Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Maximum Life Span of a Bed Bug

(19 posts)
  1. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Feb 14 2017 15:09:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    What is the maximum life span of a bed bug?

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Feb 14 2017 16:31:07
    #

Login to Send PM

In your house there all dead.

3. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Feb 14 2017 16:32:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm asking as a question. And, I thought you said I didn't have any so how would they be dead.

4. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Feb 14 2017 17:18:57
    #

Login to Send PM

The consensus is 18 months in ideal conditions. To be honest faye, if you had bed bugs, you'd know it by now. I wish I was in your situation. Thinking I had bed bugs when I didnt. You definitely have a serious case of head bugs. Why are you so caught up on bed bugs?

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  5. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Feb 14 2017 17:35:35
    #

Login to Send PM

18 months is often quoted for unfed bed bugs. I am asking about bed bugs that are fed. I may have introduced a bed bug 3 1/2 months ago so I am not certain of my situation and neither are you. I am sorry for what you're going through, especially with little children, and I hope you resolve it sooner rather than later. It sounds terrible. I was simply asking a question.

6. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Feb 14 2017 17:40:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I may have introduced a bed bug 3 1/2 months ago

And maybe you didn't. So how long are you going to keep this up? Three months longer? Six? A year? The rest of your life? At what point do you face the reality that you need to get off this site and live your life?

7. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Feb 14 2017 19:35:22
    #

Login to Send PM

It is confusing as I read that an adult bed bug feeding regularly lives only a matter of months, but then also read that they can live over a year without eating. If you read through these PDFs you will find entomologists saying a normal life cycle of a fed bed bug is 2-6 months, and others say it is 6-12 months.
    https://www.epa.gov/bedbugs/bed-bug-clearinghouse-topic

(In animals life span is increased when food is limited so I wonder if that is why hungry bed bugs are reported to live longer than fed bed bugs? )

I know you don't have any traps on your furniture so are you wondering if what you saw was a male bbug *and* it was feeding regularly (unnoticed) then how long would it live?

Account closed
  8. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Feb 14 2017 19:39:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm,
    Thanks for your response. I am not sure what I saw and that is what is driving me crazy, but I do know that if it was a bed bug there was definitely a source of food.

9. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Feb 14 2017 19:40:54
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged-cdn - 1 hour ago  » 

I may have introduced a bed bug 3 1/2 months ago

And maybe you didn't. So how long are you going to keep this up? Three months longer? Six? A year? The rest of your life? At what point do you face the reality that you need to get off this site and live your life?

Right, I have a confirmed bed bug infestation and yet I tell myself all the time I need to get off this site and live my life.

10. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Feb 14 2017 19:51:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your response. I am not sure what I saw and that is what is driving me crazy, but I do know that if it was a bed bug there was definitely a source of food.

What I meant is, they don't live forever... so if it WAS a male bbug and is feeding regularly (unnoticed). How long would it live in that environment?

11. cantcallit2016

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Feb 14 2017 20:27:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Fayestate just out of curiosity have you ever found any fecal ,skins or even a bite just seen your post?

12. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Feb 15 2017 9:22:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I am not aware of the research having been done to accurately answer that question. We can answer how long bed bugs tend to survive in controlled colonies (and even that varies lab to lab).

To answer the question you have asked we would need to track the life of a single adult of female bed bug deliberately released in a home and to do that repeatedly until you get a large enough sample set to be confident of the data that you generate.

Now this is what I mean about a "rut" that people get stuck in. Some people naturally gravitate to being transfixed on an aspect of bed bugs thinking it should be a simple question but he reality is that its not.

Often this requires the support of the people around them to "nudge" and "bounce" them out of the rut in order for things to move forward in a positive way again. I hope you have some friends or family around you who will recognize that need and help you out.

However, logic would dictate that in an occupied property where bed bugs do not enter stasis to conserve energy and await the next meal the life cycle is likely to be shorter than the maximum survival time. If for no other reason than as a pattern most organisms that need to rapidly colonize areas have short but productive life cycles. It also helps as a mechanism for developing resistance or adapting to tough conditions.

Hope that helps explain.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  13. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Feb 15 2017 16:47:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your response, David. I think your monitors are helping me calm down.

14. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Feb 15 2017 17:26:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi FayeState,

Good.

Please don't take this as being anything other than through interest in your own mental well being but it is my experienced opinion that the forum is not a positive place for you. I think you would benefit from limiting your time and being mindful of the fact that as some questions are more complex than they first appear they may at times be better off not asked.

I know its cold in the windy city at this time of year but a trip up the tower may help you gain a healthier perspective on the world.

David

15. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Feb 15 2017 19:27:39
    #

Login to Send PM

David,
    Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I have a research background and am use to asking questions.

16. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Feb 15 2017 19:44:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi FayeState,

I know what you mean but even I have people who come in to drag me away from a keyboard periodically.

Equally I have learned there are some subjects I must avoid if I wish to ever sleep again.

David

17. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Feb 15 2017 20:28:14
    #

Login to Send PM

David,
    I am trying to take your advice and appreciate it. When I just installed your monitor on my bed I was checking several times a day. Now I don't even do it every day so that is progress. Thanks.

18. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Feb 15 2017 21:06:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi FayeState,

Awesome.

But there is something restorative in looking off onto the horizon which I want you to reconnect with.

Now go and do this:

IMG_5519 by David Cain, on Flickr

And feel on top of the world (heck post us a selfie).

Or reflect on the world around you:

IMG_5471 by David Cain, on Flickr

David

19. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Feb 15 2017 21:11:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. David. I will look into that.

I am generally not afraid of bugs. We have ants every summer and they leave after about a month so they annoy us, but do not stress me. I just wait it out. But what stresses me with bed bugs is I know you can't just wait them out and that the treatments I've found out about in Chicago area, with the exception of heat, all involve chemicals, and chemicals scare me. I spoke to a place that says they use green but they give no guarantee on it - for that you need to use their chemicals. I am uncertain how I feel about heat from what I've read. We need what you have in more places like Chicago. I, hopefully, don't have bed bugs now, and, therefore, no need for treatment, but I'm telling you where a lot of my anxiety comes from.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs