Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Free for all

May be forced to start over completely!

(23 posts)
  1. mp7ski

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Dec 25 2016 10:51:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a family, 2 little girls and an amazing gf. Unfortunately, we found out we have bed bugs at the beginning of the month and have a pretty good idea where they came from. It's been a living hell, haven't been getting bit much lately but they were bad when we found out, likely infesting all our belongings and aren't contained to one or two rooms since it's a small house. Also afraid we have infested family members since our girls stay at their houses a couple days a week.

We threw out more than half our stuff and the landlord had a joke for a pco treat a few days ago. But I can't live like this, I can't let my girls live like this. I need an out. I have about $7000 in my savings and can probably get a personal loan for another 5000 and am considering my options. After reading about all the wasted money on here I'm about to junk both our vehicles and just walk out with nothing except my girls and a few treated pieces of paper (birth certificates, etc.) after taking showers and putting on new clothes. It would be a little more methodical than that but I can't let this happen to my girls... I cant.

I know nothings a guarantee and I know I may spend all that money just to pick them up in the future, but it's killing us. I've lost over ten lbs in 3 weeks and I only weighed 170 to begin with. I drink myself to sleep. I cried multiple times at our family Christmas last night at the thought of not being able to do the same next year due to the risk of infesting others even though I take extreme precautions not to.

My family is very supportive but they just don't know... they don't get this is serious... it's not just a bug... it completely changes your life forever.

I know people think this is excessive but at the same time, you all know how these bugs are, how this lifestyle is. It's not the thought of bugs biting me when I sleep, I can get over that. It's the thought of my girls dealing with it, it's the thought of my family getting infested... it's the thought that this could last forever.

I'm in a position now where I have the money and the means to do it. It's the only way I see us getting out of this.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  2. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Dec 25 2016 13:07:08
    #

Login to Send PM

mp7ski,
    I am so sorry for what you're going through. There are people here who can help you who will hopefully post soon - not sure when since it is a holiday.

3. Livingagain

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Dec 25 2016 16:59:50
    #

Login to Send PM

mp7ski, I'm the queen of the overkill, so I maybe wouldn't be the best to advise you on this, but here are my thoughts:

If you really have given this to your extended family, as you suspect, you could spend all this money and then get them back again at a new place... so running away may not be the best option. Also, you would have to be sure that the place you move doesn't have them already.

I think deserting the cars is unnecessary. If you're willing to spend that much to walk away you could spend a little on cordless heaters, remote thermometers, maybe fans and DDVP strips and gas your cars so you could take them with you. You could do one at a time for two weeks. It would be a bit of a logistical challenge, but you could do it. Maybe time off work would be helpful.

Do you think the rental had bed bugs when you moved in? If so, maybe you could get the deposit back and gas a moving truck to go somewhere else. If you could prove it then maybe you could even get money to gas your belongings. The reference I got from a Vikane co. was a woman who got bed bugs from a moving truck, but I don't know how she proved it.

If you did a good job with the Cimexa you should be seeing results soon. I know more than anyone how hard it is to just wait and see. Use a portable (Pactite type) box heater and be careful to not spread, but you probably can beat them.

When we had them 8 years ago, I spent $10,000 to tent and gas the house ($16,000 total related expenses), but it was worth it. I've had two scares since then, and each time I learn a little more. From what I read about Cimexa, I think it is doable to get rid of them that way. I think Cimexa's easier to use on carpet, though. Not overdoing like you talked about, but try just all the paths for them to get to you, I could clarify if you need info on this. You also have to clear and/or encase mattresses, box springs and frames. But I get the urgent need to get away, I could tell you stories.

It's so hard to wait it out and just fear spreading. Until now, I've never heard anyone express better what exactly my concerns are; it's not me, it's my kids' future. The bugs could walk on me all day and night if the kids still have a good life and future. But thinking about that leads me to downward spirals of anxiety. I hope you're ok. When I had the bugs 8 yrs ago, and then with each scare I have had very dark impulses; but on the other side life is SO GOOD, and so I know you will get through like so many others have, and you'll have a great future for your kids. Seriously best wishes for you and your family.

