suggests this is true in NH only if more than one unit has bed bugs. It's best to be sure so I would call.

The Manchester and NH fact sheets and nhbedbugs.com were less clear about the laws. NhBedbugs.com advises calling 211 for information.

When you call 211:

Ask about the local laws re: bed bug treatment, and how to get them enforced.

Assuming treatment is the landlord's responsibility, ask if it's legal for him to hand you a fogger or if he needs to hire a licensed professional.

Once you are armed with this knowledge, you can talk to him about your rights.

I know you said making a phone call like this is hard for you but I know you can do it and while I have dug up all of the information I can for you, the bottom line is you or your mom need to do it. There may be questions which they need to ask you to determine which laws apply.

You can do this!

Please let us know how it goes and what you find out.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 8 2012 22:49:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck, ickickick. Nobugs found a lot of good information for you and I know you have the strength to do this. You are sleep deprived and anxious right now, but things will get better.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  4. ickickick

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 8 2012 22:54:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you. I am beyond relieved that fogging shouldn't put me into an uproar. I am literally at my mom's throat over this assuming that if our neighbor bombs, ALL of her ENORMOUS infestation will come into OUR apartment. I am SCARED, so so so scared.

Thank you for the information on the LL being responsible. I have looked everywhere online for this information to no avail. I will tell my mom to talk to him again but hard telling where that will end.

I just cannot stop thinking, why us? I know it's not fair to anyone - but there is a difference between 'not being able to afford something, but still being ABLE to and doing so' and literally, not even having pennies and there is no actual way to do anything.

Everything I read is going against this. You just can't get rid of them by yourself. I am thinking especially if our neighbors problem is THAT bad. If we leave, we take them with us. If we stay, I am going to need a room in a mental hospital. I want a miracle button.

This is beyond anything I imagined I could or would have to deal with. Overwhelmed is an understatement.

5. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 8 2012 22:58:01
    #

Login to Send PM

You can do it. You just need to break it down step-by-step.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 8 2012 23:08:46
    #

Login to Send PM

You will get through this.

Please don't overlook the step of calling 211 outlined above. You need to confirm the laws as they apply to your specific situation. The other important thing you need to know is whether he can treat or if he needs to HIRE a pro, and also how to get the laws enforced. I would try to call for this info before approaching the landlord. Knowledge is power.

And it is worth trying to educate the landlord about fogging. It may make things worse. But and is worth avoiding if possible. However, it is not the end of the world and you will get through this.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,337 posts in 50,176 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14