May have brought some BBs home with me

(5 posts)
  1. shortygreyhere

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun May 10 2015 21:53:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I worked at my college yesterday from 6:50am -5pm. Spent hours physcially near 25 other people and then about an hour sitting in a lounge chair at the college. Within about 15 minutes of getting up from the lounge chair, I noticed a BB on my pant leg on my thigh. I kind of suspect the BB came from the loungh chair. I immediately recognized it as a BB and then put it on a piece of paper and pulled up pics on Google to compare it to. It was either one or two stages from full adult size. It had a tiny bit of blood in it's abdomen that I could see before and after I smashed it. I really did not take the precautions that I should have to inspect all my possessions before going home and bag up/treat my clothing once I got home. I left the campus at 5pm, but did not get home until 8pm.

Today I have four bites. They don't look at all like mosquito bites, but one of them could be a chigger bite (on my leg), and I suppose one could be a spider bite, but the other two look like nothing I have ever been bitten by before and have a slightly blistered appearance like tiny blisters. Maybe all the bites happened on campus, on the other hand, maybe I brought a few home and what if they breed? I want to be proactive and not live in paranoia that an infestation is developing. I read the dos and don'ts on this site and I want to comply.

Today I washed and dried (really hot for a good 20 minutes past dry) my dirty laundry and it is currently in my kitchen. My mattress is already in an incasement and I bought some Cimexa and I am going to treat my entire apartment with it (my apartment is only 315 sq ft). I just really feel that I cannot sit back and do nothing, especially since treating with Cimexa will cost less than $50. I figured this will increase the likelihood that I could kill any that may have come home with me. After treating with Cimexa I am going to wash and dry all my laundry just in case--should I bag it all or would that be overly cautious?Any feedback?

I also reported the bed bug via email to the facilities staff on campus and a campus administrator. Should I contact them for follow-up to urge that they take this seriously?

2. bbnewbie123

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 11 2015 4:48:36
    #

Login to Send PM

These are good questions and I feel for ya. If I may ask, why didn't you take precautions upon arriving home?

3. shortygreyhere

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 11 2015 9:09:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I was just clueless about what to do. I should have looked things up right away on the internet. I was really curious about BB months ago and had seen a bunch of pictures which is why I recognized it, but I didn't know what to do regarding prevention. Oh well! I can't do anything about the past now!

I read about some research done on cimexa and I am really encouraged by the kill rate. I am going to treat my apartment with it and then see what happens from there. Reading that it is possible to kill them encouraged me a lot.

4. bedbugforce

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 11 2015 11:09:12
    #

Login to Send PM

You can't be too cautious. Take all necessary precautions as you've mentioned. If you want to get an accurate reading you could consider getting a bed bug dog service to come in and confirm if there are any others in your home. This might cost a few hundred or so depending on where you live, but it would most likely alleviate any paranoia since they are very accurate. You definitely don't want to be living with 'what ifs' when it comes to bed bugs.

If you want a cheaper option consider setting up a CO2 trap (google how to do it). This should help draw out any that may be in hiding and help you get a 'temperature' of your situation.

Good luck.

5. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 11 2015 11:33:49
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugforce
    I see we have a new pro on the site & looking at your web page & the your post reply your promote K9 services .
    Question do you verify your k9 ID's ? Do you show them the bug if the dog hits on an area before sales of treatment based on the dog hits ?
    I ask because your web site says

Bed bug dogs (bed bug canines) provide an accuracy rating of 98% or more in determining if you have bed bugs in your home or business.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,776 posts in 45,869 topics over 139 months by 20,196 of 21,002 members. Latest: bbcurious, Zencowboy, Blogger2296