4. bugged-cdn

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Dec 25 2016 17:56:39
    #

Login to Send PM

You say you aren't getting bitten much lately so give the treatment a chance-- sounds like it's working. The second treatment will hopefully deal with any new hatchings. Our first infestation in 2014 was swiftly resolved after two chemical treatments.

I know you're worried that you may have spread them to other people, but maybe you didn't.

We did recently opt for the scorched earth route, but after 2+ years I'd given up on the landlord's ability to ever bring it under control. Looks like they're just moving them around

It's also true that you can pick them up again after walking away from everything, and that thought is chilling, but every person does what he/she feels is best.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Dec 26 2016 3:12:12
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged-cdn - 9 hours ago  » 
    You say you aren't getting bitten much lately so give the treatment a chance-- sounds like it's working. The second treatment will hopefully deal with any new hatchings.

FWIW, I agree.

Many people become obsessed with worst case scenarios which I believe are quite rare. There's no reason to go scorched earth after one treatment, especially if you've noticed an improvement.

We're told cars rarely get infested. If they are, they can be treated, but without evidence that they are, I wouldn't panic.

I know you want to do what's best for your kids but in the grand scheme of things, it may be worth persisting with treatment for bit longer. (This may not be an extreme case and your family may need or want that money for other things, after all.) You should get follow ups at about 2 week intervals.

What was found in terms of evidence and where?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. mp7ski

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Dec 26 2016 10:39:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the support and advice. But I just feel like this is going to be the worst case senerio soon enough. The pco that was hired by my landlord was a chain pest control company that only cost him $600 and while he spent 40 minutes talking to me, only spent ten in the house treating using an aerosol can of alpine I can buy online for $30, with one follow up coming in 2 weeks using a liquid spray.

Upon inspection, a few bugs were found in the creases of the couches and on the tags of our bed, including a molt on top of the baseboard in our bedroom. I feel the reason the bites have went down is because we disposed of the couches and put encasements on all beds and box springs, not because of the treatment. My girls carried toys, bedding, and stuffed animals from those couches to our bed and to their bed so i know they pretty much infested everything we own.

Im almost positive the vehicles are infested, which kills me cause I just put over 10000 into my truck this summer.

My girls also spend the weekends at relatives houses which won't end anytime soon and I fear they have been infested as well. I also live in a small town in central MI where there are literally no good pcos who deal with bed bugs. I feel lost and to the point where I can't handle this. I'm the only one in my family that gets how truelly serious this is and how bad it can get real quick. My gf finally broke down last night and I'm scared, if my extended family gets them, they don't have the money I do so they will be completely screwed. I'm scared for everyone I know.

I just dont understand how something like this could effect so many people to the degree that it can. It can literally ruin lives as it is doing to me currently. I had plans of buying a house, getting married, and enjoying life... all of which are out the door now. I want to blame the government, I want to blame the epa, I want to blame myself... but I'm to the point I don't care who's fault it is, I just want... no... need this resolved or I fear life is going to come crashing down.

7. mp7ski

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Dec 26 2016 10:39:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Double post

8. bugged-cdn

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Dec 26 2016 11:11:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I do understand how you feel because I've been there.

Have you considered speaking to a therapist?

As mentioned above, the vehicles could easily be treated with DDVP strips and they are cheap. And as far as the $600 for the PCO, keep in mind the guy who successfully treated us in 2014 only charges $145 per treatment.

9. mp7ski

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Dec 26 2016 16:05:29
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged-cdn - 4 hours ago  » 
    I do understand how you feel because I've been there.
    Have you considered speaking to a therapist?
    As mentioned above, the vehicles could easily be treated with DDVP strips and they are cheap. And as far as the $600 for the PCO, keep in mind the guy who successfully treated us in 2014 only charges $145 per treatment.

I have thought about a therapist but don't have the time to do so. Any time I do have when I'm not working needs to be put towards my family and this problem. It is very much effecting my health though. I have to force feed myself and when I do, can't get much down. My resting heart rate has been averaging 105-110 bpm which is 30-40 beats higher than it should be. I always have that awful feeling in my gut that I doubt will ever go away. I just can't believe this is happening. The only thing that gives me a little bit of hope is the thought of starting completely over but then I realise how close to impossible that is with a 4 person family and even if I managed to coordinate that, spend all that money and take every precaution necessary.... there is still the possibility i could just pick them back up from an unknown source or move into a place that already has them. I knew life was unfair, I knew horrible things happen to people, but this.... I never knew something like this could be so devastating. I'm scared... for once I truly am fearful of where my girls and I will be in a year.

10. bugged-cdn

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Dec 26 2016 19:17:10
    #

Login to Send PM

You're overwhelmed and that's understandable. You will beat this, it will just take some time, and there will be some annoyances along the way.

If your landlord is not hiring a competent PCO, and since it sounds like you have the cash, research your options and hire a better one!

Have you considered a heat treatment?

Dollars to donuts in a year's time bed bugs are a distant memory.

11. mp7ski

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Dec 26 2016 20:34:57
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged-cdn - 1 hour ago  » 
    You're overwhelmed and that's understandable. You will beat this, it will just take some time, and there will be some annoyances along the way.
    If your landlord is not hiring a competent PCO, and since it sounds like you have the cash, research your options and hire a better one!
    Have you considered a heat treatment?
    Dollars to donuts in a year's time bed bugs are a distant memory.

Thanks for the uplifting attitude bugged, cause you're right, I'm overwhelmed. I have literally thought about every option and came up with different plans just to change my mind. From my research I'm not really a fan of thermal, walls are insulated and there will always be cold spots especially in our cold winters, the Orkin guy mentioned they used to do thermal but the failure rates were too high due to cold spots and it makes sense. I've also read about too many thermal failures on top of damages to electronics and other goods. Ive kept an open mind in regards to vikane though, whether it be in a moving truck or in this rental (could possibly get the Landlord to pay for part). As for a more competent pco, I have definitely considered this and if I start seeing more bugs after orkins second treatment or my girls start getting bit quite a bit, you better believe I'll be doing something. Money is not my worry right now, I will spend every last penny I have and go into debt to insure I make it through this, but I want to make sure that money isn't wasted and spent wisely.

12. mp7ski

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Dec 27 2016 15:55:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Well... the bites are back. I've received about 5 clusters in the past few days. I'm obviously not surprised but I'm not sure what to do. Our girls are bouncing back and forth between relatives and daycare while we work and while we take precautions, I fear they aren't enough. We all share a car seat for one of the girls and while we put clothes, jackets and their boots in the dryer for an hour, I'm afraid it doesn't get hot enough. I don't know what to do. I know the infestation is throughout the house and our belongings so i fear bringing in a more competent pco to do chemical treatments will not be enough. If it was an early and contained infestation I could see the possibility of success but that's not the case. The worse part is its winter here in MI, so a heat treatment or vikane isn't an option right now other wise it would already be set in motion. I could wait it out until the spring/summer and vikane the house or a moving truck but that could be 5 or 6 months away and the fear of them multiplying substantially regardless of self treatment scares the cap out of me. Not to mention im not even sure vikane and heat treatment are a possibility due to having a concreit slab pantry and a michigan basement. Also living in the constant fear of spreading them would be so overwhelming. We also don't own a packtite(not really fond of the reviews) but I'm considering buying a thermalstrike ranger(better reviews) to help combat spreading them. This is really starting to take its tole on me and my family. I wish it wasn't winter or I'd tent this place and my vehicle if possibe and take every precaution possible. I'm lost, losing weight, constantly anxious, depressed, scared for my girls and family... i... just... don't... know...

13. Unsure0817

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Dec 27 2016 16:14:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Mp7ski,

Have you seen yohoki's posts? David Cain is helping him, and he has a 5 year infestation! David seems to think they will be able to get it under control with passive monitors and other tactics. Wondering if you could pm Yohoki for some hope and maybe some ideas. I feel really awful for you, but you will persevere! I hope an expert will see this and give you some inspiration. You're somewhat close to Chicago. I wonder if there might be a PCO firm there with specialization. Good luck! And it will get better.

14. mp7ski

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Dec 27 2016 18:10:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Unsure0817 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Mp7ski,
    Have you seen yohoki's posts? David Cain is helping him, and he has a 5 year infestation! David seems to think they will be able to get it under control with passive monitors and other tactics. Wondering if you could pm Yohoki for some hope and maybe some ideas. I feel really awful for you, but you will persevere! I hope an expert will see this and give you some inspiration. You're somewhat close to Chicago. I wonder if there might be a PCO firm there with specialization. Good luck! And it will get better.

I'm thankful for the uplifting and caring attitudes such as yours, it does help a little. It's overwhelming me, I try to stay strong for my gf and girls but find myself breaking down in front of them at the thought of this getting worse real soon and effecting them like it's effected me. They dont understand the seriousness of this which in a way im thankful for but that doesnt change anything. I'm actually about 5-6 hours from Chicago and 3.5 from detroit so that's not really an option. There is only 1 company up here that deals with bed bugs besides orkin and terminix and they don't have great reviews or success. There is rose pest solutions who have offices in chicago, detroit, and grand rapids (which is only a hour and a half away) but again, reviews leave a lot to be desired. I don't want to spend my life savings "controlling" these things, I need to spend it getting rid of them. That's why starting over is so tempting but would be so difficult. I wish I lived in the UK where they have a decon center, that way I wouldn't exactly be starting from scratch.

15. Unsure0817

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Dec 27 2016 18:27:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I hear you! I hope this gets better for you. Like I said, I hope an expert will weigh in.

16. cantcallit2016

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Dec 27 2016 20:39:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Would just like too this I know how you feel summer of 2015 found out had bed bugs got them from someones home I mean it is rough have anxiety and ocd as well have felt with terrible pco had a 900$ recliner broken by one spent last winter sleeping on a encased mattress all had left recliner couch box springs burned all 3 my worse pt. Was having thousands in clothes and having too wash and dry all them moved in may bought everything new since then have had 50 what looks as if too be bite marks but no signs of a actual bed bug just a little blood my mattress and box springs both are encased have a feeling I have them even though a pco has sprayed my apt not seen no signs his self have de on my carpets climbups etc so your not alone on wondering

17. Hell in Chicago

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Dec 28 2016 0:04:32
    #

Login to Send PM

If youre thinking about just chucking everything and totally starting over -- wouldn't this be easier?

By a bunch of Nuvan strips , seal all air ways in the house , put them up in all areas , and all cars. Go away for 3 weeks. Come back air the place out and it should be good. I don't know. To be honest it's what I would do but being in a high rise I don't think thats an option for me. I know it would cost money shacking up in a hotel for 3 weeks bti a mere fraction of the cost of totally startign over.

18. cherriesrus7

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Dec 28 2016 4:12:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been battling the bugs for awhile and finally found two non-chemical solutions that work. First I use a product called PROOF I've only found at WalMart close to the laundry detergents with the other insecticides. It's a spray based on NEEM OIL that kills on contact. The only complaint I have besides the fact that it is a little spendy is that the sprayer gets messed up and stops working. I solve that by switching it out with the sprayer of an empty PROOF bottle that I have saved. It has a strong smell but that is part of why it works so well. The second product I use is called CIMEXA which is an incredibly fine powder composed of silica gel. I apply it to cracks, crevices, all hiding places. I use a hand applicator that works like a small bellows that poufs out the dust(you only need a very light dusting- too heavy and the bugs will detour around). You should use a mask when applying and stay out of the area for about four hours to let the dust settle. It has a desiccating effect and kills those that move through it within 24 to 48 hours. An advantage of the powder is that it is electro-statically charged so that it sticks to their cuticle. It also has a residual effect of 10 years if undisturbed. So once you dust cracks and crevices you may not have to do it again depending on how much activity is generated in that locale. I purchased the dust and applicator on Amazon. They were both relatively inexpensive. So- that's my current experience and, it seems to be working.

19. Livingagain

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Dec 28 2016 16:07:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you put Cimexa around yet? After beds are clear you need to put it on all the pathways the bugs can take to get to you. So around bed legs, on bed frames and around the top of the box springs. Also, around furniture legs, around baseboards and in cracks and crevices of couches, recliners, etc. If furniture is out from walls, the bugs will have to cross dust to get to you. If you're really worried you can do the clear packing tape on top of masking tape around the ceiling. There are lots of little details. Your anxiety and constant researching sounds a lot like me. If you ever wanted to pm me, I would be willing to talk to you.

They are right, though, I had these once and thought I had them again and both times I was grateful for the calm things I did, and regretful of the over-the-top things I did. Soon this will be behind you and you can enjoy being a dad again. They're just like a cockroach, except we really, really care about them being 100% gone. You can do it.

20. CleaningToDeath

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Dec 28 2016 18:06:56
    #

Login to Send PM

You should be able to get your home under control and on the way to complete eradication. My only question is that you are willing to fork out thousands of dollars, but still let your children visit relatives quite often, from what I gather they don't know or had an inspection to deem they have none. Same for daycare.

Since they are relatives, and you are educated as to places to look, you think they would permit you to look at their sofa, chairs, bedding, mattresses?

A new dryer compared to what you are wanting to pay from your savings it a drop in the bucket. Just keep the laundry on the whole sealed ziploc bagging for clean clothing.

21. mp7ski

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Dec 28 2016 18:55:17
    #

Login to Send PM

CleaningToDeath - 22 minutes ago  » 
    You should be able to get your home under control and on the way to complete eradication. My only question is that you are willing to fork out thousands of dollars, but still let your children visit relatives quite often, from what I gather they don't know or had an inspection to deem they have none. Same for daycare.
    Since they are relatives, and you are educated as to places to look, you think they would permit you to look at their sofa, chairs, bedding, mattresses?
    A new dryer compared to what you are wanting to pay from your savings it a drop in the bucket. Just keep the laundry on the whole sealed ziploc bagging for clean clothing.

I actually did buy a new dryer last week and just got a washer today so no more laundry mat at least. I have yet to get zip locks as we've been living out of trash bags. We've been pulling clothes out of trash bags and putting them, shoes and coats in the dryer for an hour before we leave to go anywhere. We haven't seen any bugs since we disposed of the couches (improperly, unfortunately, in a panic) so it's not like theyre crawling everywhere yet. We plan on just doing a small load of our dirty clothes each day to keep dirty clothes to a minimum and then washing and drying our bedding every few days. I have found dried fecal and what appeared to be an egg on the window sill but no bug so who knows. I'm pulling the bed away from the wall and plan on applying some cimexa to the bottom few inches of the bed and frame. Unfortunately I can't control if they go to relatives or not. I'm actually not their biological father, they're my gfs girls. But I treat them as mine and would give up everything for them. They have to go to their dad's every weekend so that's the scary part. They go crazy if they don't see their grandpa("papa") so not seeing him isn't an option either. That's what's so overwhelming about this. I can't just live out of bags and cut off family visits forever because of this. I'm buying a thermal strike ranger soon so I can treat boots and other things that can't go in a dryer on top of methodically treating personal belongings we have bagged in a quarantine area of the house. This is just driving me crazy. I have my moments like now, where I'm not in too bad of a mood and can think straight but most the time I'm a complete wreck.

22. Livingagain

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Dec 28 2016 19:10:58
    #

Login to Send PM

The Thermal Strike heater that I have you have to bag the things you put in it because the closure is not bug proof. Also air can't move around the contents, which is much more effective. If I had to do it over, I'd choose a Zappbug instead, or a pactite. I think the bad reviews come from the price, not sure.

But I guess any of them are an improvement over nothing.

23. mp7ski

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Dec 29 2016 2:23:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Now I'm thinking of eventually investing in a packtite closet. That way over time I can debug what I have left as far as belongings and then bag them and put them in a quarantined area. Then I can eventually just move out after debugging everything and hopefully leave these spawns of satan behind. I do have a few concerns regarding the use of the packtite though, where should I keep it, anywhere I keep it in the house has most definitely been exposed to bugs so isn't there a risk of them infesting the outside of the packtite? Also, what should I use to store debugged belongings, I was thinking a vacuum sealed bag but there would be hiding places for bugs or eggs in the cap to the vacuum seal part. Could use jumbo ziplocks but they can easily come open. Hmmmm... any thoughts?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

274,592 posts in 45,046 topics over 137 months by 19,776 of 20,508 members. Latest: Mousehead, AnxietyCentral, Ohhmichasia